SH Spotlight SACD & 45 RPM VINYL lovers, grab some NAT KING COLE, take a chance! "After Midnight," etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 26, 2011.

1. AndyH

AndyH Forum Resident

I thought some (most?) are available as hi res downloads now, perhaps that is making a difference.

2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

So the SACD's are here and I just noticed that Where Did Everyone Go? has a sticker on the outside that says "Disc Made in Austria". None of the others do. Just thought I'd throw that out there....

3. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I believe Austria is one of the only plants still set up for SACD pressing.

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I see...many thanks!

5. Shank's Pony

Shank's Pony Forum Resident

I think all of the SACDs I picked up for these had that Made in Austria sticker.

6. Shank's Pony

Shank's Pony Forum Resident

I should add they are wonderful, but you guys knew that.

Thanks Steve.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WOW! After years of listening to (and thoroughly enjoying) my mono LP of Welcome to the Club, I just played the SACD for the 1st time and I am completely blown away. It may well be the best sounding of all of the Cole SACD's.

Incredible!!!

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I played AFTER MIDNIGHT today in the car. My first thought was: "Why couldn't Rudy Van Gelder have recorded an acoustic piano like this?"

Pizza, FJC1966, bozburn and 1 other person like this.
  9. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I haven't listened to these CDs/SACDs enough to really get into them, but I gotta tell you they're some of the best
    sounding discs I've ever heard, mighty impressive for songs recorded in the 1950s, and superbly re-mastered by
    you, Steve....

Looking forward to you re-mastering Renaissance's Ashes Are Burning to CD/SACD..........................................!!

formu_la likes this.
  10. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Super like Steve. The piano on all the blue notes are brutal.

rxcory likes this.
  11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Impressive for any period, and there's no reason for something to not sound great because it was recorded in the '50's. I think many people's ideas of 1950's sound quality is based on a typical Rock n Roll song of the period, often not the most hi-fi thing.

CBackley and rxcory like this.
  12. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

There are certain recordings where they just nailed the recording of the piano. After Midnight definitely, I will also add Time Out and Soular Energy :)

13. Steve Hoffman

Agreed.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  14. FJC1966

FJC1966 The Prestonian

Having collected pretty much every significant official Nat King Cole release on CD since 1987 (including the 18 disc Trio set and Steve's fine DCC discs) I can bear witness to the fact that these SACD releases sound STUNNING....All the hard work paid off Steve.....these truly set a new sonic reference point for any Nat Cole Collector (and for anyone attempting future archival releases)...

hodgo, formu_la and dale 88 like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Thanks!

FJC1966 likes this.
  16. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Steve, what are the chances of you being able to do another Nat King Cole Release for Audio Fidelity? I'd love to see the album with George Shearing remixed and mastered by you.

17. Steve Hoffman

Last one didn't sell enough, sad to say.

18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Got all of the APO's + the AF. Love them all!

Peter Pyle likes this.
  19. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Me too. People probably don't know how amazing they sound. That is why they are still available.

Say It Right likes this.
  20. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Dislike! :(

21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Not to be too dismissive of what many consider to be classic albums, but in what world does it make sense that the first audiophile reissues of albums as great as these Nat King Cole titles don't sell enough while some other titles have multiple SACD, SHM-CD, gold cd, SHM-SACD, etc, etc reissues and apparently still sell enough for them to keep getting reissued? It makes me sad that Nat apparently doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

CBackley likes this.
  22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

His audience is shrinking, due to age, and death, and those remaining don't all see things the way audiophiles do ( better SQ / more expensive discs ).

RelayerNJ likes this.
  23. mongo

mongo Senior Member

After Midnight is stellar.
    Not a big Nat Cole fan but if you're going to buy just one, this is it, imo.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  24. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

That is very sad...so many albums that need some special treatment: The Magic of Christmas, Live at the Sands, Sings for Two in Love, Every Time I Feel The Spirit, The Touch of Your Lips, etc. I would love to petition the release of high def downloads of these records mastered by our host...no physical product to reduce overall manufacturing costs and yet the material is presented in it's best aural light. Yes, I would love all of Nat's albums receive the SACD/LP treatment but I would be happy with 24 bit files mastered carefully at the very least.

25. Steve Hoffman

Funny, one forum member bought it on my recommendation, couldn't stand it. I guess Nat Cole is an acquired taste?