Andy Gibb. 3 solo albums re-released in Japan 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm not expecting a huge response to this, but did anyone get these 2013 Japanese reissues and can compare sound quality to the 1998 US Polygram CDs? Thanks.

Volt-and-Volume and andy75 like this.
  2. GlassOnion

GlassOnion Well-Known Member

I like only a handfull of songs,i don't have anything of his at all on cd.might have a song or or 2 on lp on some ktel album..only thing i would buy and would buy it 2nd hand would be a best of.maybe 3 songs i like by him.love the bee ges though,but only enough for greatest hits 2cd i have, and it gets played

3. GlassOnion

GlassOnion Well-Known Member

Also can't believe its going to be 26 years since hes been gone

4. Bobby Morrow

Anyone get these reissues?

5. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Forum Resident

I'm interested, too. I haven't owned them since I bought them on cassette back in the '70's. If I hear some favorable comments, I'll probably pick up the reissues.

6. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

I love these Albums. Still a great concert memory seeing him from the second row at the Seattle Center. Talented artist, gone WAY to soon.

7. Bobby Morrow

Another tumbleweed thread!

Did anyone ever get these Japanese CDs and can comment on sound quality?

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I would also like to hear how these sound.
    Haven't heard After Dark since I owned the vinyl.

Darryl

9. Bobby Morrow

Andy's 3 solo albums were released on CD by Polydor in 1998. They all sounded very good and I suspect the Japanese titles are straight reissues. You never know, though!

10. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I didn't even know they were rereleased in 2013! Like the sound of the 1998 discs, but if these ones sounds even better, I'm happy to upgrade.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I have the 1998 CDs of FR & SD.
    SD took me awhile to find, but FR was the easiest of the '98 CDs to find.
    I still see it from time to time, much more than SD.

Darryl

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

From the pictures, they look exactly the same as the U.S. 1998 CDs, so who knows?

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Darryl,

Last time I looked AD was on iTunes if you can live with lossy and wanted to hear those songs again. It is a maligned album but I love it since Barry was at the top of his game at the time.

Jeff

14. Bobby Morrow

I really like After Dark. This could be the two Olivia duets talking, though!

15. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Olivia's presence certainly doesn't hurt, but I like the rest of the album too. Much of it plays almost like a Barry Gibb solo album, as his influence is at least as strong as it was on Streisand's Guilty album from the same era.

16. Bobby Morrow

Yes, some of my favourite Andy songs are on that album. The title track, Dreamin' On, Wherever You Are, Warm Ride... Actually, the 2 Olivia duets are amongst the weakest cuts. I remember being disappointed at how bland I Can't Help It was upon hearing it back in 1980.

fsutall, kyletx500 and Jarleboy like this.
  17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Maybe I'm quaint but...
    I like holding a CD in my hands.

Darryl

18. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Agreed. They may have been big hits, but songs like I Honestly Love You, Hopelessly Devoted, I Can't Help It, etc. bore me to tears! I do love ONJ but for whatever reason I find her uptempo material to be much more appealing.

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was thinking the same thing. Strange how those two albums blow away his two official solo ones!

While it is great that "Warm Ride" finally saw the light of day, I've often thought it would have been nice for the other two Gibb written songs from the SNF era used on this album, "Save Me, Save Me" and "Ain't Nothing Gonna Keep Me From You". Hmm, demos of those songs would have nice on the new lame boxset too.....

Jarleboy and fsutall like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Yes, I could never stand I Honestly Love You either. It's a shame because it's not a song she lets you forget!

21. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Speaking of Andy, has "All I Have To Do Is Dream" ever been released on an official CD anywhere in the world? Not a great performance but the completist in me would love to own it...

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Not at all, I am 46 and strongly prefer physical media myself. But if I waited for Hawks to be reissued for instance, I would never get to hear those songs. So I bought the iTunes version of that and Robins Reign. In my Gibb collection those are the only two titles that I don't have a physical copy of.

I think half of AD is on disc four of Mythology so you might only have to DL 4-5 songs.

23. Bobby Morrow

I have Dusty Springfield singing Save Me Save Me. Not an especially great Bee Gees song...

24. Bobby Morrow

25. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

So true! The Andy Gibb albums are all very fine efforts, but Barrys bigger involvement on After Dark makes it the best of the three by far!

JeffMo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.