Just finished another custom turntable order

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by maskdbagel, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maskdbagel

maskdbagel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alright, eventually this is going to turn into spam, so I'll quit soon, but I wanted to show you guys one more turntable. Just delivered this one today to a very happy coworker with a big stack of vinyl at home.

The goal from here is to get a Kickstarter project going to get the shop really up to snuff with good dust collection, better router and drill press, nice finishing setup, etc., and start producing these with some regularity. (If you like it and want to post something on Facebook or wherever to get eyeballs on the Kickstarter project when it launches, send me a PM - I'd be very grateful.)

I'm into a repeatable process now - I have fifteen more slices on the way from the same black walnut tree, a good source for these nice looking adjustable feet, and a wholesale account set up with Rega's US importer. The first one of these I did with used parts was a little tricky sourcing things separately, the second used one had an R200 arm that I ended up needing to rewire... I want consistency in both the supply and the process, so I'm going with new tables from here. This one is stock parts of a Rega RP3. (I'm just planning on unloading the plinths and lids as I make these, so if anyone needs one of those, let me know.) Wood is black walnut, as you can see. The finish is just dry 40/80/12/220/320 and a wet 400 to smooth the grain, and then wipe-on matte poly, dipped on the bark, wiped on the grain. Finishing touch is a Shure M97xe - not too too fancy, but an excellent cart for its price, in my opinion. Very happy with how this turned out. Hope you like it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

I like this. I should have this done to my RP3.

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Great job

4. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

How true (flat) will that piece of natural timber be in 5 years?

What do you do to it to make/keep it flat?

Analogman

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yikes !!!!!!!!!!:eek:

6. maskdbagel

maskdbagel Forum Resident Thread Starter

I expect it to stay as sturdy as an MDF plinth, really. It's quite thick, and very hard wood. Dried naturally and acclimated to a home environment, and then finished on all surfaces with polyurethane. Based on furniture I've had and used, I don't expect any movement.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Neat! What a unique looking plinth!!!

8. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Sweet......:righton:

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Beautiful job!

10. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

that is beautiful, congrats on a job well done.

11. Analogman

Thank you

I am sure you are correct; but so is plywood (probably more so than both MDF and your piece of natural timber)

Plywood will definitely bow with time (even marine grade) in a single, stand alone run in high humidity environments (not part of a box or other assembly or sans some sort of bracing)

I think what you have done is certainly ambitious and beautiful to some, but for this application I would tend to believe that some sort of bracing to prevent warping or checking would be wise

Some sort of cleats?

This is a piece for which long term geometric integrity is of paramount importance not to mention the fact that it is definitely a "one of a kind" plinth, impossible to easily replicate if some unforeseen process of Nature were to manifest

Analogman

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is a novelty item with fairly inexpensive components. I don't think there is any need to go crazy. This isn't an SME.

beowulf likes this.
  13. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I think your turntable looks outstanding, maskdbagel. I wouldn't change a thing. More than anything, I love how you've made audio a hobby. It was a hobby when I started in hi-fi. I built kit amplifiers and speakers as a kid.

Keep up the good work and the spirit, maskdbagel. :righton:

14. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I agree with Tullman. Someone who buys this is not looking for the ultimate in vinyl payback. It looks cool and if I had a cabin in the woods somewhere, this might be part of my system. Nice job!

ddarch likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:laugh:

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I too would be a bit concerned about wood movement, although poly is un-breathable so if the wood is stable and 100% sealed it should be ok. I would however feel a little better about that if the bark was off it so the side wood was sealed. Really nice regardless.

17. Analogman

What a stupid remark......"novelty"?!

Makes no difference how you classify the aesthetic; the records being played on it, or being played on it 10 years from now may not be "novelty" records

The Rega drive train and arm certainly isn't "novelty" level hardware

You should think before you speak (write) stupid thing

Analogman

18. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

I like it. It's different. You did a good job.

I just put this thread on 'Watch'.

Waiting for the fireworks......

19. Analogman

I am glad you agree; so that makes for TWO stupid "comments"

Your remarks make it sound as if anyone buying this deck would have only minimal expectations..........I mean come on man, look at the hardware

It's not a damn toy or grandma's old record changer; it's made with some serious turntable bits

My remarks had nothing to do with who would and would not be interested in a table possessing this unique aesthetic

If you had read for comprehension you would have learned I was speaking to correct plinth/arm geometry and maintaining it

And that my friend goes to protecting your valuable and cherished Lps

NOTHING to do with judging the table and my suggestion would be a relatively simple "fix"

I do not believe for one second that anyone (typical median turntable owner) buying a Rega arm and drive train would consider that expense a "novelty" in and of itself

And I am fairly certain that the OP isn't giving his reclaimed wood, art & crafts handwork away for free either

Analogman

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    arisinwind and Ash76 like this.
  20. Analogman

Why fireworks?

I have merely pointed out what I feel (and anyone else who is honest or has worked with wood) a glaring omission in the design/execution of this table

Rustic aesthetic it may be, but it is still a relatively expensive machine on which expensive, cherished and sometimes rare Lps will be played

The plinth should be made stable (FOR THE LONG HAUL)

Wood will change shape; I do not care how many coats of polyurethane you put on it

On top of that fact, the builder has stated that it was naturally dried; it's not even kiln dried timber

That is a sin of omission that could render his decks useless in a few years as well as damage records and styli along the way (one might not even notice the changes unless they were a tweeker)

That's all I was suggesting; some sort of bracing/stabilization for the plinth

Comprendes?

Analogman

21. Analogman

Being a bit concerned about wood movement (changing shape ever so slightly over time) would be a reasonable concern; there are clearly voids evident in the piece shown in the photo and I would have to assume this timber is not fossilized

It will expand and contract

22. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

One thing to consider is it's black walnut, that is a pretty sturdy wood.

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

That dude does that crap all the time. A few months back I spent a lot of time and effort on an ongoing "50 Rock Songs I Want Everyone To Hear" thread. I had links to videos of every song along with a small writing on each. Everything was going good for a few weeks with lots of compliments and feedback. He quoted my very first pick and wrote "I am sorry I had to hear this. Nothing personal but that music is some low grade, low talent, no chops gahbage, lousy song writing. BTW, I don't like everything tull put out either. I am sure Ian Anderson isn't worried about Squirrel bait transcending his musical contributions. over and out. I stumbled on this thread by accident."

24. Analogman

How many times is this now? It is not the timber's shear strength or breaking point I was speaking to

Rather, it's ability to remain flat and thus perfectly parallel with the platter over time

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/wood_movement.php

25. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

Songs from the wood........ Nice Job

Tullman, johnny q and ggergm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.