Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2014-2015 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Niiiiiice. :)

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Kate could probably say **** 20 times in a sketch and still have a job.

3. DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Did something happen to this thread? No posts between January 8th and Dudley's today? I was expecting to find some discussion of the Kevin Hart/Sia episode from this past weekend.

5. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Haven't watched the entire DVR'ed episode yet, but saw one bit called "Why Did You Post That?" where Kevin berated people for posting stupid s#!+ on Instagram. Very funny idea (there should be a real show like that), but semi-inept implementation.

Jrr likes this.
  6. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I watched it, it was not bad, larfed a few times, they seem to be getting better or at least had a good holiday rest.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I actually thought it was going great until the end of the sketch where they were going to leave the castle to feel the dragon when Leslie Jones showed up. The sketch had already been funny enough, and the tacked on ending with her brought it down. The last two sketches were just so-so. But the Kate McKinnon as Bieber Calvin Klein spoofs with Cecily as the model were very funny. I did like "Why'd You Post That". The soap opera reunion was funny, and I liked the Bushwick sketch too.

Oh, and then there were the super pretentious musical performances.

8. And no comments on the last episode. I, for the first time possibly since the 1980 season, didn't even bother to watch it. Maybe SNL has completely run out of steam.

9. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I saw it, it was okay, some funny stuff, more Bobby Moynihan and AIdy than usual. Not a wreck of an episode, I would say average laughs.

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I laughed maybe 5 times the whole episode. Unlike some episodes, though, I could see the humor in almost all the sketches. It was more bland than bad.

11. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I thought it was fairly par for the season.

I used to think Leslie Jones was pretty funny, but she's quickly turned into a one trick pony. I can only think of one, maybe two, sketches this year where she's not angry, intimating or yelling. Boring.

agentalbert and Mister Charlie like this.
  12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

This was one of those weird episodes where I actually enjoyed the post-update sketches more than the earlier stuff. A lot of the early going felt like case studies of SNL sketches with 30 seconds worth of funny premise stretched out to excruciating length.

stereoptic likes this.
  13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I'm so far behind on SNL. We have a bunch sitting on the DVR, waiting for us to finally have some time to watch.

I did get a chance to watch two Vintage SNLs though.

I was thrilled to see the Dec. 20, 1986 episode with William Shatner featured. It's one of the strongest of that era, imho, that features some of the best bits in SNL's history. The 'Mute Marine' opening bit on Ollie North (man Shatner is such a delightful ham here), the 'Get a Life' Star Trek Convention, the alternate ending to 'It's a Wonderful Life' (an ending that we all know we'd really like to see, right? :agree:), and smokin' performances by the criminally underrated Lone Justice. Oh man, what a show!

The edited one hour repeat kept most of the good stuff in. My only complaint is they cut Lone Justice's ripping performance of 'I Found Love' but kept in Buster Poindexter's 'Is That You Santa Clause'. Bleh. I always hated Johansen's Poindexter schtick. I happily kept this entire uncut episode on VHS when I recorded it in the summer repeat as a kid. I loved it so much the first time around that I decided to keep it, so glad I did.

The Dec. 15, 1984 episode with Eddie Murphy hosting thrilled me! It's the first 'Vintage' repeat that wasn't made under Lorne. I remember seeing most of this when I was a kid, and this is one of my favorite seasons of SNL with so many great actors and characters coming out of this. I haven't seen it in years and it has aged pretty well IMHO. Murphy got to reprise some of his best characters like Mr Robinson and Buckwheat and even Gumby. Fun seeing the Honeydrippers again too, even though it was basically a Plant novelty act. One piece that didn't age well at all was Murphy's bit with the dolls at the Weekend Update desk. There was some pretty mean spirited homophobia in there that didn't at all bother me as a 14-year old, but now it made me seriously cringe. Just a reminder at how much has changed in the past (omg!) 30 years. Whoa.

I hope we get some more Ebersol 'Vintage' SNLs, but I have a feeling this was a unique case because it was Murphy's only time back on the show.

dan c

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A lot of people around here don't like her....I don't know why. She is a very versatile actress and I found I laughed at almost all her skits back in the day. I do have to admit that though I have been very crirical of SNL the past couple of years, they have really pulled it together the past few episodes! Like someone else said, I'm actually starting to like the WU hosts, not just tolerate them. And I really hate to say this, but I guess we have to trust that Lorne knows what he's doing. I respect him for not making hasty decisions based on what people like us say. He seems to make casting decisions and then stands by them, giving them time to rise to their potential.

Dan C likes this.
  15. I didn't care for her much because she was the queen of the one-note recurring character. Most of her characters existed to utter their one phrase/display their one trait and then hammer it into the ground. Plus, she was Ginny, which should be enough to ban her from the show for life. It wasn't until Bridesmaids that I got a better appreciation for what she can do.

16. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading. Thread Starter

17. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

If you check out some of her more recent, non-comedic films ("Hateship, Loveship", "The Skeleton Twins"), you'll soon see she is wasting her talent doing comedies.

I actually thought Wiig's performance in "Bridesmaids" was Academy Award worthy. Her character, Annie, had a real, tangible undercurrent of sadness as well as real-world anger that Wiig was able to allow to surface from time to time in a loud, brash comedy. Any other actor/actress would have made broader choices to get laughs, but Wiig chose to underplay scenes and accessed real emotions in her portrayal.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  18. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Politically, SNL now seems very reigned in and makes jokes FOR the establishment, rather than against it.

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Wiig and Hader were so amazing together in "Skeleton Twins". Wiig is a true talent with tons of subtle emotional depth and versatility.

dan c

20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I agree that wiig is capable of subtlety and depth and all that. But she rarely showed that on SNL. And I cringed every time gilly or the target lady sketches would come on.

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I miss Wiig on SNL a lot. She's so smart and so hot.

I thought Blake did a good job. My girlfriend has me watching "The Batchelor" with her and "Farm Hunk" was spot on. And Wishing Boot had me on the floor.

22. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I don't record the show unless the musical guest appeals to me. And the acts SNL books
    are not meant to appeal to a man my age....

23. That's because Murphy got mad at a sarcastic comment David Spade made on the show and he decided to pout for 25 years.

24. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

IIRC The SNL 25th Anniversary show had every single living cast member back except Eddie Murphy and one other person. I think I remember but let's see if anyone else does (without checking the internet). Hint: Most people's reaction will be "who?".

25. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Joe Piscopo? Charles Rocket?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.