Just finished another custom turntable order

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by maskdbagel, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

You've made your point. We got it. This thread is about a DIY guy making a cool looking turntable, not your understanding of the properties of wood.

Tullman and GuildX700 like this.
  2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Got Wood?

:)

ggergm likes this.
  3. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Not only making, but as far as I understand it, his ultimate goal is selling them to the public

The design was being introduced here, in a public forum, thanks to Steve Hoffman

The OP makes mention of developing his vision via a Kickstarter project, so no, it appears to be much more than just a "guy making a cool looking turntable" one off and done (he mentions the plans/intentions to scale up his production)

It was a legitimate question and valid point to consider, not an attack or undue criticism

Especially for a manufactured product (regardless of the artistic elements or "cool" factor)

I would be interested as well to see how any required CE, UL or other "gubment" rules and regs are handled

Pointing out some factual things (constructive criticisms) might just save the OP a lot of headaches if he gets this thing going

Good planning can make the difference between a successful endeavor or a potential nightmare

Process what you've read before you start lecturing folks

Analogman

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  4. Nice looking turntable. As a woodworker I wouldn't have an issue buying one. Black walnut is known for its dimensional stability. I have a 170 year old rifle with a black walnut stock. The fitting between the lock work and stock is still perfect.

Tullman likes this.
  5. Analogman

I hear you

But as a woodworker you know and understand that no two pieces of wood are the same

And there is no way to anticipate what a given piece will do over time beyond a "best guess" scenario

I would think prophylactic measures wise for an application such as this

Analogman

6. You're concern is noted.

There is always a chance of failure in everything. Nothing is perfect.

Like everything else, the turntable isn't for everyone.

7. maskdbagel

maskdbagel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, holy moly, an honest to goodness capital-C Conversation over here. Goodness.
    Analogman, you have a perfectly fair critique, and I appreciate it. Don't worry, I'm not too thin skinned or anything. I do have space on the bottom, and I recessed everything but the bearing [EDIT: not the actual bearing, but the... I don't know, bearing shaft?] completely just so I'd have space to do something. A cleat of some sort might be a nice extra brace, sort of a first cousin to what Rega does with RP3 vs. the RP1, both of which you'd reasonably expect to last. Like you pointed out, I do intend to sell these at a rate of maybe a couple a month, if there's demand, so quality is paramount.
    All that said, I stand by what I said before regarding seasoning of the wood, the choice of finish, and the choice of wood. (And for what it's worth, given the choice, I'll go naturally dried vs. kiln dried every single time. When drying, slower is better.)
    I really do appreciate the critique, though. You've got me thinking, and that's awesome. If I can get a nice looking bracing setup onto the bottom without undue expense, I'll give it a try. A circuit designer named Jim Hagerman gave me some constructive feedback early on, and that was really generous and kind of him. I'm not that old, and tons of people around me know a lot more than me about a lot of stuff, so I just want to keep on learning.

To the other discussion of comparison to SME, etc., man, you guys really gave me some relief. (And I chuckled at the word "novelty" - I took your point.) That's exactly the perspective I'm hoping for. I have to have quality, and I have to make something that will last and sound good, but I'm never going to even try to compete with Clearaudio or Avid or any of those guys. Not even interested. I think of audio gear as sort of three tiers (and this isn't the product of long reflection or anything, so maybe you guys can frame this all better than I do) - #1 is the Crosley stuff for 90 bucks from Target that will destroy your records and blah blah blah. You guys get it. #2 is Sony et al, for $250 or so, at Best Buy, for folks who want to have a turntable in their setup but really care a lot more about their TV. Totally respectable segment for what they're after. Whatever. And then #3 is the "serious" gear, sold in dedicated hi-fi shops, etc. I'm hoping to make something at the entry level of that #3. The type of folks that say "OK, I have 700-800 dollars and want to get an enjoyable setup to play records." And then hopefully they see a one-of-a-kind wooden thing that makes them grin a little, and they think "OK, I'll save just that little bit extra and get that instead." Because I want them to enjoy what they have, I want it to last, of course. And of course, like somebody mentioned up the thread a little bit, it's not like the RB303 or the rest of the parts are junk. Hopefully enough people will get some enjoyment enough that I can keep up a hobby. :)

Thanks again for the feedback, all!

Ash76, Tullman and ggergm like this.
  8. Analogman

Thank you for your understanding

I would like to see you succeed at this

Don't get me started on "Clearaudio"; that has to be one of the most disingenuous and unoriginal outfits going
    (yet people love their "products" a great deal of which is merely re-badged Case in point, their $16 RCA connectors are $1.50 REAN NYS 373s)

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...strated-diy-guide-making-your-own-cables.html

Point? I'd like to see you give them a little headache! (not knocking their tables, just their marketing BS)

You are presenting a table possessing the possibility of being just as good as a few of their own (again with their re-badging efforts, their bread and butter table for years being their take on a Planar 3 as well)

I never doubted you with regards to your wood, techniques or thoroughness

It was not even a "critique"; I was simply pointing out something that need pointing out

I did not think you would be interested in, or happy about, handling possible returns or complaints

No matter how small the perceived possibility may be (the old better to measure twice adage)

I would also suggest that the word "novelty" be dropped entirely or that will eventually be the only way this deck is viewed (the power of internet noise) It will stick!

Simply because your creation enjoys a unique aesthetic does not mean it is not also a serous record player

Thank you again for your understanding of my intent (and actually reading my posts)

Good luck

Analogman

9. maskdbagel

Ha! Yeah, "novelty" will definitely not be anywhere in the description! I've got a bunch of other words I'd rather stick. :)

10. Analogman

Do you have any net exposure yet aside from here? A link to anything?

11. maskdbagel

Not yet. I have a name, reserved the domain just in case, and working on a logo. Otherwise I've just shared photos on Facebook with friends. The plan is to get everything lined up to launch the Kickstarter thing, and have as many friends and folks as possible get eyeballs on that project at the same time right when it launches ("OK, guys, it's 10:30 AM Tuesday! Go!" sort of thing) to hopefully get a bit of momentum. I don't want to go too crazy and buy advertising or anything. I have a pretty fun day job and an awesome family, so I'm not trying to turn it into a huge operation. :)

12. Analogman

That is what I meant; what's the Facebook link?

13. maskdbagel

Oh, gotcha. I've just shared it in my personal space so far. I'll set up a Facebook page for the actual brand when the fundraising is underway.

14. Analogman

Get out in front of it!

Doesn't hurt to start teasing!

Good luck!

Analogman

15. migman

migman Forum Resident

Certainly it can be done. See here: http://audiowood.com
    I am sure there is plenty of room for competition. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.