Olivia Newton-John. Your first album.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I've had the same thought. Olivia seems to have gone off recording lately. It would be a shame if she went out on this..

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I swear I saw anb interview with her recently that covered why she stopped singing - it was to do with the death of her sister. She's back singing now though as I recall.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

I saw that interview too. She has her Vegas show and is working hard. Wouldn't mind a new album, though!

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I hate the face lift. I wish beautiful women would just let nature take it's course. My first Olivia was Let Me Be There.

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I agree, but it's strange...I don't think the...oddness there in that pic is all due to the face lift. There are times the last decade or so where I will see photos and video or interviews with her and she looks amazing,like she's just aging very well, but naturally. Then there are times like in the above CD cover where she looks...weird. Not later day Joan Rivers bad...but somewhat off. I frankly blame Botox and bad airbrushing for mishaps like above. (the CD cover itself. Not the content on the CD. That sadly can't be explained away as easily.)

As I've stated before,It's sad that she (and other women both in entertainment and outside it) feels she has to hide her flaws. She is 66 years old and looks incredible for her age without the face freezing botox and airbrushing. She doesn't need the extra "help" to stay radiant and youthful. I hope she doesn't go any further down the "must stay young at any costs" road as she approaches 70 and beyond.

Jarleboy and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  6. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

By far the worst thing she ever did. I refuse to even buy it and I'm a hardcore ONJ fan.

7. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I found it at a Goodwill last year. It's good.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. catteste

catteste Mental Radio Transmission

If Not For You - Bought in KL, Malaysia in 1971.
    I had a big poster of that album cover on my bedroom wall.
    I was 12

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Wow! Now that's cool!

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

And if it was my first then it would be my last after listening to it. :)

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

My mother had Greatest Hits lying around on 8-track, and then she picked up Greatest Hits Vol. 2 on cassette. I was eight years old and was struck by the difference in style and image between the two. Let Me Be There was a fun singalong, but I preferred the slick and sexy ONJ, not the straight-laced country girl ONJ. Xanadu aside, I haven't bought a proper album of hers yet, but if I did, it would likely be "Totally Hot" on Japanese vinyl. I like how "A Little More Love" so confidently announces that the "new Olivia" has arrived.

PS I did buy "Magic: The Very Best of ONJ" on CD, but I don't count that since it's a compilation rather than an album.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not counting "Grease", my first - and to my mind, only* - ONJ album was "Totally Hot". I liked ONJ because of her exposure in "Grease" and did enjoy "TH" a lot. I was 11 back when it came out - wasn't interested in whatever she did after that.

I remember my family and I were at Kemp Mill Music in early 1979 and they had one of those stand-up cutouts of ONJ to promote the album. I asked if I could have it and the store said sure. However, once my dad saw it, he refused to let me take it home. Perhaps he was afraid I'd do obscene things to the life-size cutout! :laugh:

*I own/have owned and traded copies of a few other ONJ CDs. I don't count them because I only bought them due to their status as early pressings. An album only "counts" as part of my "true collection" if I bought it because I wanted to hear the music, not because I'm a dorky early pressings collector! :)

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

If you're after albums that show the 'slick and sexy' Olivia, absolutely go for Totally Hot. Physical is another excellent option.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

She's one of those artists with whom I've always loved the hits but never got around to digging any deeper. After reading this thread, I'm off to do that! ;)

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. Pizza

If Not for You was my first album.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

In 1971?

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Have You Never Been Mellow on 8-track, 1974

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Mine was HYNBM too, as I said at the start of this thread. I bought it in April 1975 and started backtracking with her catalogue almost immediately. Music Makes My Day was second. However, only 4 years later, her first 2 albums were deleted here.. Took me years to get hold of them, though I did get most of the songs from them on the Crystal Lady comp in 1977.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

If you like laid back ONJ, HYNBM is a good place to start, though it's her 5th album.

Jarleboy and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Physical in the summer of '81, but I'm not counting Grease soundtrack or any of the 45s from Xanadu which were my first exposure to the magic of ONJ (pun intended!).

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

The very first disc (album) was the Greatest Hits ONJ, and of corse the Grease Soundtrack, The first full album I got was Totally Hot, and I really liked that one, then I picked up, Xanadx, Physical (regular & 180g MCA), GH 2, and Two Of A Kind, was the last album I bought. I did get Magic: The Very Best of Olivia Newton-John and the Xanadx and Grease Soundtracks. I might have to look for Totally Hot and Physical on CD.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Pizza

Yes. I loved that song so I saved my allowance to buy the album.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Have You Never Been Mellow was my first ONJ album. I think it was $3.89 at the little record shop within an easy bike ride from my house. It had a tick in It's So Easy that became so much a part of the album for me that I still miss it on the replacement copy I bought maybe 10 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

I know what you mean. My copy of Come On Over had a skip on Wrap Me In Your Arms that I still listen out for on the SACD nearly 40 years later!

Mellow was my first ONJ album too. A great place to start.

25. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Mine was The Rumour, purely on the strength of the single, or rather the Shep Pettibone remix. Think I got Physical next and Greatest Hits 2 for the song Heart Attack.

I'm not massively familiar with a lot of her work but what I do know distils down to Landslide - The Rumour - Magic - Heart Attack.

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.