How important are hype stickers to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

When selling, I'm sure it can add some value to it. It could also make the difference between a sale and a no sale. Makes me sad that i didn't save all the long boxes from the day. I've seen some of those sealed long box cds, especially metal ones, sell at conventions for $100-150 range for discs that would normally sell for 5-10 bucks.

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I lose them. I don't like things on jewel cases blocking up the art work.

John B Good likes this.
  4. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I save them, the non-generic ones. And I also scan them to put into the artwork of my online collection. When collecting online artwork for a new rip, I will look for a scan of an original LP's cover with a sticker if I discover one exists. In a few instances the sticker says something interesting about the artist or the context in which it was released (for some reason I'm thinking of Costello or Parker as having an example of this, but I don't quite recall the details...)

5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Always save unique stickers, but throw away generic stickers.
    In fact when I'm buying from a B&M store, I try to get the copy that has a sticker.

Darryl

6. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

If I can peel them off and put them on the resealable sleeve, then I keep them. If they tear on the way off, oh well.

To answer Turnaround's question about which to buy if one has a sticker and is banged up and the other is nice and doesn't have the sticker; go with the nice one, the sticker is fluff.

7. MultiMan

MultiMan Forum Resident

Sean and Lord Summerisle like this.
  8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not very important, but will almost always read for (hopefully) some useful information about the artist and/or the disc. Always throw it out with wrapping.

9. Hype stickers are very important to me, if they're made for the release, they're part of the packaging. Generic ones that just have text printed on for the distributors I throw away, but for actual hype stickers, for CDs, I cut them out of the shrink and keep it on the outside of the case when I put my CDs into protective plastic bags. For vinyl, I always keep things in shrink and just slice the opening (unless it's a gatefold etc), so no issues there.

Eric_Generic and Ghostworld like this.
  10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

even worse than stickers, I still can't believe how some people sent to trash the japan OBI's or the JCards of MFSL's :eek:

11. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

I save everything including the clear bar code sticker that is taped to the jewel box lid and tray. I usually put that in the inlay card underneath the plastic CD hub.

With stickers on the album or CD shrink wrap, I usually peel those off and stick them onto the inner album sleeve as long as it's a blank spot or someplace in the CD booklet. If I can't peel them off, then I cut them out and insert them in the album or CD.

SJP likes this.
  12. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

I try to peel them off of the plastic. It usually works really well unless they're old. The new CD's Have the plastic CD holders inside. I take the CD out and stick it inside underneath where the CD snaps into place.

In my opinion, there is usually some pretty cool information on the hype stickers. I just bought the new 50th Anniversary Grateful Dead Greatest Hits, and the Hype Sticker had "Steal Your Face" Lightning Bolts on it. I just like the complete package.

I see that Amazon is making a big deal about buying Your CD's from You. If You check it out, they're giving You like 60 cents for a CD. Not on Your life. My CD's are in such perfect condition I wouldn't take $8 for one. My best friend back home is like a Brother to me. His daughter is a wonderful hippie girl. I already gave her my old Epiphone, because she's really getting good on acoustic, and she had a really cheap guitar. I have about 400 carefully selected CD's, and she is getting my CD collection. Then my Gibson and Vintage Dobro guitar collection is worth about ten grand, and She will be getting those too. She is my God Daughter, and I'm going to hook her up with my music. I love that girl so much. Her Dad and I went over to watch her play an open mike night at a bar that she waitresses at. She did such an awesome job that I wish I could have carried my Gibson up yo the stage all tuned up and given it to her that night, but I have about 20 years until I croak, so I still have a lot of playin' to do before I check out.

13. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

With CDs I've always tossed 'em.
    With vinyl it's a different story... once in a while. IF the shrink wrap is "loose" and has the perforated tear, I'll sometimes save it and use it to store the record instead of a conventional outer sleeve. (My colored copy of Nirvana's Unplugged is like this.) And I've had folks sell me records with that original outer sleeve (and hype stickers), which is kinda cool.

Or the weirdest example: The limited box set for Porcupine Tree's Fear Of A Blank Planet was a numbered edition... But the numbering was on a sticker, on the outer shrink wrap. So I *did* save that one. How else would I know what number I have??!?

14. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Depending on what it is, I use a glue stick to stick them to their new resealable sleeve. Sometimes i can just peek them right off the shrink.

15. serge

serge Forum Resident

more important than dog poo

16. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I'll usually keep the ones from the box sets, but in general I'll throw them out with the shrinkwrap unless it was unique enough to keep.

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Toss them.

18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Growing up and collecting vinyl, I never kept them. They went into the trash with the plastic.

Now in the past few years, I see these vinyl record "unboxing" videos on Youtube & its akin to a sin to throw them away. You're supposed to keep them with your album regardless of format.

Didn't know they were called "hype" stickers, either.

19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

[​IMG]

I do hold onto the obi's... they add a nice international flavor to the package and some kind of nerdy cache.

But I used to trim about 1/32" off the top or bottom with a razor knife so they'd fit into the back tray, the Japanese characters visible behind the clear hinge panel on the left. When I mentioned that on this forum people reacted like I was circumcising Japanese infants without anesthesia!

I also throw out most of the cardboard wraps that CD's are sometimes packaged in. I keep them if they feature a different picture from the actual insert. If I'm feeling industrious I trim them down with a razor knife so the flat cardboard panels fit in my JazzLoft sleeves with the inserts and back panels... makes for a nice sturdy package.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    John B Good likes this.
  20. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Forum Resident

Agree. Will only keep if the album remains sealed.

21. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I usually throw them away. I have some, especially Paul McCartney since I have collected The Beatle(s).

22. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

That is just wrong. The OBI is an integral part of Japanese import packaging. It is always disappointing to buy a pre-owned Japanese pressing where the OBI is missing.

I save hype stickers. In my vinyl kick of late, it gets unpeeled from the shrink-wrap and placed on the plain white inner sleeve. If the sleeve is printed, then it is carefully placed in the plain white inside of the cover near the leading edge.

These serve to help document what pressing you have in the event it is ever resold, or adds that ever-so-tiny bit of enhancement to the item's own collectability.

LitHum05 and Galley like this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Vinyl collectors should think about that fact that every bit of identification or documentation adds to an item's provenance. I love seening old price stickers on albums when they were "$1.99" I always think, oh that's cool. And it gives the record a special air of history for me. And it can help you identify a pressing.

[​IMG]

SJP and Raunchnroll like this.
  24. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Someone said they have nothing to do with the artist or their work. Maybe so in the most limited sense, but an artist and their work isn't done in a void. Its commercialized - thrust into the stream of commerce. Thus album covers with their artwork, goodies tipped in, and the thank you's/credits and company protective sleeves and such. Hype stickers are one of the last artistic bits in the chain.... added right before as the artists work commercialized. They can be bland or quite attractive. Someone - perhaps a designer or commercial artist associated with the artist and/or the label thats getting them 'out there' does their bit to promote the work. When they're new they don't seem like much, but as time goes by they become more appreciated as part of the whole story.

A good example of a hype sticker that adds value and looks great is the one made for Creedence's Bayou Country album. Only put on the album for a bit after it came out - then it disappeared. Its a very period piece. For me its also nostalgic; I remember seeing it on the album at the local Valu-Mart in 1968 but by the time I finally bought the album, years later, the use of that cool hype sticker was long gone.

SJP and Giorgio like this.
  25. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

Love this one for giving The Clash their trademark quote... (Mine is black and white, though, not purple.)
    [​IMG]

Neonbeam and SJP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.