Tina Turner - Foreign Affair and her other comeback albums.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevepafford

stevepafford Well-Known Member

People wrote her off when Break Every Rule and its singles didn't do half as well, but she well and truly returned with The Best. Like the Bucks Fizz track someone posted, Tina's was the definitive version and made Bonnie Tyler's attempt sound utterly naff.

Bobby Morrow and DesertHermit like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Did you see the deals on the Demon site of the Bananarama and Belinda bundles? Amazing savings. Don't think they ship abroad though... Yes, the Kylie ones are a bit steep. They're only charging that much because it's her and they know all the fans will get them anyway!

DesertHermit likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

I like a bit of Bonnie, but she's no match for Tina, no.

4. stevepafford

She should've stayed lost in France.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Bonnies version of The Best was poor, and I think it was actually the original version too?

I loathe the song generally due to overplay, but I think it is a good example of where production makes a song. Same as Tina vs Aswad and Don't Turn Around.

To drop another bit of Fizz trivia in, they also did the original version of Give A Little Love, which was Aswads follow up to Don't Turn Around!

6. stevepafford

Massive Attack's version of Unfinished Sympathy wasn't anywhere near as good as Tina's either.

7. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Agreed, Tina did a fantastic version of that. I thought her version of Whatever You Want was better than Taylor Daynes too.

Wildest Dreams is an album I rarely re-visit though. It didn't grab me at the time. I thought there were some weird single choices, and too many granny rock ballads. I wanted more tracks like Do What You Do, with the wonderful Graham Broad on drums.

8. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I love Bonnie and I actually adore the album her version of "The Best" comes from - Notes from America (North American title); Hide Your Heart (international title). That album has some interesting tidbits.

Interestingly enough, on that album she also covers "Don't Turn Around" and it's a great cover. I like it better than Tina's, though Tina does a superior job with "The Best".

Bonnie also sang "Hide Your Heart" around the time KISS got to it (she recorded it first even though Paul Stanley co-wrote it).

Bonnie sang "Save Up All Your Tears" a few years before Cher covered it (Cher's is the superior version).

She also covers "To Love Somebody" (fantastic version).

I totally agree about the idea of Edsel reissuing Tina. And while they're at it, they could reissue Bonnie's '80s albums. :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    DesertHermit likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

I will say Taylor Dayne's Can't Fight Fate is the best Tina Turner album that Tina never did!

10. Bobby Morrow

Got remastered Japanese CDs of Faster Than The Speed Of Night and Secret Dreams & Forbidden Fire about 5 years ago. Both have a bonus track apiece and sound great.

11. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I have the Japanese remaster of Secret Dreams & Forbidden Fire, and you're right it does sound good. But it's OOP and goes for big bucks. I don't know if there would be enough interest for a Bonnie reissue campaign.

But, for Tina, they definitely should do it. Gather up the Mad Max singles and their accompanying remixes. But would the go on Private Dancer or Break Every Rule? Decisions, decisions...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Goodsideofme

Goodsideofme New Member

Hi everybody,

Just joined this forum after reading this thread. Great to read people's vision of Tina's comeback albums from a non "hardcore fan" point of view but still real "connoisseur".

You really got me curious on that one Alan! I've been in touch with people with Rhino UK last year to promote a new compilation "Love Songs" (yes another one), on my blog. I jumped on this occasion to asked about some special edition of Private Dancer but nothing in the pipe... A really missed occasion...
    But today (Feb 11) i found a link to a few Japanese websites (not sure if there reliable so i won't put the link, you can easily find them on google) mentioning a 2 CDS "30th anniversary edition" release from Warner Japan coming May 2015. Could mostly be the already released 'EMI Anniversary" cd. Won't put too much hope on it but you never know...

