Does your significant other share the same love for any of your favorite artists/bands?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

My wife loves The Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Mowtown and Stax. She doesn't listen as much as she used to though.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  2. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

Have you tired the Bridging Technique? Hip hop simplifies this approach due to the many guest artists hip hop tends to have on it's albums. If she likes Kanye, try playing some Common tracks produced by Kanye?

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

I might do that. Maybe I'll have her check out Common's "Be" album. :)
    She hates the braggadocious/misogynistic stuff so Common would be a safe move.

LavidDange likes this.
  4. It means she absolutely detests your musical tastes and thinks you're an absolute fool, but she's trying to be polite. My wife does this too when she's in a good mood. :D

PHILLYQ and JDeanB like this.
  5. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Yes. We've both been positive influences on each other.

Jerrre likes this.
  6. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

My husband has the worst taste in music of anyone I know. :biglaugh:He is ok with listening to whatever is on the radio. Or not. Lol He doesn't really care about music or records or going to concerts. At all. It is my hobby that I do on my own. I go to shows by myself and have for many many years. Do I wish we had the music thing in common? Sometimes yes sometimes no. It's just the way it is.

bleachershane likes this.
  7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

My wife is extremely hard of hearing so no. She grew up listening to country and still listens to it even though she can't hear much besides he bass. Most bands, she can't even tell if there's a singer. She detests anything that doesn't have a regular beat.

Before we started dating, I never thought I'd go on a road trip without music, but I've been doing it for 24 years now.

8. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

No. That's why I buried her in the woods behind my house.

tspit74, ti-triodes and Sandinista like this.
  9. zen

zen Senior Member

Three categories (we tend to agree on):
    • Rock ('n' roll) including progressive rock, but no modern metal
    • Pop (From Bing Crosby to Kelly Clarkson: melody is key)
    • Classical (Baroque through the early Romantic era)

10. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

My wife is very grateful to me for introducing her to Neutral Milk Hotel and the Avett Brothers. She's into some stuff that I don't care for, like Taylor Swift, but she is content to listen by herself in the car or whatever. She generally either likes or is OK with most of what I listen to, as long as it isn't too abrasive or crazy.

Jerrre likes this.
  11. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

You definitely win the forum.

Jerrre and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  12. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

My wife usually reads while I listen to music. ;)

13. JohnnyQuest

Please stop.

14. timind

timind phorum rezident

We both enjoy U2, Tears For Fears and some other bands from the 80s. That's when we met and fell for each other. More recently though, she really only listens to top 40 stuff which bores me to tears.

15. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

We worked at the same record store when we first got together, and after 35 years our musical tastes overlap considerably. We still have our own unique preferences, but she's just as excited about the Rush R40 tour as I am, and I had a blast at Jamie Cullum's show at Largo this past weekend. Together we've seen acts as diverse as Opeth and Rufus Wainwright in the same week; Streisand to King Crimson. And we'd both play music 24/7 if we could.

Jerrre likes this.
  16. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

There is some intersection. She's fine with most Classic Rock (Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Elton John, AC/DC...etc). We tend to part ways a bit over progressive rock, heavy metal and most modern rock.

17. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I put her onto Sinatra, we both like Coldplay (less is more for me) and Jamie Cullum - we've seen those last two live. I will borrow stuff from the library to try out on her, hoping she'll like some of it. If she really doesn't like it, she'll say and vice versa. Recently, she said a best of Herb Alpert made her feel happy, so that was put onto her phone so she can play it in the car - kids seem to like it too, for some reason.

18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

We only intersect on Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush and John Martyn.

19. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

My wife is very open-minded and enjoys most of my stuff. One funny thing is that she can't stand Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys - it is a running joke we have.

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

yes and it is a result of many years of effort on my part. she was a project.

when I met her she was way into the barenaked ladies. Slowly over a long period of time she now will plan vacations around music festivals and I have taken her to see further NYE shows in San fran a couple times, to MSG and Red Rocks. We have traveled to see consecutive Steve Kimock, SCI and ALO shows, many YMSB and other Bluegrass performances. We got kicked out of a Bob Dylan concert for standing (long story).

I put on records for about 20 hrs a week and she is right there with it. the only time she complains is with the more free form jazz and Kris Kristofferson.

I couldn't event begin to think about starting this project over again with a new woman.

21. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

We share a love of Jackson Browne, The Beatles, Kathleen Edwards and a few
    various songs from our youth.
    Mostly she tolerates my love of the Grateful Dead, YES.
    I keep her ears away from Dylan, Tom Waits.
    I have to state she is very supportive of my music addiction.
    Even attending concerts with me that she would never think of going to on her own.

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My wife "likes" The Beatles as any casual music listener would. Other than that, I'll just say that she's a very tolerant species.

23. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

On our first date, my (now) wife and I bonded over our shared love of the music of artists like George Michael and Cock Robin. I found it very cool that she grew up on the other side of the planet (Taiwan) speaking a completely different language, yet was exposed to and loved a lot of the same music that I did in the '70s and '80s.

24. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

No, not much beyond Dylan and the Beatles.

25. JohnnyQuest

Two greats. :) My girlfriend couldn't get past Bob's voice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.