Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I thought that's what a "flat" transfer was supposed to be...no EQ, no compression...just what's on the original master tape without any futzing.

2. Sox68

Sox68 Forum Resident

I agree, spinning this now, vinyl is really quiet! I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but the included download card is a sticker of the album cover - cool little extra!

The cover to the LP has a lttle wear at the top and bottom where the vinyl rests on the inside of the jacket....anyone else have this? Its almost like the 200 g vinyl is too thick for the jacket

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Ben Adams likes this.
  3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yeah, the sticker was sweet. Gave it an actual mid-'70s vibe.

Sox68 likes this.
  4. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

I guess that's why I bailed my sector sets a few years ago. Just waiting for the unfolding of another set of reissues. Been using my ITunes downloads to hold me off until the first reissue last year. Really pleased thus far as I await my next vinyl reissue of Fly By Night in a couple of days.

5. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

If this is true, then its total BS and once again makes it all that more difficult for anyone looking for quality and honesty in the hi rez digital mark place nearly impossible without detailed notes about the recordings during purchase.

Simon_LDT likes this.
  6. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

I'm really enjoying the new releases. Some comments and (maybe answers):

1) The Blu-Ray sounds just like the Sector hi-res download to me. Also, as another pointed out, the new extended chimes at the end of By-Tor are not present on the Blu-Ray. ...And it says right on the package that the mastering was done by Andy VanDette. It's 96 khz also, not 192.

2) The vinyl has to be one of the most quiet records I own.

3) The new hi-res download (I got mine from Pono) sounds like the same master as the vinyl to me. Full dynamics and great EQ. It may be too bassy for some though. It sounds better at higher volume than any of my other versions to me.

4) Both the vinyl and the hi-res download have a wider soundstage (at least compared to the Sector) and also the soundstage seems to be shifted to the left. Geddy's voice is not in the middle. What an odd thing to get wrong...

Kaelu likes this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The vinyl sounds great. Now this is how you do a quality pressing.

8. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I burnt out on Rush almost 20 years ago. However, for some reason, I've bought both of the 200 gram vinyl reissues. Both sound great and I've been playing Fly By Night daily since last Thursday.

jon9091 likes this.
  9. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I just tried to redeem the code inside of the Blu Ray and it took me to a blank screen, like they aren't ready for this title. Sent an email off to customer service. The voucher says "this coupon allows you o access all the tracks from this Blu Ray Disc as a digital download using the code below". So my guess is you do get the Hi Rez files, just not sure if it's the old mastering or the new one that was released today.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Which ones actually have immersive mixes taken from the multitracks?

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I just pre ordered both COS and 2112 for $23.99 at Amazon.

FBN is great!

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

12 solid months ? !

WOW

is the vinyl full analogue ?

13. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

Well looking and hearing the offerings from HDtracks, there are differences between the new Fly By Night and the Sectors version.
    The new version is available up to 24/192 and the sector version is only 96. However if you compare the sound samples
    the Sector version sounds brighter and slightly more up front, where as the new release sounds a bit more natural EQ wise.
    Also the Sector version appears to sound a little wider. So overall the new mastering does appear to be less futzed with.

I knew I should have waited because I had just bought the Sector 1 from HDtracks just prior to the announcement. Doh!
    Needless to say I'm tempted to buy the new version and do a side by side comaprison..hmmm

14. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Fly By Night is one of my all time favorite albums, I'm extremely disappointed in the reports about the blu-ray not being the newer more dynamic mastering. That suck's.

15. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

I did a second shootout with my Gilbert Kong white label promo and the new 2015 vinyl. I am focusing only on Anthem right now as I am waiting till my teenage son and I can sit and experience the whole lp together a couple of nights from now (HE is a lifelong fan having started requesting the "rocky shoreline" song (natural science) at the tender age of 3 on car rides...he'll be 17 in a couple of weeks). The Gilbert Kong pressing is louder and more present, so I believe it's a bit more compressed and limited, but in a very musical way. Also the tape was 40 years fresher. The 2015 vinyl is more dynamic. It's less in-your-face than the Kong but there are some interesting revelations. The kick drum actually pushes more air and you can hear the natural decay of the floor tom during the repeated eighth note stops when the right stick goes to the floor tom. There is a little more space between the drums, bass, and guitars. So at the expense of being a little quieter than the Kong, the 2015 is a little more open and dynamic. Tonally they are incredibly close. As I said in my previous post, the 2015 QRP vinyl is absolutely quiet and flat. The 2015 is most likely my go to copy. I can't wait for COS! Man it would be cool if the artwork was corrected for the reissue :)

