Pro-Ject Carbon vs Rega RP-1: what I picked

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gmitchel, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmitchel

gmitchel Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, if you track my recent thread history, you will see I have been considering these two TT over the past month. Going to buy one when my income tax returns come in.

Today I decided, and since it seems kind of humorous to me, I thought I would share how I picked between these two.

I ended up deciding to buy the Rega, despite having saved up credit card points for a Crutchfield gift card (they carry Project but not Rega).

My reasons were:
    • From reading lots of reviews, I like the upgrade path better on the Rega
    • Lack of VTA on the Project
    And now for the funny reasons which sealed the deal:
    • I have B&W 601 speakers. So, British needs more British
    • and, the whole reason I decided to buy a TT was the Beatles mono vinyl, so more of British needs British (although I have bought a few other new releases in the meantime)

Ntotrar, Shiver and malco49 like this.
  2. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i may be upgrading soon from a older 2004 pro-ject debut lll. i have a feeling i will go with the upgraded pro-ject carbon DC debut lll vs rega RP-1.i already have an pro-ject acrylic platter,there is a dealer in baltimore who sells pro-ject.i do like you value of synchronicity! funny i thought the upgrades for the rega were a bit "non essential".i like the acrylic platter with the pro-ject....let us know how the table sounds and how the beatles sound on it! i have the 2009 mono CD box and am itching to get the mono vinyl.......

3. gmitchel

I really don't think I can go wrong with either choice, but once I factored in the British speakers... I looked a lot at the pro-ject carbon DC.

4. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

5. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Funny enough the thought of having a completely British system appeals to me. More by accident than design my stereo is almost totally a UK one ( CD, amp and speakers) with only my Project table letting the side down. I will soon be upgrading the deck and a Rega is on my radar but I've also got my eye on (German) Clearaudios so that dream of a complete Brit system may not be realised if I prefer the sound of the latter.

6. gmitchel

What CD and AMP do you have?

it would certainly be easier for me to buy the pro-ject... but I think The Beatles want the Rega.

7. Speaking of keeping it in the family. I'd love an all Canadian setup

Simaudio / Bryston / Oracle / Totem :D:agree:

Both the Rega and Pro-ject are nice entry-level tables and you can't go wrong with one or the other. I would have chosen the Pro-ject myself for the carbon fiber tonearm and I prefer it from an aesthetic point of view. I can compensate for the lack of VTA by changing to different thicknesses of mats.

Congrats on your decision and I hope that tax refund come soon!:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.