Are MC ALWAYS Superior to MM Cartridges On All Types of Vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomd, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

I always thought Moving coil cartridges were superior to moving magnet cartridges due to the increased performance (handle lower level signals) but someone recently posted moving magnet might be the better choice on "newer vinyl" as far as rock/pop records go.Is there any truth to this statement or is the moving coil design better than moving magnet when everything else is identical ?(phono stage,arm)

2. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I have owned several thousands of dollars worth of MC cartridges in the past.

I've found that I get more of what I like from MM's these days, so it's all what you're looking for.

3. tomd

Generally what are the sound differences? Can you describe the sound of moving coils vs. moving magnets like one has better bass/dynamics while the other has smoother mids and better highs or is that not correct?

Heckto35 likes this.
  4. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

I have used MC cartridges Audio Technica ATF5 /OC9/OC5 , Sumiko Blue Point Special & Denon DL304. I found that the sound could boarder from astonishing to abysmal . To be fair someone has to convince me otherwise because we start getting into the land of hideously priced phono stages /step up transformers/interconnects just to play a record. In the last 2 years I have used the Ortofon 2M RED & BLUE . They are excellent & sound superb for Rock. Plenty of clarity as well but has the guts that the MCs lacked . Oh btw I am playing my copy of Raw Power right now & sounds superb!

Eyal and thejammy like this.
  5. tomd

That's great to hear.I have a well regarded MM cartridge for it's price point $299 (Shelter 201) but it always seems the high $$$ are moving coils,so I figured the Better performers are ALL moving coils.Are there any expensive moving magnets ? I ask cause my phono stage (a Pure Sound P-10) is for Moving Magnet only and would have to add the cost of either upgrading the stage or adding a sut if I went Moving Coil.

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think it's a personal preference thing. I went from an OC9 MC to a Maestro Ebony v2 MM and while I like it I think I should have just gone ahead and gotten the Lyra.

7. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'm not that great at describing sound, but the MM's I like have a smoother/meaty sound in the mids, and more bass slam than the MC's I've owned. The air in the treble may be a little less, but that's not enough benefit as the mids, and lows to me.

It all depends on your SUT or MC pre-amp used, and the loading is very important also with MC's.

It still boils down to personal preference, which makes a MM or MC better.

8. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I'm currently using an Ortofon Quintet Bronze on a Pro-Ject Perspex. And I am beginning to understand why some say MC carts might not be the best choice for Rock. But since I use my table for needledrops exclusively, I like the detail of the Quintet.

Perhaps I should look into a Soundsmith cart. Best of both worlds?

9. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

IME a properly-loaded LOMC cartridge delivers more of what I like in music than a MM cartridge. But the reality is "the beauty of the sound is in the beholder."

10. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I am getting a lot of pleasure from the AT150ANV, a highly regarded MM. It also sounds excellent with the ATN150MLX stylus fitted - smooth, punchy and great with rock, prog and any sort of music really. It does require very precise alignment to get the best out of it though

Thorensman and jupiterboy like this.
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There's a number of situations where one is better off with a moving magnet. First off, most LOMCs are also low compliance and need higher mass arms to work properly. I have a SME III arm, did not work well for the previous owner who was using a LOMC with the arm. The Shure 97xe cartridge works better in that arm than the LOMC did. Another consideration would be for the record collector who has older or damaged records, where being able to switch out styli would be useful, to conical instead of elliptical styli or a larger stylus tip for early mono records. Also 78 collectors can switch out styli. And it's easier to replace the styli with MM than MC cartridges.

12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Either type of design can be great with any type of record or music in my experience. How well either type of design works in any given set up has more to do with the individual cartridge, the mass/compliance match with the tone arm, and the gain/loading match with the phono stage. MC's have the inherent design advantages of lower inductance and impedance (and therefore less frequency response interactions in the audio band due to typical capacitance and resistance loads) and greater ease in achieving lower moving mass; but in practice great MMs in proper set ups can sound just as great.

Heckto35 and Shiver like this.
  13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

An entry end moving coil (ie: Denon DL-110) can't compete with an upper tier MM or MI.

The Good Guy likes this.
  14. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

MCs seem to be regarded by the hi-fi community to be the pinnacle of cartridge performance and who am I to challenge that. I use MMs on both my main TTs (one-piece arms/headshells) partly for practical reasons:

- I can easily swap to a lower cost stylus for 'background' listening
    - there is no need to send the whole cartridge away for re-tipping because of wear or accidental damage (which happened several years ago)
    - this also avoids the need to go through the whole alignment process again which in my case is OCD-precise!
    - I do not need a SUT with my MM phono stages or the cost of a dedicated MC stage. I prefer to spend on more vinyl!
    - my listening preferences are harder edged music and often at loud volume levels (never classical) and for me high end MMs seem ideal for that

Eyal and RedPines like this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The price and retipping/rebuilding cost is the main reason I have not ventured into MC carts. Thought about it, but decided not to. Maybe at some point, but not now.

16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I like my Denon DL-110, but it only sounds good on records that are minty condition. My AT-440 will sound great on any record.

17. I have not listened to many MC cartridges, but I find they can sound cold and sterile. My next cartridge will be a higher end MI.

Mr Bass likes this.
  18. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Take a look at the cost of replacement stylus for the Ortofon 2M Black, or the Goldring 2400. All of a sudden, sending your MC to the SoundSmith for a retip looks like a real bargain.

Despite it's flaws, the old Denon DL-103R is anything but cold and sterile.

jeff

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The Denon DL-110 (high output MC cart) is more "musical" than the AT-440 (MM cart) that I have. This has been my experience.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Ortofon styli seem overpriced compared to replacements from companies like Audio Technica and Nagoka with roughly equivalent or better specs.

But I see your point.

Heckto35 likes this.
  21. Just to clear things up: I didn't say they were.
    Personally speaking, and at the end of the day, I prefer MM/MI cartridges.

22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

This would be my post - exactly!

My main players are rock/pop/soul, 60's jazz, and 50's country. My feeling is classical and other music genres with more finesse & nuance would benefit more from a MC.

Mr Bass likes this.
  23. Roger C

Roger C Near Kalamazoo Michigan

I love my Soundsmith Carmen and Aida, but I have not had a lot of other cartridges for comparisonin my systems.

24. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The genres that you like can have plenty of finesse & nuance. :)

25. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I haven't had tons of experience. However, I did start off with the 2m Red, then switched to the Clearaudio Concept MM, and now currently on the Concept MC.
    Each step of the way has been an improvement for me.
    I did notice a significant drop of surface noise from the Concept MM to MC. I think that is due to the stylus shape. The MC uses a MicroLine which goes deeper into the grooves. Very awesome.
    If I ever go back to MM, I'd go with the 2M Black or some other high end MM with a MicroLine, SAS, or Shibata style tip.

Heckto35 and quadjoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.