Totally agree Bobby, and i know it's been discussed later and didn't get much praise from you guys but i have Wildest Dreams in a very high esteem lol, i know it has its flaw and it's a bit over the top sometimes but it contains real gems. And i can't believe that Twenty Four Seven could be her last record studio album (not mentioning her present Beyond work ).

Great work, important to preserve these records, had the chance to got them from German collectors. Of course official releases would be awesome but since Tina is retired, management and record company just don't bother doing anything. Don't know if there's much un-released Tina material in the vaults (like the cover of Robbie William's Feel) and i guess recorded around 1999 for the latest. Any thoughts on this?

Sorry if it's a bit long and probably forget things but if you want to check up my work about Tina and a specific album or era, have a look at tinaturnerblog.com and use the "search bar" ;)
    Best!
    Ben

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Hi and welcome :)

There is, I believe, quite a bit of unreleased material, including a 2004 album I have been told. Tina wouldn't tour it so a Best Of came out instead. There's quite a bit from BER and I expect some other bits and bobs. Certainly some remixes from aborted singles. I may get a chance to talk to Trevor Horn again next month and really want to ask if he remembers any more unused songs from his album project.

Re PD 30th anniversary this is interesting. They have my tracklist on it so perhaps it will be used after all. I was quite specific in it, including all the August '84 live recordings that should be used. It covered everything released in that era.

14. Bobby Morrow

Welcome to SHF!

Any fan of Tina's is welcome. And if you like Olivia, even better!:)

I do love Tina's 3 80's albums. I think Foreign Affair got the best out of her, but it's pretty close with the other 2. Wildest Dreams I like a bit less. I have the UK and US versions. The former has 12 tracks and the latter 14. Also some tracks have different mixes, IIRC. I do like the bombast of the production, but think the songs are less impressive on WD overall..

Great news about the 30th Ann PD. Though it's techically 31 now! Hope that comes off.

15. Goodsideofme

Goodsideofme New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  16. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Please tell me you're at the wind-up again. I mean, I like Tina's version but come on.... Her version of Whatever You Want is indeed way better than Taylor Dayne's however.

17. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

When I mention the August 1984 live recordings I mean the Chicago ones that were used as B-sides at the time, or, in the case of Better Be Good To Me, the live US 12". The versions released on vinyl are usually longer than the ones on the PC Live set, and so I wanted to be sure the longest versions were used to get all the authentic era material "as it was" so to speak. Track list wise I positioned it so that it included everything - all the 12" versions, the radio edit of Help, instrumental of What's Love which is now out digitally, as well as both edits of Total Control and Keep Your Hands Off My Baby. I would have liked a look at the archives for Tina for that era but I wasn't given any access so essentially I compiled a comprehensive collection of what related to the time. I'm sure there are probably some other Carter tracks knocking about and non remixed versions of the title track and Steel Claw. They might be using a completely different track list though. I guess we'll see.

Tina may have a lot of authority about what can and can't be released. I don't know. May be why they have taken so long.

18. Quim

Quim Forum Resident

... and what about the "Live in Europe"? Love that album, one of the best live albums of all time!

19. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

I'd also like to see deluxe editions of Private Dancer and the subsequent "comeback" albums with b-sides, etc. There is certainly plenty of material.

20. Bobby Morrow

Does anyone have any more info on the 30th anniversary edition of Private Dancer?

21. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I have heard nothing about this and am beginning to think it was all just a rumour...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

I think it was supposed to be released in April or May so they're cutting it a bit fine...

23. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Haven't they well and truly missed the boat for the 30th? Wasn't it released in 1984 ? Then again, Cyndi Lauper's She's So Unusual was released in 1983 but got the 30th anniversary treatment in 2014...

24. Bobby Morrow

Yeah, Private Dancer was released in the summer of 1984, so it'll have to be the 31st Anniversary Edition now! Hope it does come out, though..

andy75 and DesertHermit like this.
  25. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

& Michael Jacksons Thriller 25 came out in 2008. 26 years after!

DesertHermit and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.