Rolling Stones Album-by-Album Thread (Part 14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 19, 2014.

1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

time to cue up your video for another view- it was a highlight of the thread

2. Croidler

Croidler Forum Resident

Posting for good measure:

entropyfan, botley and John Fell like this.
  3. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

ER is way less cohesive than SG, due in part to the growing Keith/Mick rift. Ronnie keeps ER together and injects it with a heavy dose of fun.

botley likes this.
  4. sami

sami Mono still rules

Man, this kind of sasparilla is exactly why I have never wanted to know a damn thing about any musicians or athletes I liked - just let me listen to the music or watch them play. I love music talk about recording sessions and what not, but their personal lives? The less I know (preferably much less), the better.

Let's please keep this to discussing the records. That's all good stuff, and you guys have great insights and information.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
    EwaWoowa and botley like this.
  5. sami

sami Mono still rules

Maybe less cohesive, but I find that I listen to it far more than Some Girls. Maybe the fun factor you speak of, plus I'll take the title track over "Miss You" all day, "Dance (Pt. 1)" is a brilliant opener, and it closes in style.

mbrownp1, tkl7, botley and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

While I won't go so far as to say that the disposable songs are anything but disposable...my favourite track from the album is easily "Let Me Go".

KeninDC and John Fell like this.
  7. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Likewise. My ER to SG ratio is likely 5 to 1. I can listen to ER a few times in a row in the car, but the vitriol on SG keeps me at one play.

8. old school

old school Senior Member

When somebody is trying to slant the topic there way because they don't like the 60s Stones, I'm going to set the record straight to the best of my knowledge.
    I did not start these topics but I sure and the hell will tell the truth!

Fleet Fox and Dave Hoos like this.
  9. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I have this thread to thank for getting me into ER, which I had honestly never heard before then. But depending on the day, SG is my favorite Stones record.

I have really enjoyed the varied opinions and information on display in this thread over the last 12 months (for me, though y'all were already up to something like OOOH or Aftermath when I joined). While I haven't posted much in the last few months, I always try to keep up with the thread.

cc--, bonus and botley like this.
  10. botley

botley Forum Resident

This is just crazy bananas good. Easily up there with the Side of ElMo on Love You Live. Can't believe this album never gets love. The setlist is amazing and the grooves are spectacular, Mick and the band really hit some highs (while managing to dance on the edge of some screw-ups).

bonus likes this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like the fact that they mix up the set list a bit on that one and don't play all the same songs that they usually play.

bonus and botley like this.
  12. sami

sami Mono still rules

Wasn't directed at you, I just happened to react to your post. I'm certainly not telling anyone what to say or not say on an internet forum, just expressing an opinion I've felt for a really long time regarding celebrities' personal lives. Most people want to know, I guess. I couldn't give a shirt.

By the way, I couldn't agree with you more regarding '60's Stones. I've actually just started really diving into the pre-BB stuff for the first time after only ever having singles comps, and it is absolutely amazing stuff. Saw a thread on another forum. in fact, where KeninDC gives a primer on preferred vinyl pressings, and have managed to put together a pretty good collection, including some Decca UK stuff.

Mark Wilson, bonus and old school like this.
  13. Croidler

Croidler Forum Resident

I think this is better than the Elmo side, frankly, I certainly listen to it way more. However I probably would have lost my mind if they played "Around and Around"

bonus and botley like this.
  14. Zack

Zack Senior Member

You got Stripped Companion? They're all there.

botley and John Fell like this.
  15. Croidler

Croidler Forum Resident

If you don't want to know my opinion on Brian Jones, DON"T ASK ME.

16. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Agree, ER is the funniest and most generally batphone Stones album by a wide margin.

botley likes this.
  17. old school

old school Senior Member

If you recall you gave your opinion and my words to you were " At least you are a stand up guy." Then you came back at me when I mentioned the new book
    with new information on what Brian Jones contributions to the band were about Brian, showing Keith open tunings and many other interesting facts. And you
    said no none of that ever happened and closed your mind to it! But the bottom line is I could careless about asking you anything so let's get that straight. I'm
    on to other things so don't flatter yourself I'm done asking you anything period.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    Fleet Fox likes this.
  18. Dave Hoos

Nah. Just got the Stripped album by itself. I do have some of those CD singles though...somewhere.

Zack likes this.
  19. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

First of all, please stop getting personal. Secondly, mind the language. F-bombs and **** are forbidden on this family-friendly forum. The filter is no excuse.

Thanks!
    Jerry

Zack likes this.
  20. old school

old school Senior Member

In the new book Brian Jones The Making of the Rolling Stones. Did you read the part when Brian gave his name as Elmo Lewis and played slide guitar as a guest of Alexis Korner and Blues Inc. At Dartford in spring of 1962? Brian had already mastered the slide guitar and was the best slide player in England in the early months of 1962. And in the audience were Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Dick Taylor all three craned there necks looking at Elmo Lewis and saying to each other how does he get that sound? How come he is so good? Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Dick Taylor left that evening saying over and over how the hell did he become so good?

Dave Hoos and Fleet Fox like this.
  21. Scopitone

Quick side question:

In Keef's book, he talks a lot about how in the early days, they played and played and played Jimmy Reed records. I may have simply forgotten, but I can't recall the titles being mentioned.

I've never really listened to Reed. What albums would they most likely have been playing, you think? What would I want, if I wanted to hear the Reed music that was influencing the Stones?

22. Dave Hoos

There's a terrific 2 CD, 36 track compilation of Jimmy Reed called Boss Man. All the songs that Keith mentioned - and more - are on it.

Scopitone and John Fell like this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Jimmy Reed At Carnegie Hall is probably his most popular individual album.

Scopitone and Dave Hoos like this.
  24. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

"Rockin' with Reed." Great album. In fact, I picked up the LP in the 80s because of the Stones.

Scopitone likes this.
  25. Scopitone

Thanks, Fellas! That's exactly the kind of info I was needing.

Looks like Rockin and Carnegie are on spotify, so I will start there. That Boss Man comp isn't, but some others are. I'll bet I could build an equivalent playlist with some or all of the same tracks. (and the 2-CD set is only $12 on amazon, it appears)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    John Fell and Dave Hoos like this.