The"what,what?" Rega white belt upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Aug 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Record on platter, phone on record in center up against spindle, stylus on records outer grooves...

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Ah...well that won't work with an iPhone 6+.

3. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have a 5s, use something to bridge the spindle like a cut down paper cup.

4. CrimsonKink

CrimsonKink Forum Resident

I've been using white belts on my P9 for... i'm not sure, but over two years I think. I sat down to listen tonight after a bit of vinyl hiatus and things did sound right at all. I started with a new record so changed to something familiar. Still not good. Popped off the platter and spun the spindle manually. A distinct bump in both belts. Pulled them off and found that they'd gone out of round, deformed to the drive pattern. (would post pic but our only option is a url path?) I don't know what life expectancy these should have but they didn't like being "rested" in my case.
    Thanks to this thread i found that Analogue Seduction's pricing, for two belts, is a significant discount.

5. Tom Wimeth

Tom Wimeth New Member

I have had a white belt for a while, still had w&f. The Groovetracer Subplatter fixed it.
    rp3, tt-psu, white belt, Groovetracer reference subplatter.

Raunchnroll and jon9091 like this.
  6. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Strange thing but the app Turntabulator never seems to be able measure my RP6 with a RP8 platter on and Tangospinner sub. I had emails and measures going to the developer but he couldn't say what was the problem. Only thing he could think of was that there was NO deviation so the measurements flipped out.

No one else had any problems with this app giving a result?

7. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Strange. Those times Turntabulator reads for me the Blue belt give me 33.6 while the white belt give me 33.4.

8. That is not what I would have expected.

9. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I made a mistake here and need to update. Too dark in my listening room and to many belts (white, black, blue, red) :). I measured with the black belt and it was 33.6. Changed to the blue and it measure 33.3. :righton:

10. I never did get around to upgrading to the white belt but I did do the dual pulley/dual black belt upgrade and couldn't be happier. Rock solid speed & consistency and superfast startup. I think this route has slightly more science behind it and might prove to be a beneficial alternative to a lot of people out there and the cost is about the same.

11. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Where can I find a dual belt pulley for $60 bucks?!

12. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

13. Analogman

Maybe I am stupid, but I have never understood how a round profile belt on a REGA with a FIXED motor can change the speed (I am a mechanic/machinist by trade, retired)

The gear ratio remains constant

To be clear, I am not talking about the O-ring suspended motors of REGAs past; I can easily understand how slightly different belt sizes can impact those (the motor drive pulley can move toward ad away from the sub platter)

Talking correct diameter belts or even those a little snug here

The ratio remains the same on a fixed motor design

I have a Planar 25 and recently bought a new white belt for maintenance; could hear no difference from the black one I took off

Only changed it because of age and the price for either or is a rip off and not that far apart, so I figured what the hell

Maybe the too tight belts do make the motors move towards the platter a little bit, just not noticeably so visually

REGA with their sticky tape motor mounts and all

Analogman

14. Analogman

15. Nope. And mine was from Michael Limm. I think it was $40

16. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Sorry. You mean? I don't have the pulley myself. Only his sub platter.

I have 2 Rega black, 1 Rega white, 1 Tangospinner red and 1 Edward blue belt. All round but slightly different diameter. The blue is a tiny bit thinner too. All give different speeds when measured. It's not much but it's different for sure.

Measures like this for me.

Black and white 33.6
    Blue 33.3
    Red 33.2

17. Analogman

How do you have both speeds with these?
    The double belt types
    Or does his system allow for easy pulley changes when you want to change speed?
    http://tangospinner.com/web/products/pulleys/prod/6

18. Analogman

I believe you, but it would seem to me that the smaller diameter belts are just pulling the motor a fractional amount towards the pulley, yes?

That would explain the small differences in speed you are measuring; the belts have different inside diameters

If the drive pulley (motor) was truly "fixed" as in rigid then a slightly tighter belt should not make any difference

The rubber would stretch before the pulley would lean (again, if the motor were truly stationary)

I have never owned a REGA on which the motor would not move if pressed a bit and on the old O-ring suspended types they relied on centrifugal force and the effects of torque to ultimately tension the belt and keep the pulley shaft "straight"
    (everyone has heard the old REGA knock on start up; the sound of the motor flopping around in it's little plastic cover, orienting itself)

All of this assuming a properly ground belt with no lumps in it

19. O.k., that is what I expected. I was a little confused first.

Doesn't it feel great to have the Rega run at the right speed?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  20. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Absolutely :) Only thing I started to think about now is that I measure without a record and without the needled grabbing the groove and some claims this is why the Rega measures fast without it but is spot on when playing a record. I will satisfy with this for now :)

21. Analogman

I just looked at it, thank you

You do lose 45 rpm unless you have an external speed controller

A TTPSU would negate the need for the esoteric pulleys, wouldn't it?

I mean that's the point, right?

Analogman

22. The difference with and wthout needle in the groove came out to be 0.03 rpm with my Rega RP6. I have 33.35 rpm without needle in the groove and 33.32 rpm with needle in the groove. The results are super consistent, I can make 10 measurements in a row and get the same results. Same thing when measuring again a week later. I am using the Tabulator app for iPhone in EXACT mode. Works great.

I would consider anything between 33.35 and 33.30 pretty much spot-on.

23. I didn't think so. I can however, attest to marked improvements with the dual pulley & belts. And I noticed a great improvement previously with the addition of the TTPSU.

24. Analogman

What voltage is your table?

What TTPSU do you have and is it model/line specific?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.