The Lynyrd Skynyrd Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I'm sure that many vocal coaches would say that Ronnie didn't have much in the way of vocal technique which is true to a point. However, he his voice fit Skynyrd's music perfectly. I don't mind Donnie's voice but getting Don Barnes to sing 38 Special's hits was a wise move.

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

IMO, Ronnie had a strong voice and he could belt when he needed to. He could handle a ballad like Am I Losin easily. His pitch was pretty good too. A very good to near great singer IMO.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

iirc, "Mr. Banker" was previously mentioned in the thread. However, there are two more additional Ed King era songs that were released in 1987 on "Legend". Those two songs are: "Truck Drivin Man" and "Take Your Time"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_(Lynyrd_Skynyrd_album)

Are there any other non lp songs that were recorded prior to Ed's departure from the band?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    warewolf95 likes this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'll have to use that one with th wife :uhhuh:

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Robert Duvall just used it in " The Judge," my newest Blu ray.

6. pool_of_tears

Nice!

Myke likes this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Up next-
    [​IMG]

905 and Myke like this.
  8. pool_of_tears

Ugh, I better comment on Nuthin' Fancy

Rose River Bear likes this.
  9. Rose River Bear

One of my favorite LS tunes.......

905 and Myke like this.
  10. Rose River Bear

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Memphis on Collectybles was a Second Helping outtake. One More Time from Street Survivors is from an older session and supposedly features Ed King. I'm not sure if I've Been Your Fool and Gotta Go from The Best Of The Rest feature Ed King or not.

Memphis on Collectybles only features Rossington, Wilkeson & Burns, I just looked it up.

reb likes this.
  12. Myke

One More Time , as released on Street Survivors is the 1975 remix, done by Ed.

I've Been Your Fool/Gotta Go was a 1971 single. 2 years before Ed.

13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

John beat me to it, I was just writing the same thing. But on this subject, I have been wondering why "I've Been Your Fool" and "Gotta Go" are not included on any of the current CD's? As far as I know they were only on the Best of the Rest LP, and the CD version of that is long out of print, and it seems it was never released in Europe at all, I never saw it when I started getting all the albums in the early 90's. Why are these not considered part of the "canon"? Were they not rare enough for Collectybles while not fitting in with the material on any of the other releases?

reb likes this.
  14. Myke

A single considered forgettable. At least Best Of The Rest can be found easily online.

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My understanding is that I've Been Your Fool and Gotta Go were considered at one for possible inclusion on the first album but they were released as a single and I've never seen a personnel listing for these songs.

16. Rose River Bear

Anyone can discuss any tune at any time but just to let everyone know, I will be getting to Collectybles later on.

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I actually have both those titles mentioned above on lp and cd.

I've Been Your Fool and Gotta Go are Muscle Shoals recordings produced by Jimmy Johnson and Tim Smith.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Sorry to jump ahead, I was just trying to answer Robert's question.

19. Rose River Bear

I realized that. Anyone can discuss any tune at any time even before I get to it. I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be doing the compilations also. :righton:

highway and John Fell like this.
  20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Very sweet guitar from Rossington. I noticed Ronnie and Leon are both using dual microphones. Is this for noise cancellation or something to do with an extra recording channel for the BBC?

21. Rose River Bear

I noticed that too. Good question.

22. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

They're perhaps not top quality, but one could argue that there are lesser material elsewhere among demos and outtakes and it would have been nice to have them included somewhere too. I guess they should have gone on The Complete Muscle Shoals Album, if there had been room. When was this single released?

23. Myke

You could argue any songs until you're blue in the face, or drop dead. Each person involved has an opinion, and if each of those opinions has any bearing on how many times a song is included on a compilation, well, as the years pass the cream will rise to the top.
    Sweet Home Alabama, and Free Bird.

Those two, along with a handful more are EXACTLY why audiences still pay good money to see Gary And His AssClowns play under the Skynyrd name in venues everywhere.
    It's why Judy and Vector Management continue to rake in the $$$$.
    Ronnie's songs. Not the mediocre ones, the Anthems.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

All 100 of them?:uhhuh:

frank3si and Dave Hoos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.