Grateful Dead - Dave's Picks 2014 and 2015 Subcriptions (Part Two)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

it was like 110 in the shade. gates opened at 2 with show at four or something. horrible

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Oh, but the transition from Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band is unutterably sublime. I would argue you saw the finest 4 minutes of music they played in that 3 night run.

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Hmm, I'll have to play that show this weekend. Maybe I'll look for something to fill my balloons with. :)

Thanks!!!

footlooseman likes this.
  4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yep - most of that Spirit Of '76 disc has now been released on other things - not only Dave's 4 but also Road Trips 4.5. I'll keep my fingers crossed and wait (for eight or nine years).

5. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

They played "Around and Around" just for you, Jerry. :D

6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

:doh:

DrLunchbox likes this.
  7. Have any subscribers rec'd their shipping notice yet?
    Thanks.

8. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Just a question about these (but mainly Dick's) Picks. Why aren't they more readily available at reasonable prices? I'm a bit late to the party, just discovering the Dead, but the prices of those Picks are really steep :(

9. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Dick's Picks are all out of print. Some have been reissued (by Real Gone Music) but those were quite pricey.

Who'sTommy likes this.
  10. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

The Dave's Picks have very limited numbers for each production. (and they tend to sell out within about 24 hours of becoming available, since most shipments go to folks who bought annual subscriptions)

Supply and Demand.

This is my first time doing a sub. I have written off acquiring the previous years' editions unless they later sell them as digital files or otherwise go back in print.

If you want a copy of vol 13, I suggest pre-0rdering now! ;)

re: Richard's Picks -- they can all be purchased on iTunes, if you're not married to having them on CD or otherwise lossless.

Who'sTommy likes this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Most or all of Dick's are available as lossless downloads at livedownloads.com for a reasonable price, but as far as the original CDs and the reissues--way to expensive. Glad I bought must of that stuff in the 90s.

Edit: Just checked out livedownloads.com--all the Picks are there in MP3, FLAC, and Apple Lossless.

Who'sTommy likes this.
  12. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Alright, thanks for the replies :)

13. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

You can find links to the releases that are available here >> http://www.deadforayear.com/grateful-dead-releases/

I've aggregated them in one place for ease of reference.

Who'sTommy likes this.
  14. :D

15. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

So glad I went to Boston after high school.

I was at all three of those shows and thought Saturday night was the best; though all three were awesome. No memory of any cops, but don't doubt it.

Highlights that I readily recall are Morning Dew opening the first night and closing the last night, complete Weather Report Suite end of each first set all three shows; Playing in to Uncle Johns WOW !!! , too many to name. That three day run was one freakin beautiful period.

One show they really should release is the April 2, 1973 show from Boston Garden. It ranks up there in my top of the top shows. I have a cool story surrounding that. During that Spring 1973 tour I went on the road to see them and around the Nassau show on Long Island, ended up at the Pink Floyd show at Radio City Music Hall. Guess who I saw in the audience; yep; all band members "except" Jerry. So there's an empty seat next to Keith; approach and ask Keith if it's empty; he says yes, and I of course, sit down. We had a wonderful conversation. I complimented him on his opening piano riffs on Bobby's playing in the band album ACE that only just released the prior summer from what I recall. He really really appreciated it. I asked where Jerry was and Keith said he took off that morning and was probably hanging with friends. I told Keith the shows I'd just seen them perform in various States and that I was going to see them at the Boston Garden on 4/2/73 for what was the end show of that tour. Keith said to me; and I quote "That is going to be a special show". ... so I don't know what he knew that I didn't, but boy, was he right. It's not just the song selection of course; but the quality of playing that night was way over the top. Try to look it up and listen on the Archives if any of you have time. You'll see what I mean.

Set List:
    Promised Land
    Deal
    Mexicali Blues
    Brown Eyed Women
    Beat it on Down the Line
    Row Jimmy
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    Box of Rain
    Big River
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    You Ain't Woman Enough
    Jack Straw
    Don't Ease Me In
    Playing in the Band

Ramble On Rose
    Me and My Uncle
    Mississippi Half-Step
    Around and Around
    Loose Lucy
    Greatest Story Ever Told
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    WRS Prelude
    Eyes of the World
    China Doll
    Sugar Magnolia
    Casey Jones
    Johnny B. Goode

We Bid You Goodnight

-Zafu

16. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN RELEASED ALREADY? loved it since my first board tape of thirty years ago

jay.dee likes this.
  17. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

Great story, Zafu! Thanks for sharing. I don't think I have this show--may have to dial up 4/2/73 on the app & give it a listen...

18. PatrickO'Donnell

PatrickO'Donnell Active Member

Based on what they've released so far I'm assuming there'll be a 60s/Pigpen era show and a late 70s/early 80s show rounding out the year (not complaining.) I'm personally hoping for some 70/71 but I don't know how much strong stuff from that era is still unreleased. Also wouldn't mind if they stepped out with some early primal Dead or something from the mid/late 80s to switch it up.

BTW, is Vol. 14 a Betty Board?

19. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

cool story. I downloaded 4/2 Bertha version and it does rock. Thanks!

20. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I've said it before and it's probably not a popular opinion around here, but I wish that Dave would step out of the '70s comfort zone every once in a while. I wouldn't mind an '80s or even '90s show now and then.

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Trivia: the next Keith & Donna show after 4/2/73 was released. 4/4/73 they sat in with New Riders Of Purple Sage in Worcester, MA and this was included in the New Riders vault series.

I had a cassette of 4/2/73 but haven't heard it in a while. Notable because I think it is the only show where the Dead tried doing a space jam out of Here Comes Sunshine.

22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

You talked all the way through the Floyd show?? How rude!

:p

23. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

lol No ! This was all prior to Pink Floyd taking the stage. Once they did I remained in that seat, despite the fact my friends were elsewhere "but understood" of course. About 20-minutes in to Dark Side of the Moon (believe album was performed in its entirety that evening), all the dead start leaving. I asked Keith where they were going and response was "have fun in the city". /shrug... couldn't believe they left during such an amazing event, but then again, hearing a concert probably wasn't their first choice after day after day of performing them. They missed a great freakin show !! ;p

24. Yes. Vol. 14 was recorded by Betty Cantor.

25. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

Miss Jackson if you're nasty. :bdance:

mgb70 and John Bonham like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.