Pono Website Dedicated Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

Any promo codes or coupons for a download purchase from the Pono music store?

2. Jimii70

Jimii70 Forum Resident

Is the ponomusic world app for the mac completely free? I have it but when I installed it I had a message saying that this version will be available until March. Does anyone know what happens in March , I am loving the program although basic to look at, it has some great features like replay gain and dynamic range readings.
    I know that its basically the Jriver media player but without the Video support which suits me down to the ground.

Curveboy likes this.
  3. My guess is that it is beta software that expires in March. At that point, the final release will be available for download.

It's essentially JRiver Media Player, and JRiver charges for that. I'm not sure whether Pono will charge for it. We don't know the details of Pono's licensing arrangement with JRiver. Maybe that's where some of the Kickstarter funds went?

I am curious as to how much longer the Pono hardware will be available for sale. Neil hinted that after the Kickstarter pre-orders ship, the hardware will not be produced for much longer.

4. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Downloaded Petty's Wild Flowers yesterday.
    I think it's great. Nice big natural sound and great music.
    I've been a Petty fan since pretty much day 1 and I couldn't understand why I didn't have this album.
    Thanks to those that recommended it!

I really hope they follow up with a hi-res of Full Moon Fever.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  5. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I was wondering about that one and if there was actually any improvement in the BD audio disc that came with the combo pack. Is it just needless oversampling? Neil must have thought so since he was originally going to release a CD/DVD combo pack but switched it up to a CD/Blu-Ray combo pack.

6. Wildflowers IS great. IMHO, it's the last good Petty album.

7. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

That's the complete opposite of what they said recently. There will be version 2, possible home stereo units etc etc. Makes no sense for them to stop producing the units, although I get that what they really care about is the store and dollars generated from that. All the money is in the software.

8. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

No. The cd is strangely better, at least in my opinion.

9. If anyone is a fan of country artist Mark Wills, lots of his albums are $7.79 (CD-rez of course).

Same for some Rhett Akins albums.

Also some Kathy Mattea.

(Does the editing time start over each time I edit? It's been 24 minutes now!)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  10. I'm just going by what Neil said about two weeks ago in an interview--i.e., that after the Kickstarter orders ship, Pono won't be producing hardware for much longer:

https://gigaom.com/2015/01/08/neil-young-pono-wont-be-a-hardware-company-for-long-video-interview/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Dino, JulesDassin and rburly like this.
  11. some Nanci Griffith too.

(The editing time turns out to be 30 minutes.)

12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

one thing I can state with certainty is that the stores I've called who have the Pono Player in stock have all said they will not accept any open returns unless the item is defective. would be nice to be able to evaluate the performance without having to stand in a store listening to the thing solely on the retailer's terms.

13. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

So are any other kickstarter members contemplating buying Steppenwolf albums on Pono today at $7.79 each, presuming that the high resolution version announced on HDTracks will soon be available as free upgrades? That would be quite a savings, but perhaps a little bit of a gamble?

Same could apply for a couple of Don Henley albums.

14. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

What stores carry the player in stock?

15. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

16. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I'm curious to know also. I would like to bring my microSD card and ask for a demo using some well-mastered FLAC files.

EDIT: Now I see the link posted above. It doesn't look like I will get to try this out in Wisconsin.

17. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Pono players are also available at Fry's electronics stores.

18. motionoftheocean

any idea when they're supposed to begin shipping out orders again?

19. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Pono Will Soon Ship All Preorders and Begin Shipping-to-Order
    January 16, 2015

[​IMG]
    Pono Will Soon Ship All Preorders and Begin Shipping-to-Order

We are thrilled to announce that we will soon be exiting our “early supporter” phase and would like to thank all of our Kickstarter backers as well as all those who have placed PonoPlayer preorders. Your support has jumpstarted the Pono movement and has enabled us to help save music from compressed formats.

For putting their faith in us and helping us get Pono off the ground, our Kickstarter backers with PonoPlayers received a $99 discount off our retail price, a bonus 64GB microSD card, and lifetime free resolution upgrades. We anticipate being able to provide the first round of free resolution upgrades for albums already purchased some time in February of 2015. You will forever have our gratitude.

A special thanks goes out to our preorder customers who have been patiently waiting for their players. We’re happy to announce that we will start shipping the preorders next week and expect to finish shipments in early February. For their support, our preorder customers who placed their preorders before December 15, 2014 received a certificate of ownership hand-signed by Neil Young. Also, along with their PonoPlayers, all preorder customers will be receiving a 64GB microSD card, providing a total of 128GB of storage out of the box.
    Preorders Ending at the End of January
    Our preorders phase will be finished at the end of January, after which we will be offering PonoPlayers that will ship-to-order. These PonoPlayer will ship with 64GB of onboard storage, but without the bonus microSD card that shipped with the “early supporter” players. The PonoPlayer will continue to have the microSD expansion slot and our customers will be able to purchase microSD cards separately.

To receive the bonus 64GB microSD card, you may consider placing your preorders by the end of January.

Mahalo,
    The PonoMusic team

20. motionoftheocean

so I guess that means anyone who gets the order in within the next couple of days can expect to receive the player in early February. interesting. I'm looking at buying one of these as a gift for somebody and may decide to take the plunge.

21. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I see a discount code: - CES2015 - to use for ordering a Pono player.

Anyone know how much the discount is? (It looks like it might just be revealed during the ordering process.)

It is in the tweets portion (lowest right corner) of the home page. https://ponomusic.force.com/

All it says is:

PonoMusic @pono
    Take advantage of our #CES2015 discount code and get your #PonoPlayer--- Use Code CES2015

It was tweeted 1/8/2015.

I don't remember this being mentioned.

22. motionoftheocean

the code no longer works

Dino likes this.
  23. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

Great deal in Pono store - they have the Stones deluxe 192/24 version of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! for $21.29!
    As comparison this great album is listed at HDTracks for $74.98.

Billy Budapest, rburly and dee like this.
  24. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Well, I bought 4 Steppenwolf albums for under $8 each yesterday and they are starting to show up today in 24/192. Once they "run their algorithm" and the old ones disappear I guess I'll be testing their free upgrade policy. Keep you posted...

purple-lazy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.