Vintage videos: Madonna look alikes (1985)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was looking at some footage from Madonna's virgin tour back in 1985. From her music, to her image Madonna was truly a force, she was arguably the biggest pop star in the world at that time.

Here's Madonna performing 'Dress You Up'. The video contains footage from outside the arena with many of her fans dressed up as her.

Here's a Madonna look alike contest from 1985

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/231091/madonna-look-alikes-unite-in-1985.jhtml

One of my professors was going on the other day about how she and her friends would put lots of money (to the dismay of their parents) into copying Madonna's look, she said her grandparents believed Madonna was a terrible example for young girls to follow and was the death of music as they knew it. Apparently lots of girls were breaking her schools dress code by wearing crop tops just to look like Madonna did in her 'Into The Groove' video :laugh:. How fond are your memories of the time?

2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Interesting video.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

"Yo, is fun ya know? Madonnahr is cool! Yaz know whatta mean?"

SITKOL'76 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  4. SITKOL'76

Lol funny accent

5. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I love that video (and song). It's probably my favourite song from Like a Virgin. She truly is a pop star in this video and it's hard to believe she had only released a few records up to this point. She has the charisma but also the hunger. You can see it her eyes - the drive and ambition. She just had that X Factor but enough mystique to her to set her apart from the other stars at the time.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  6. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I was 13 in 1985. Didn't care for Madonna's music at the time with the exception of "Borderline".I do remember the controversy over Madonna supposedly being a bad role model for young girls. She was a target for morality watchdog groups such as the Parents Music Resource Center.

7. SITKOL'76

You could almost tell even all those years ago that Madonna was gonna stick around for years and years to come.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That has GOT to be one of the weirdest experiences possible - walking out into a stage, and seeing an entire arena full of people wearing your old clothes.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  9. SITKOL'76

Little did they know it would get worse during 1989-1992

10. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I can't imagine any other artist having their fans try to look like them. Hmmm.......

11. Shilling the Rubes

Shilling the Rubes Well-Known Member

Try imagining, having to live with your former personas, Hmmm.......

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yes, I can...

DesertHermit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.