Supertramp Breakfast In America 2013 SACD or HFPA?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes it is. Released a couple of weeks ago.

2. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

If your on the main thread for these releases, you'll find diff counties are generally producing diff AQ. Japan seems too be leading the way (again!).
    So?
    "amazon"
    it's amazon; why would you believe/buy in-too reviews at a site that bunches DVD & Blu reviews together?!?!
    Are "all" the good" reviews on amazon posting about the 'Blu-ray Audio Only' [HFPA] release?

EDitEDbyED:
    really lOOking forward too seeing/reading whether the AM+, MoFi, or whatever turns out too be the "Forum Fave" [TM].

DisclosED:
    BIG fan of the AM+!

BIG disclosED'r:
    drunk on a '05 Knight's Valley Syrah while eating Dubliner Chz!!!
    :D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Not very good? Really?
    "Go ahead Mr. President, you can take my MFSL..... From my cold, dead hands!"

HAmmer likes this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

The HFPA and SACD are both great listens but I lean towards the HFPA just a tad. The vocals really sound killer on this one even at high volume. IMHO though you can't go wrong with either one.

5. Bobby Morrow

I've just ordered the SHM-SACD. The only HFPA title I have is Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down, which is admittedly very good, but I'm going to go with the SACD on this one. Also ordered the Police title. DEFINITELY the last time I'm buying Breakfast In America!

Mr. Explorer and bru87tr like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

The Lionel Richie is the other HFPA that I own and it is a real treat. Maybe the Beck is the next one I try....

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The Layla Blu-Ray disc is quite good.

Mainline461 likes this.
  8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I don't mean to thread crap. This is a fantastic album, and will always carry memories back to me - along with Alan Parsons' Pyramid - which has an uncanny symmetry to BIA.
    I just haven't heard a digital version that gets me the way the orig vinyl did - and the orig vinyl wasn't so great either.
    I haven't heard the SACD or BluRay but neither the MFSL nor the orig cd do much for me.

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I understand this, having bought my copy in 1979, and selling the MFSL in 2010 with no regrets, but now the SHM SACD is on it's way to me from Japan, and I'm really looking forward to it.

10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Go to it bud! It's sometimes the journey that matters. You're obviously taking the long way home. (sorry, couldn't resist.)

I have an orig US and an A&M half speed master. Not sure which is better, but the pressing of the half speed is done at the same place as...guess where? JVC in Japan, MFSL's plant of preference at the time.

11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I was disappointed that there was no 5.1 mix so I passed on it:(

12. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

So what did you think of it, MYKE?

My thoughts: I just got mine a week ago, cranked the thing a few times (both through speakers and cans) and I'm a little torn here. Yes, the clarity is there better than ever before but IMO, the Bass is a bit bloated and the presentation isn't exactly well-balanced because of this. The album never had lots of high-end but it did have a nice treble sheen that I'm not really hearing on the SHM-SACD, even when cranked. In many areas, especially the upper mids, I prefer my old USA vinyl first-press. Truth be told, I have a 24-bit rip of that pressing, made with an Airy cart by Mr. I-Dare-Not-Speak-His-Name, that blows away every other version of this album I've heard, even the Mofi and the SACD. That will remain my go-to version.

EDIT: IMO, the BD doesn't even enter into this equation - didn't like that one at all.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Dynamic Range on the SACD beats the BR.

I have heard mostly bad reviews on BIA BR.

14. Bobby Morrow

Anyone ever find out why the SHM-SACD went off the market so fast? I only bought it because it was there and I wanted a new SACD to listen too. Glad I didn't hang around!

15. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Just speculation but nothing more that I have seen. COTC never made it which adds weight to the theory that the band or label pulled the disc soon after release.

16. Bobby Morrow

I think something was amiss. I don't think it would have sold out in the few weeks it was available...

17. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Agree, I have never seen any SHM SACD come close to doing that like BIA did

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Yeah, it was weird.

19. 007james

007james Forum Resident

At this point, is seems like the cheapest method with really good sound versions are either the original A&M or the second batch of A&M remasters are the best way to go, i just ordered even in the .......... Correct me if I'm wrong

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Do you mean the non-UK/Europe remasters?

21. 007james

007james Forum Resident

This is the version i recently purchased, i hope its the right one
    Label:
    A&M Records ‎– CD 69948
    Format:
    CD, Album
    Canada
    Released:

22. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Everyone had conspiracy theories when the SHM-SACD of BIA disappeared so fast. I even did a rant about dumb band members not getting along. I'm starting to think there may be a 40th anniversary deluxe edition somewhere down the line that caused them to pull the plug on the SACD. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait till 2019 to find out.

fredblue likes this.
  23. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Oh! I remember abbreviating them to HFPA in April 2013..

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...-Music-in-2013&p=175590&viewfull=1#post175590

..before any of these discs had come out (most likely out of laziness than anything else knowing me!) at a point where it felt like only a handful of us were doing Universal's promotion for them for free (in the absence of any from the label..) by posting on the usual forums about this 'exciting new format' etc.. but I don't know if I coined it.. either way here we are in 2015 and I guess the acronym kinda stuck.. sadly it does feel like the whole HFPA things stuck in a rut too, more's the pity.

So.. What's New on HFPA in 2015?
    A few Blue Note Jazz titles you can pick up on SACD anytime you like.

To quote @Bobby Morrow "Excuse me while I slip into a coma.." :D

24. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Playing the SHM-SACD of Breakfast right now.....judged by the number of times I have played it, this SACD has paid itself back many times ;)

25. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

At this point it feels like SACD could well still exist in 2019 (reports of its demise have proved premature the last 10 years!) but will HFPA still be around in 4 years' time? Hmm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.