The new color palette of Hollywood films: Orange and Teal

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pinknik, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Roger Meadows

Roger Meadows Active Member

I trust your judgment. I hardly go to the local theater any more. Ever since they switched over to digital projection all the movies they show look like they were made for television.

2. Roger Meadows

So this is you Vidiot!

Pinknik and crimpies like this.
  3. Roger Meadows

Tom Savini's Night Of the Living Dead is a lot darker on Blu ray as opposed to the DVD. It caused Twilight Time to issue refunds to angry customers.

The Matrix DVD has washed out looking colors whereas the Blu ray has a green tint to it.

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring extended edition has a greenish tint on the Blu-ray.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naaaa, not to me. I think well-photographed films shot digitally can look fantastic in digital projection, but it depends on a lot of issues. If they're aligned to DCI standards, there should be no problem. To me, it's all about good lighting.

I do agree that there are a lot of effects-dominated films that have kind of a phony "plastic" look overall, but I don't think this affects a regular straight-ahead comedy or drama. The Artist is a film I saw twice in digital projection, and it not only looked exactly like film to me, I could see the crew worked very hard to create the look of nitrate, which has a very unusual "glow" we haven't seen in traditional films in decades. And I'm speaking as a longtime Technicolor film guy working in a digital world.

Yes, when I was younger and even more obnoxious.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Open Range huh ? Impressive. A BIG favorite for my son and I. Waiting patiently for a Blu ray.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I don't know the reason for the delay on the Blu-ray. It did already come out in Europe, and that's my transfer. This was a rare case where I did all the TV trailers, the theatrical trailers, the theatrical film version, the theatrical digital version, and 100% of the home video versions, HD and standard-def and foreign. Very rare one that person does everything.

Myke likes this.
  7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Did you work on Sleepy Hallow, the film. Now that was one wacky looking show. It had some kind of Silver Nitrate thingie done to it to make it look old and spooky.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, but doing a faux-Bleach Bypass is done quite often these days. Eh, it's a coupla knobs.

I did work a little bit on Alice in Wonderland, but only for 2 weeks. Very nice people.

9. Rachael Bee

I knew it! You're the mad hatter.... ;)

10. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I just noticed an even more extreme look like this in a Hyundai commercial last night - makes it look like 1970s television.

11. My biggest beef is DP that don't even calibrate their own TVs or turn off or motion control. No hyperbole. This is common. At least on the East Coast. Seriously. All that fuss on the production and no care into presentation of the final product. :shake:

12. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

I'm surprised by the ignorance of a lot of supposedly tech-savvy filmmakers when it comes to this stuff. Recently, one well-known young Hollywood director tweeted that his expensive new TV makes most movies look like crap. Many responded to school him on the benefits of calibration and turning off motion interpolation, including Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper, some upcoming Star Wars things), who could have a career in TV calibration if this directing thing doesn't pan out for him.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, the smart ones do. It's not that expensive to hire a guy to come over for a few hundred bucks and calibrate a monitor. And a total tax write-off for a working DP.

No, but I was amazed that Johnny Depp's earpiece could be heard by the set microphones, so you could hear his pre-recorded dialogue being fed to him prior to each take. He apparently prefers that to reading the script.

14. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

15. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

What gets me so mad is when a film suddenly has this teal-orange look and feel to it; when it never did before. Many newer releases of classic catalog titles seem to get infused with this, and simply written off as being "more accurate". I don't claim to be an expert, nor have I seen a preserved print or color references for each but sometimes it seems painfully obvious that someone somewhere decided to infuse teal.
    Like when Superman's costume goes from blue to teal. How does that work? :wtf:

16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If you're talking Superman: The Movie, Superman's suit is teal for bluescreen shots.

17. Says the guy with the Monster avatar. :laugh:

18. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

Wow, had no idea they would ever consider converting older movies to that format, let alone be able to, or even think it was a remotely bright idea. I hope I never run into it, or I'll just watch something else, as I absolutely hate that odd teal look. Although I must say it makes me more appreciate older movies that were filmed in such great technicolor.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey, that's just orange - no teal! ;)

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And it takes 2 seconds to change his costume to the correct blue color. We do this stuff all the time when actors' costumes don't have quite the same brightness or shade of color shot-to-shot due to lighting inconsistencies. You just need mastering engineers who are skilled at what they do and want to do their best.

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Watching tonight's Justified, guess what conversation I thought of ?

[​IMG]

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't watch the show, but in the picture, it looks to me like there is a cyan/blue lightsource in the scene which is altering the color balance everywhere (like facial highlights, etc).

crispi likes this.
  23. Rachael Bee

OK, I get it, you've never seen adult Smurfs... ;)

24. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I didn't think I had ever noticed the teal/orange thing until I read about it here, but then I remembered an NCIS: Los Angeles episode last year where it was really bothering me how blue (teal actually) the whites of peoples eyes were. It really bothered me as if there was some weird blue light off camera that didn't make any sense. Now I'm starting to notice that effect in shows/movies that are obviously in the orange & teal camp. I guess they forget to fix peoples eyes in post after making all the other whites teal.

25. And also sky & snow usually.