24voltsdc, Hawklord, JakeM and 2 others like this.
  16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That would be Sean Magee at Abbey Road, who knows a lot about letting the analog master be itself, as witness the Beatles mono reissues. We're lucky he's doing the mastering on the vinyl reissues ... and possibly the new hi rez downloads.

driverdrummer and Plan9 like this.
  17. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Has anyone been able to redeem the Blu Ray code for the Hi Res downloads?

18. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

Waste of time as usual.

19. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Do it! :D

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yeah, that's what it is. I was just being redundant for the people who still don't understand what a flat transfer is. :)

Reading the latest reports, it seems the new Hi-Res might be the 2015 vinyl mastering?

rcsrich likes this.
  21. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Here's the DR from the BDA stereo mix. Pretty much confirms it's the Sector 1 mastering that everybody feared:

foobar2000 1.3.7 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2015-01-28 12:20:20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Rush / Flight By Night (2496 BDA)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR9 -0.05 dB -10.02 dB 4:27 01-Anthem
    DR10 -0.05 dB -10.81 dB 3:28 02-Best I Can
    DR9 -0.05 dB -10.34 dB 3:05 03-Beneath, Between, & Behind
    DR10 -0.05 dB -12.47 dB 8:40 04-By-Tor & The Snow Dog
    DR9 -0.05 dB -10.88 dB 3:21 05-Fly By Night
    DR10 -0.05 dB -12.27 dB 3:01 06-Making Memories
    DR14 -1.75 dB -21.37 dB 5:00 07-Rivendell
    DR11 -0.05 dB -14.16 dB 6:49 08-In The End

Number of tracks: 8
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2800 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

Simon_LDT likes this.
  22. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

The 24/96 hirez download from highresaudio.com:

log date: 2015-01-28 12:43:32

Analyzed: Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart / Fly By Night (HiRez)

DR12 -2.20 dB -15.59 dB 4:27 01-Anthem
    DR13 -2.95 dB -16.97 dB 3:29 02-Best I Can
    DR12 -2.65 dB -16.09 dB 3:05 03-Beneath, Between & Behind
    DR12 -2.72 dB -18.16 dB 9:32 04-By-Tor And The Snow Dog
    DR12 -3.04 dB -16.71 dB 3:23 05-Fly By Night
    DR13 -2.01 dB -17.88 dB 3:05 06-Making Memories
    DR13 -7.63 dB -26.32 dB 5:01 07-Rivendell
    DR12 -3.15 dB -18.86 dB 6:49 08-In The End

Official DR value: DR13

Bitrate: 3013 kbps
    ================================================================================

DiabloG and BGLeduc like this.
  23. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

I think past practice on HFPAs from UMe has been to make the d/l via the code mp3, unless this one is different. I've also seen in the past that the HFPA has been released awhile before the d/l was available, maybe keep checking...

24. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Here's the DR from the BDA of the 24/96 stereo. Confirms it's a different, more compressed remastering as suspected:

log date: 2015-01-28 12:20:20

Analyzed: Rush / Flight By Night (2496 BDA)

DR9 -0.05 dB -10.02 dB 4:27 01-Anthem
    DR10 -0.05 dB -10.81 dB 3:28 02-Best I Can
    DR9 -0.05 dB -10.34 dB 3:05 03-Beneath, Between, & Behind
    DR10 -0.05 dB -12.47 dB 8:40 04-By-Tor & The Snow Dog
    DR9 -0.05 dB -10.88 dB 3:21 05-Fly By Night
    DR10 -0.05 dB -12.27 dB 3:01 06-Making Memories
    DR14 -1.75 dB -21.37 dB 5:00 07-Rivendell
    DR11 -0.05 dB -14.16 dB 6:49 08-In The End

Official DR value: DR10

Bitrate: 2800 kbps

25. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

rcsrich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.