Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper out January 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by inaptitude, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emollerstuen

emollerstuen Forum Resident

2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

If you get the 3-lp Deluxe version through other outlets does it not come with it?

3. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Please report back!

4. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got my 3lp boxset last night and, after listening to MP3s of this the last few weeks, the vinyl sounds very sweet indeed. Just sounds more base-y and alive. Mine is also perfectly flat, no ticks and centered. The only issue I have is that, while the box is nice and all, it's really easy to bend or crease. I've taken the three lps out and put them in a bag and probably will just put the box in the closet.

For those of you that got it the 3lp set, I'm trying to figure out if I received the limited edition print they were offering with pre-orders or not. There was a print that was just laid into the shipping box outside the sealed set, has nice colorful swiggly lines on one side and all the lyrics on the other. Is this it?

EDIT: Just found out that this is the limited edition lithograph. Nice to have but too bad the lyrics are not included for others that order the regular set.

All in all, this album is closing in on Person Pitch for my favourite of his (which is a big deal as PP is in my top 5 albums of the last decade).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Bleep has 16 bit but not 24 bit lossless

https://bleep.com/release/55419-panda-bear-mr-noah

emollerstuen likes this.
  6. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Is the deluxe version worth getting? What's the Mr Noah 12 inch sound like?

7. Cowardlytrvlr

Cowardlytrvlr Member

I think the twelve inch sounds fantastic. It's 45rpm, and mine is dead quiet. To my ears, Mr. Noah (the track) actually sounds better on the Mr. Noah EP than it does on the album.

Gaslight likes this.
  8. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Thanks for the info - Have ordered the 3 lp set. Can you tell me if the lp is also 45? I noticed '45' printed in one of the listings for the lp and figured it must be a typo but now I'm wondering.

9. inaptitude

Lps are 33. EP is 45.

10. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

11. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Well as good as the 24 bit wav sounded, the LP is even better.
    There's a more clearly layered feel to it, and the sound is less compressed.
    I A/B'd them through the same speakers and then the same headphones with the same clear differences.

Now the 45 RPM EP is that same difference better than the 33 RPM LP. Mr. Noah sounds more tangible and alive on the vinyl EP.

The album is growing on me with each listen. It is already my favourite of his solo albums.
    And one of the best packaging I've gotten, from the package itself down to the amazing lettering and artwork on the inner sleeves.

I hope the "while supplies last" poster with the lyrics on the back is available for a while. A lot of the songs have barely intelligible lyrics. Boys Latin comes first to mind - gibberish without the lyrics to read.

s m @ and mikemoon like this.
  12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I certainly appreciate your feedback. I guess I will be ordering the 3-lp version while it's still in stock and around $30 USD.

I'm sure how will complain that it's not high quality "audiophile sound" because of Sonic Boom's trademark sound but that only matters so much as long as it works for the music!

13. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

The lyrics of his entire musical output are mostly unintelligible!

There was a recent article where Sonic Boom says he convinced Noah to include the lyrics with this album. Had fingers crossed that meant the CD too, but no lyrics with the CD.

14. inaptitude

The poster was just available to pre-orders from the Domino site, I believe. And they are all sold out. I wouldn't worry about it too much as it's not really that fantastic. I'm sure someone will transcribe the lyrics and have them online if they haven't already.

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Apart from side A of my copy of the EP being off-center, this 3xLP is pressed very well. Nice and clean, both visually and sonically. Just goes to show that United can put out a decent product once in a while.

I'm guessing the folks at Domino actually care about quality control and listen to the test pressings critically, because now that I think about it, most Domino vinyl releases I have are good quality.

As for the music itself, I've only listened to the album twice so far, but I'm pretty sure I already like it more than Tomboy, but maybe not quite as much as Person Pitch.

Gaslight likes this.
  16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Did Optimal press the EU version? I'm looking at possibly ordering from overseas with a few other preferred EU pressings. Thanks,

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Honestly, United actually did a good job this time. No serious complaints here and I haven't seen any from others so far, either.

mikemoon likes this.
  18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

It certainly doesn't have anything to do with trusting you, I trust your posts! I will say though one United pressing can be good and they next one crap. As you mentioned though, when a label/artist carefully inspects the test pressings, it helps matters.

I actually have $20 credit with juno uk and they have it for $30 and I think it may be OOP here? I'm also ordering the Nick Cave reissues from them and they are pressed at United as well for the US pressings. I prefer Optimal over United any day but I would likely take the chance on the United if I didn't already have the credit with them.

Bryan likes this.
  19. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Anyone with comments on the sonics of the CD? How does it compare with the LP/download?

20. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Picked up the 2xLP yesterday and it is a freaking utter disaster. Record 1 is horribly, audibly off center with non fill zippy sounds and lots of visible divots in the vinyl. Record 2 is warped so bad along the outer edge it causes my stylus to jump. What a piece of stinking $27 crap. I like the album but this is just deplorable. Hopefully the shop will take it back.

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like the usual story for a United pressing. Glad my 3xLP version is okay.

Brudy likes this.
  22. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

It's always a crap shoot with United. I'm glad your copy is solid.

23. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

Yikes. I picked up the 2xLP version (didn't realize there was one with the EP or I might've grabbed that instead). Glad to hear that most people say the vinyl is great, but the one comment above gives me the willies. Won't have time to listen to it until at least the weekend, unfortunately.

This is a very good question. I'm sure the answer is different case-by-case. My general expectation for things like this would be that a 24-bit version would be the same master as the (down-converted) 16-bit version. Not the same digital master used for cutting the vinyl (assuming they're different). It would be cool if they did do that for the 24-bit, though. It'd be interesting to find out which of our assumptions is correct.

Also, I'm sure everyone realizes this, even in hi-res a recording like this isn't going to sound 'audiophile' in the sense that a lot of people of this forum use the term. It's just not that kind of music. But, for people like us in this thread, it'll likely still sound better, if not necessarily as if you're listening to them layer their synths/effects in an opera house or something. I'd assume it can sound better, otherwise why would they bother? I'd like to test that out, though. I'm going to have to try to track down the 24-bit version.

mikemoon likes this.
  24. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Even though my copy is crapped you can really hear the difference between the vinyl and streaming on Spotify - the whole thing sounds wider and more atmospheric, less enclosed.

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Heard this at work the other day: really trippy, cool album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.