Victor - Alex Lifeson's solo album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DiabloG, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die Thread Starter

As a huge Rush fan, I don't know why I never got around to buying this album until finally breaking down with an Amazon purchase last week. I just received this CD today. I've only listened to Mr. X, Strip and Go Naked (love that title), and Sending Out a Warning so far. All I can say is that it's quite interesting and bizarre, but I'll definitely need some time to warm up to it as none of the songs have really stood out yet. To me, Geddy's solo album seems a bit "safer" and more accessible compared to Victor. So has anyone else heard this album?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    rcsrich likes this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I heard some of it. It is alright. A little weird. I wish these guys would just rip the guitar for a whole album like the old days.

johnny q and DrBeatle like this.
  3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed, it's always irked me how Rush literally overnight decided to abandon all guitar solos in their songs starting in the early 1990s. Almost like it was a conscious decision. Very weird.

I haven't listened to Victor in a long time, maybe I'll dust it off thanks to this thread...

Holy Diver likes this.
  4. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I had it one point when it first came out. but found it a little too obtuse and...um...eclectic. Maybe I'd think otherwise almost two decades on, but I doubt it.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I guess they were also influenced by grunge rock. :)

DrBeatle likes this.
  6. DrBeatle

Could be, but I wonder why they've only now been sneaking the odd mini-solo into their songs with the last couple of albums? *shrug* It's not like Alex can't play anymore, he's still incredible. Only Rush knows, I guess...

7. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I like the album a lot. I'm glad Alex had balls to do something different and eclectic. I remember around the time of the albums release he was listening to a lot of Nine Inch Nails and Tool so that's why the album had a lot of dark lyrical content. There's also a definite Zappa influence on there especially the song "Shut Up Shuttin' Up". I didn't dig the production of the album to much though. It sounded to cold and sterile IMO.

fuhrsy31 and Strummergas like this.
  8. botley

botley Forum Resident

Yeah, Zappa definitely seems to have been an influence. I like that track, it’s funny. The rest of it failed to grab me on first listen, although I only checked it out on Spotify last week. Will have to give it another spin.

9. madrushian

madrushian Active Member

big rush fan. It is different but for the time period it was more accepted. I do like a lot more than Geddys album. Alex wanted to rock

10. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I bought the CD when it was initially released. Thought it was OK, eventually got rid of it. I don't think I really gave it a chance.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Pretty weak album IMO. Had high hopes for it but it does nothing for me at all. Don't think I've even been able to sit through it more than twice. Hate the "songs".

Geddy's solo album on the other hand is one I like a lot.

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

At the time that Test For Echo came out (or might have been for Vapor Trails, I forget) I read an interview with Alex in a Guitar mag and he talked about this. For some reason which I do not recall (and can never understand since I think it is a total waste of talent to be such a great soloist but decide to no longer play solos per se) Alex said he was getting into guitar "textures" instead of guitar "solos" and that he would be playing in that style on the new Rush albums. No more solos per se, more just soundscape "textures". Thankfully he has gone and returned to playing more solos again starting with 2007's Snakes & Ladders.

DrBeatle likes this.
  13. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I find this a bit puzzling. Guitar solos are a part of creating textures, not a different entity.
    His fantastic solos on Rushs best stuff is part of what made those albums great. He not only did some great guitar work, his solos were always very appropriate and tasteful. He also was one of the few guys who could use rackmount effects and use them creatively instead of how must use them, in place of creativity.

slipkid likes this.
  14. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

That was the only song that came to mind when I read the thread title. Now I know why.

15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I liked it, but its a pretty dark album IMO. I always wished the members of Rush would've done more solo stuff.

16. ModernDayWarrior

Did you get the original pressing Atlantic cd or the Wounded Bird Records reissue?

17. ModernDayWarrior

Here's the only video released from the album,

Alex Lifeson - Victor - Promise Video 1996:

18. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die Thread Starter

Atlantic CD. I had no idea that there was even a reissue. How does the Wounded Bird CD sound?

19. ModernDayWarrior

I don't know myself. I also have the original Atlantic cd.

20. ModernDayWarrior

Coincidentally there is a slightly different version of Strip and Go Naked on the Guitars That Rule The World volume 2 Smell The Fuzz compilation that doesn't have drums for the first 4 measures where the album version has drums right from the beginning.

Victor (Alex Lifeson) - Strip and Go Naked:

21. DrBeatle

I remember that interview you mention! I used to devour guitar mags when I was in high school and college and really starting to learn how to play well. I remember that exact article you're referencing, and I agree, it seems a waste just to do it for the sake of it. I'd much rather take the approach of whatever is best for the song.

slipkid likes this.
  22. ModernDayWarrior

Here's Alex talking about the album on Rockline around the time it was released.

Alex Lifeson On Rockline 1996 Part One:

DiabloG likes this.
  23. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

Does Alex...sing ( :eek::D:sigh::help: ) on this album or is it all instrumental (or guest vocalists)?

24. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

I didn't like it at all - at first. But, the more I listened to it (specifically in the last few years) the more I really did like it. Lots of really great guitar work on it. The songs (imho) really do still stand up as good as Geddy's solo stuff - different, but just as good. Heresy? Give it a dedicated listen!

fuhrsy31 likes this.
  25. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Yes, on all three counts (some instrumentals).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.