Turntable dust cover: Up or Down

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joey_Corleone, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Yeah, but it just isn't the same! That's why I like it :winkgrin:with the cover off!

JG

The Pinhead likes this.
  2. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

My Aries 1 has no cover and the custom acryllic cover is quite a beast. while I would love to have it on when records play, its just not that easy to deal with.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I always felt like being in the up position would create more resonance. That big piece of acrylic poised in the air is like a parabolic dish ready to catch sound waves and transmit them back to the table. I always keep mine closed.

"LET ME CATCH SOME OF THOSE BASS FREQUENCY WAVES"
    [​IMG]

4. ^^ haha..^^

It's not the airborne vibrations, rather, vibrations transmitted directly from the dust cover's contact with the plinth. Removing/minimizing it's point of contact from the base is where it's at.

5. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

Well, I just did a short test. I have always left the dust cover up during play, this TT sets on top of cabinet, 2 ft. to the right of the right speaker (cement floor). So I lowered the dust and Wow, my soundstage expanded to the right. I'm sold. My second TT sits 2 tiers lower in the cabinet and I have to completely remove the dust cover. Thanks.

6. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I'd like to see what the panel suggests for this one: The only place in the room for my audio rack is directly beneath an A/C vent. I tent to keep the cover up, but I'd like to see what folks here have to say about whether or not you would keep the cover down in this situation. I tend to leave it up, but I wonder if the flowing air might be adding to static or some other vibration issue. I don't really hear anything different when the air is blowing, but I do notice that sometimes after a 2 or 3 hour listening session that distortion seems to be more present. By the way, I live in Houston, so closing the vent isn't really an option! Opinions?

7. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

There's nothing so exciting from a cats point of view than arm gently moving like pray to hit by a paw!:eek: When my cat's in the listening area it simply has to be down!

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

On one of my turntables adust cover hinge is broken so the cover has to come right off. On the other, it's usually down unless I forget. I used to think that maybe records sounded better with the cover off but it very well may be a placebo effect. Records sound good in either case.

9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Unless I have a room full of people I remove it completely.

10. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

If I'm doing "serious" listening then it comes off entirely. Otherwise it's up.
    Closed when not in use, of course

11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

About a year ago, I completely removed the dustcover from the turntable. I simply place it on top when I'm not using it, and then pull it off when I want to use the turntable.

12. Rick B.

Rick B. Senior Member

Many, many years ago one of the mags (Stereo review, I think) did a demonstration with a turntable that had a plastic dust cover. They lowered the tracking force to maybe 1/2 a grom or less, closed the dust cover and then started wiping the top of the dust cover with a cloth. The static electicity that was generated was sufficient to lift the tone arm right up into the air! I have always raised my dust cover when playing ever since.

13. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

On my RP8 I've removed the outside plinth and dustcover. I use a George Merrill Polydust cover on the platter and dust the the RP8 with a artist brush...

14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

My TT's dust cover is always up, but it's for an odd reason. The rubber footies on the Technics SL-1200 stock dustcover seem to react with the silver paint and discolor it.

15. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

If you really want to keep the dust cover, you can build a shelf that slides out from the area your turntable sits in now.

16. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

My choice of tonearm precludes the use of the stock dust cover. Commissioning a new dust cover is nowhere on my radar at present.

I do like the idea of having one, though, as it acts as a barrier for the high frequencies emanating directly from the cartridge. This is not a problem when listening at normal volume; but, at lower listening levels (with a few low compliance carts) and near field, it is sometimes distracting.

Given a choice, I'd prefer a dust cover that goes over the entire table as opposed to one that sets on top of it.

17. AudioRoss

AudioRoss Well-Known Member

Dust cover completely off while using the turntable, but I do keep it on when I'm not using the table!

18. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Removed

19. harby

harby Forum Resident

Dust cover down. Seems to work better that way.
    [​IMG]

20. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Take it all off

21. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I think my choice of Turntable made my choice for me, it doesn't look right with it off, it's automatic and my room is so full of dust that I don't really want to wipe the dust off only to have it fall back on when it's playing.

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Cover off completely. No kids or pets to worry about, and dust does not really accumulate enough to make it worthwhile.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  23. Chris Schoen

oooh. :laugh::sigh:

24. Chris Schoen

I used to believe that too (dust cover down reduces vibrations that might be picked up by the arm/stylus) but thought it was more possible that the cover could
    actually collect sound vibrations and move them through the table (via the hinges). In any case, by not using a dust cover at all there have been no issues I have encountered.

25. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

I usually have it up, but tonight after reading this thread I'm going topless for a change ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.