Rega platter upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Django, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django

Django Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an RP1 with performance pack wool mat, white band & an elys 2 cartridge. I just curious about these different types of platters, glass, acrylic what difference will I hear?

2. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

A glass platter with a thin cork mat will open up the music > bring right to the forefront > make it seems as though the band is right there with you. Several years ago I played my system for several people who all agreed that the glass with the cork was like unboxing the music. This is with a rega p1 with white belt and Nagaoka MP110 cart. The p1 was replaced with the RP1.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  3. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The acrylic and delrin platters are one upgrade I can't get on board with. It goes off of the direction of the Rega path. I look to their own best turntables as advice on what to upgrade - hard platter, metal subplatter, and one-piece metal tonearm.

4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Even the delrin/acrylic platter option with a Rega will be system dependent. I don't need or like it for my system, but I've heard one on an all-new-component (solid state) system and thought it sounded slightly better than the stock glass platter ('twas a P3 TT) . Its amazing how every single component in a chain or system can affect everything else.

5. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Do the older P3-24 plotters fit the new generation Regas? I have a glass platter from a P3-24 that's sitting here doing nothing.

6. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I like the GT delrin platter and the main reason I got it was to eliminate static however I later purchased the A23 Hommage mat to use with the glass platter and static is eliminated with this mat. I concur with Raunchnroll, both acrylic/delrin will be system dependent and in my system the delrin is more "Hi-Fi" or "analytical" sounding as opposed to the "smooth & natural" sound of the A23/glass combo.

7. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

If you have the upgrade bug,why not jump to the RP3.My dealer gave me a full price trade in on my Rega.

Long Live Analog and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  8. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Thats exactly what I found with a cork matt on my glass RP6 platter. I have a thinnner one to add on top when I play non 180 gram records to maintain VTA. Very band in front of you type of effect compared to felt. Subtle but there.

9. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

10. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

I've got serious doubts about 'upgrading' the RP1. It's an inexpensive but well thought out TT and I'm pretty sure Roy Gandy has thought it through. He's been designing TTs for a very long time. I'd spend your money elsewhere tbh. I've owned both a Planar 2 and a Planar 3 at various points (the only decks Rega built at the time). Both had the (then standard) glass platters with felt mats and experimenting with other materials (acrylic was the big thing in those days) made no difference whatsoever to my ears. The modified counter-weight stub on the (then) RB250 and 300 however, was very worthwhile and I used a modded RB300 on some quite expensive decks. Personally - assuming you are looking to upgrade - I'd save your cash until you can splash on a significantly better table or, better still, spend it on more records.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.