Best movie 2014 so far ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Okay. Saw Birdman this evening. You can now bump that to the #1 slot. Wow. Exhilarating film.

1. Birdman
    2. Grand Budapest Hotel (although it could be a tie for 1st place)
    3. Whiplash

Need to think on the rest for a bit before I can slot them.

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Birdman won't be out on blu-ray for a few weeks, but I'm looking forward to it. Auto-buy for me since Keaton was born and raised in Pittsburgh!

3. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

My ten for the year:

01. Under The Skin (Glazer)
    02. Bastards (Denis)
    03. Ida (Pawlikowski)
    04. Nymphomaniac Vols 1&2 (Von Trier)
    05. Leviathan (Zvyaginstev)
    06. Whiplash (Chazelle)
    07. Blue Ruin (Saulnier)
    08. Norte, The End Of History (Diaz)
    09. Interstellar (Nolan)
    10. Enemy (Villeneuve)

4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

What did you make of the ending?

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked
    Grand Budapest
    Interstellar
    Imitation Game
    X-Men Days of Future Past
    Edge of Tomorrow

want to see Birdman

6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I think his classroom speech about the dangers of living in a totalitarian state, and how likely it is to occur without you even notcing it, came home to roost. The spider was the political becoming the sexual. Notice how frightened the spider was of him and how disappointed, fed up and exhaused Jake looked when he was confronted with it. Even after losing the other half of himself, he still felt the need to repeat the same pattern - his first night alone with his pregnant wife and he's already making excuses and heading out, presumably to cheat. He gets the key, makes a conscious decision and is immediately annoyed by the consequences of that decision. The spider's enveloped the city (though no one seems to have noticed it) and now it's (or a version of it he's created of it via his wife) infiltrated his home life. "They censor any means of individual expression" he said in the classroom before spending the bulk of the film trying to eradicate himself as a singular individual. Just the simple fact that, when confronted with each other, the spider is frightened of Jake and Jake's just pissed off makes the scene work for me.

johnnyyen and michaelscrutchin like this.
  7. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Released in 2014?... "Queen Live At The Rainbow '74".

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I like the lists. Keep 'em coming. As for this one, aren't a couple released in 2013?

Also, have many of you seen more than 50 from 2014 already? I'm always on a solid six month delay since I don't do the theater.

9. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Depends on the country. Sometimes there are several months between release dates from one country to another.

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

93curr likes this.
  10. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

My favorite of what I've seen so far (I'm closing in on fifty 2014 movies at the theater.) is Birdman, followed by (if you count it as a 2014 film) Whiplash, Foxcatcher, Selma, and Nightcrawler.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

11. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.