Saw “The Musical Box” – Perform “Foxtrot” last night.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike McMann, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had the chance to see these guys play at the “Living Arts Center “ in Mississauga last night. They put on a phenomenal show that was like having Genesis on stage in front of you.
    The band played “Foxtrot” in its entirety along with a number of encores to finish just under two hours.
    I believe they are coming off a European tour and now hitting North America with a few dates in Ontario then into to the US. for February.
    If you are a Genesis fan, I highly recommend seeing this show.
    The sound was excellent and the players looked, sang and played their parts note perfect.

[​IMG]

2. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I 've seen them doing the 73/74 tour and The Lamb, absolutely mindblowing. ..

JediJoker, chrischerm and Mike McMann like this.
  3. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Some of the best concerts i saw , were by tribute bands.Decent prices , no big halls , excellent musicians , playing music that is 'outdated' or 'old'.
    BritFloyd , Randy Hansen,Muffin Men , The Musical Box ... Great fun.

Mike McMann likes this.
  4. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

saw foxtrot last year. pressed against stage (hard to do that at a genesis show) true, karaoke but highly recommended. hoping to catch selling england this year. actually as good a cover band as the current yes band/cover band making the rounds and they play the tunes at the regular speed too.

Murph and Mike McMann like this.
  5. ccarty

ccarty Hyperactive!

I was at the show last night as well. Seeing them for the first time=mindblowing! What a lovely theatre. Has not been there before.

Mike McMann likes this.
  6. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Karaoke implies that they're singing to backing music tracks, they aren't. They are playing all the parts and doing very well.

JediJoker likes this.
  7. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I saw them here in St. Charles IL. last year and am planning to see them again next month. Very, very good. In fact, I saw Steve Hackett a few months before them and I'd be hard pressed to say who I liked more.

8. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Was just looking at the band's website. They seem to never come down to the Carolinas.

9. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Ooooh coming to Chicagoland March 6th/7th - I love tribute bands. My missus has never heard the pre-pop Genesis (and her mom didn't even know there was a pre-pop Genesis). This should be interesting.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Where are they playing in Chicago? I should treat my wife to that. We saw them do The Lamb at the Vic theater a few years ago, and they really are exceptional. She's a Genesis fan from way back.

11. Veni Vidi Vici

Chicagoland. The Arcadia Theater in St Charles, March 6th (Selling England) and 7th (Foxtrot). Bit of a drive but as circumstance would have it, the missus can't drink right now :pineapple:

12. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Congratulations?

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  13. ek1psu

ek1psu Forum Resident

I saw them twice: once doing SEBTP in Montreal and once doing The Lamb in Atlantic City. The Montreal show was like being there for the '73 Shepperton show (or at least what I would have imagined to be like). Great show. We'll probably never get to see Peter and the rest of the boys in their theatrical glory ever again; this is the next best thing. Can't wait to see them again! The Musical Box put on a great show and truly channel the Genesis experience.

14. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Arguably better: they make fewer mistakes than the real Genesis did. ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  15. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

seen them twice here in Pittsburgh, at the Byham - the PERFECT venue to see them, probably not a million miles away from the size/vibe of places Genesis was playing back in '72-'75. caught the Lamb and SEBTP shows.

after i saw the Lamb show, i randomly ended up in a discussion with this guy who was like "all tribute bands are dumb." i agreed with him to a point (i feel like some of the Beatles ones are just cheesy), but tried to explain that the Musical Box is more like a touring Broadway revival production, given the actual presentation. he wasn't having it.

it is weird...i like Pink Floyd, but would not be into seeing a recreation of a Floyd show, unless there was an officially sanctioned touring version of the 1980 Wall show or something, which would basically be what the Musical Box does on an even grander scale.

T'mershi Duween and Rupe33 like this.
  16. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

Sorry I missed that, I'm in the city and didn't realize they were in the 'burbs! I did see SEBTP last year at Massey Hall and TLLDOB a couple years prior at the Music Hall... Wonderful shows and highly recommended if you never saw them in their prime (as I didn't) and love those Gabriel era records... It's really a whole other thing seeing the performance art aspect of the music! I'm jealous, the live Supper's Ready is really something else!!!

