"Lost In Space" Complete TV series coming from Fox Video on blu-ray Sept. 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

After all this time, one can still recognize her cute key features - the smile, nose and eyes.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Same here. I'm looking forward to seeing the other two seasons in HD color.

3. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has put on weight over the years.

4_everyman likes this.
  4. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Alright Harry!....just when I was "almost there" ;)
    (wonders aloud to himself) where IS that picture of Karen, anyway? :)

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I thought the TT DVDs looked fabulous!

Jose Jones likes this.
  6. Michael

tough how we have to get old...love Penny!

7. Michael

OK, I see...at least you saved some wasted coin!

8. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

I haven't got ANY "Lost In Space" episodes in my home theater library, so I'll be starting fresh...I waited specifically hoping that Fox would ultimately remaster the series in 1080p and put it out on blu-ray so that I'd only have to get it once...looks like my patience will finally pay off...:winkgrin:

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool show. I have seen a few reruns, lately.

11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I don't recall the current color seasons looking quite as bad as the example they use, but the HD does look nice.

Does this mean they are planning to crop it to 1.78:1?

The countdown opening sure brings back memories!

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, he worked for the "Red Chinese" according to the pilot.

xilef regnu likes this.
  13. Michael

too bad they aren't also releasing this on DVD as well.
    The BR will be Full Frame correct?

14. Michael

loved the way he played a heavy in the first few episodes...but, he knew he wasn't going to last so he created another Dr. Smith...smart move on his part. Sure miss him.

hidden1one likes this.
  15. Michael

geez, I hope not! How dare they even consider it!

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is a rare case where an actor opted to change his own dialogue, and the producers went along with it. Harris was a very clever, talented guy who was a total scene-stealer, and made a calculated risk that made him the de facto star of the series. He had a great voice, too.

17. Michael

yes he voiced many cartoons, etc...he told me he knew he was going to be killed off, so he took matters into his own hands. He truly was a great man and friend. He had so many amazing stories! a kind soul. Did you hear if this is going to be full frame or WS?

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Right. He was scary for the first couple of episodes--a real, menacing, heavy. After that, he became Dr. The Pain The Pain.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A friend of mine who saw the early test transfers said it was all 4x3. My bet is that they'll simultaneously create a 16x9 version for TV syndication.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  20. Michael

good... give us the proper 4X3 on home video! thanks...

21. Michael

Indeed! he played that part to perfection...

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

This is part of my current confusion. Look at Amazon reviews of the full series on DVD and read the almost exclusively glowing reviews of how great the series looks. ARE THEY KIDDING?

LOST IN SPACE on DVD has been the poster child for poorly-mastered discs from the beginning. The color seasons are all bleedy and smeary in the colors. There's no detail at all, and to top it all off, there are horizontal lines that appear, looking like old VHF interference waves. (I'm sure Vidiot can tell us what those really are.)

The black & white season doesn't look as bad at first glance - but really it's just because there are no colors to bleed. The horizontal lines are still there.

- These are portions of screencaps at the full-screen resolution on my 23" computer monitor. If these are shown at normal DVD resulotion, the lines disappear into the small image:

[​IMG]
    This is a viewscreen at Alpha Control in the first episode. Notice the parallel horizontal lines that are seen all over, but in most cases are more pronounced near the edges of the picture, and in larger, lighter backgrounds.

[​IMG]
    From the second season opener, "Blast Off Into Space", notice first the horizontal parallel lines in the white area of the Jupiter Two on the right. Then notice that they appear in Penny's red outfit as well. Finally, notice how the edges of characters have little distinction, but rather sort of bleed into the next object/background.

This is the way LOST IN SPACE on DVD looks to me. It was always a disappointment, but back in the 27" Sony CRT days, it could serve as a reasonably pleasing picture. On today's large-screen LCD/LED/plasma displays, it magnifies the garbage - and looks really bad.

So what the heck are all these positive reviews doing on Amazon? Hmmm?

Surely the Blu-rays, whenever they arrive, will fix all of this.

Harry

23. Let's put it into perspective--any series with extensive restoration work is goi g to cost more money. At Xmas the first four seasons were discounted to around $30-40.

I don't think I've paid over $60 based on competitive pricing.

24. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Great news, I've been looking forward to this announcement for ages. Day 1 for me!

25. Not sure if the positive reviews are newer ones but when it was first issued perhaps those folks were watching it exactly as you described.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.