Any fans of legendary country singer Bobby Lewis?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by melstapler, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone else is a fan of Bobby Lewis ? Although he is excellent, I'm not referring to the Bobby Lewis who had two memorable Pop/R&B hits in 1961 with 'Tossin' And Turnin' and 'One Track Mind.'

I'm eluding to the 1960s classic country singer/songwriter who to this day, still plays a custom 6-string lute. Bobby's lute is very similar to a standard acoustic guitar, but not without some tonal differences. He is probably the only artist in country music who plays a lute at live recordings and in the recording studio. Lewis released a whopping 26 Country charted singles from 1966 to 1985, with 14 for United Artists, 5 for Ace Of Hearts, two with GRT, 3 for RPA and one each for Capricorn and HME. Lewis also released a total of 9 albums with United Artists.

Bobby Lewis is not some obscure country artist who had only one hit. He actually became a member of the Grand Ole Opry and continues to perform and record new material. Bobby's recent studio albums of "new" material were released by Heart Of Texas music, an independent classic country label which hosts package concerts and tours showcasing classic country artists.

However, the back catalog of Bobby Lewis' original recordings has been criminally neglected when it comes to reissues and compilations. I'm hoping that Bear Family Records will release either a box set or some sort of compilation showcasing the essential hits and album cuts from the prime of his classic output.

2. melstapler

3. melstapler

4. melstapler

5. melstapler

6. melstapler

7. melstapler

8. melstapler

9. melstapler

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I love him and have for many years, he made some very fine records, and I always loved his UA output.

melstapler likes this.
  11. melstapler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.