17. overdrivethree

i almost wished i hadn't seen all the old 72-73 footage on YouTube. that definitely blunted the impact of "Supper's Ready" live because i knew what was coming. in that respect, it's almost a blessing that there's hardly any original Lamb footage, because it made seeing the show a fresh experience start to finish.

18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife really enjoyed seeing The Musical Box perform The Lamb because, even though she did see it back in the day, her original viewing was...shall we say "chemically assisted"...so she wasn't totally sure what she actually saw.

19. overdrivethree

that was the one downside of the show i saw...the lady a couple seats over from me tried too hard to recreate her idea of the 1974 concert experience, and was having a fun a little trip during the show. at my most sympathetic, i'd want to be like "you really don't need to be high to get into this show, it's plenty weird/deep enough on its own."

20. Veni Vidi Vici

I've seen the same thing with Led Zeppelin Two - they've sounded tighter than the real thing even after Jimmy Page has polished the recordings...

21. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I kinda thought that myself (just replace "dumb" with "cheesy") until I actually saw the Musical Box perform. Their show was more like being transported via time machine back to the early 70's than some bloodless cover/tribute band! They were magnificent!

Considering that I was just a wee little kid in the early 70', it was a chance to get a little early prog rock "flavor" in the 21st. century. My wife (who wasn't even born until '87) was even more enthused about going to see them! She was very excited about hearing some live Mellotron and bass pedal action in a theater! :D

The only negative criticism I could make about the Musical Box is that the lead singer needs to hit the gym a little. While he has the vocals, costumes, moves and banter down pat, he's not sexy, androgynous and feline as Gabriel was back then. I also thought the drummer wasn't quite up to Phil's playing. In fact, I was kinda wishing I could have been playing drums for them because I can nail those parts! Man, what a fun job to have. He did have the proper kit though. They really put much effort at recreating the period gear that was used in the early 70's.

I think I enjoyed the Hackett guy the most. I loved watching him pull off the effect laden work of Steve, and unlike Seconds Out, you could actually hear what he was doing!

I also gained new respect for what Mike Rutherford did in early Genesis. He really was the MVP of the band. Held everything together without a lot of fanfare or attention.

I wish I hadn't waited so long to see them. I missed the Lamb shows, but saw the Selling England one. I won't miss any from now on. A very satisfying experience, both musically and visually. Highly recommended!

22. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Musical Box - NORTH AMERICA 2015

06/02/15 SE Harrisburg, PA - Whitaker Center USA
    07/02/15 SE Newton, NJ - Newton Theater USA
    08/02/15 FT Ridgefield, CT - Playhouse USA
    20/02/15 SE Cleveland, OH - Theatre Sebastopol USA
    21/02/15 SE Tonawanda, NY - Riviera Theater USA
    22/02/15 FT Tonawanda, NY - Riviera Theater USA
    25/02/15 SE Tarrytown, NY - Music Hall USA
    26/02/15 SE Ridgefield - Playhouse USA see 8/2
    27/02/15 SE Glenside, PA - Keswick Theatre USA
    28/02/15 FT Glenside, PA - Keswick Theatre USA
    01/03/15 SE Westbury - Music Fair Theatre USA
    05/03/15 FT Milwaukee - PABST Theater USA
    06/03/15 FT St. Charles, IL - Arcada Theater USA
    07/03/15 SE St. Charles, IL - Arcada Theater USA
    10/03/15 SE Torrance, CA - James Armstrong Theater USA
    11/03/15 FT Torrance, CA - James Armstrong Theater USA
    13/03/15 SE San Francisco, CA - Regency Ballroom USA
    14/03/15 FT San Francisco, CA - Regency Ballroom USA

The two letters after the date will be the album they are playing - SE + Selling England FT = Foxtrot

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  23. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Im thinking of going to see these guys as well. I Youtube'd 'em and they sound great. Apparently the band embraces them as well. Check these two clips out, one with Hackett and one with Collins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuqLDz9wqKw

Shak Cohen, Mike McMann and jon9091 like this.
  24. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I saw them last night in St. Charles IL. Phenomenal show! Firth of Fifth was spectacular. Well, everything was spectacular, Firth of Fifth was otherworldly.

Mike McMann likes this.
  25. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.