The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

"Lay down all thoughts, surrender to the Void,
    it is shining, it is shining..."

footlooseman likes this.
  2. US Blues

Thanks, I'll bust that out later and give it a listen.

3. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Yup, set 2 of 12/18/73 is just as terrific as set 1. The UJB encore is fantastic - just finishing that one now. Starting over the Eyes > Wharf > Sugar Magnolia pre-encore.

Is it Phil who sings the harmony behind Jerry on that number? I am guessing so because Bob's a better singer. (It's part of Phil's charm, though.) LOL

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I saw a couple of Charlotte shows, Summer tour 91, this video made me bust out the discs, listening to 6/11 now...what a great time this tour was. Phils bass is growling thru Bird Song as I type....

Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, NC (6/11/91)

Iko Iko
    Walkin' Blues
    Jack-A-Roe
    Mama Tried
    Mexicali Blues
    West L.A. Fadeaway
    Queen Jane Approximately
    Bird Song
    Promised Land

Victim or the Crime
    Eyes of the World
    Looks Like Rain
    Terrapin Station
    drums
    space
    Playin' Reprise
    The Wheel
    Throwin' Stones
    Not Fade Away

U.S. Blues

Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, NC (6/12/91)

Feel Like a Stranger
    Peggy-O
    C.C. Rider
    Althea
    Desolation Row
    Loose Lucy
    Hell in a Bucket
    Don't Ease Me In

Touch of Grey
    Saint of Circumstance
    Ship of Fools
    Man Smart/Woman Smarter
    drums
    space
    Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad
    All Along the Watchtower
    Morning Dew

Brokedown Palace

Scopitone likes this.
  5. Scopitone

I remember some talk the other day about this one, so I am playing it now.

Kezar Stadium, 1973-05-26

6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Prior to the proto Slipknot! jam I mentioned, the jam alternates between E Major and Eb minor and for the Slipknot! bit, it's over a Cdim7 and crashes back to E Major7 @ 10:58. Take a look at the notes that comprise a Cdim7 chord: C Eb Gb Bbb (or A). Now look at what comprises a B7 chord, which is the dominant chord of E Major: B D# F# A. D# and Eb are enharmonically equivalent (at least on a fretted instrument and/or when using equal temperament, but let's not go there), as are F# and Gb. So the Cdim7 is a chord substitution for the simple B7 dominant of the key that is resolved to: E Major. In fact, the Cdim7 is really a B7(b9) with the root (B) replaced by the b9 (C). B7(b9) more often resolves to E minor, but it works here in part because of the previous oscillation between E Major and Eb minor, which tricks the ear into hearing somewhat non-conventional resolutions as more logical that they might otherwise sound.

Jazz technique for sure, but it's really rock and roll when you listen to it.

DrLunchbox likes this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

now playing:

Devore Field (Southwestern U), Chula Vista, CA (9/15/85)

Alabama Getaway
    Promised Land
    West L.A. Fadeaway
    Mama Tried
    Big River
    Dupree's Diamond Blues
    Smokestack Lightnin'
    Deal

Scarlet Begonias
    Fire on the Mountain
    Samson and Delilah
    She Belongs to Me
    Truckin'
    Comes a Time
    Around and Around
    drums
    U.S. Blues
    Satisfaction
    Brokedown Palace

JRM and footlooseman like this.
  8. US Blues

That is a sweet jam for sure. I'm not as conversant with the musical theory being a conga player, but I could hear the different changes swirling around and then coming back to the E major. Beautiful stuff.

It is more into jazz than most bands will go, yet it is only rock & roll- but I like it!

Scopitone and Archtop like this.
  9. Scopitone

The guitar on "Bobby McGee" 5/19/74 (Portland, OR) is gorgeous.

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Just started my Dick's Picks play through in order of release.
    DP1 never jumped out at me before. That was a poor assessment.
    Here Comes Sunshine!!

11. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Pure Jerry 1. Still one of the best JGB releases ever.

12. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

This is an old favorite tape....Great show!

mgb70 and fishcane like this.
  13. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Dozin' at the Knick

Matthew Tate and DrLunchbox like this.
  14. JRM

I was at that one...odd second set. When Around and Around started it almost seemed like it was going to be a second set without Drums > Space, but it finally happened only to go into > US Blues? And then > Satisfaction? It was a WTF moment (even if people didn't say WTF back then).

fishcane likes this.
  15. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

For context, they try the very same thing on 10/19/73 from 9:21 - 9:53 and at best, it's a train wreck. Thus is the very nature of improvisational music. Personally, I'd rather take the chance and fail 7 times and produce something unheard of 3 times, but most bands don't even entertain that concept. Not only did the Dead entertain it, they embraced it. At least from '68-'74. It was far more rare after that.

US Blues likes this.
  16. US Blues

Dick's Picks 28- deep into the Omaha, NE Dark Star from 2.26.73.

17. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Also in 1973, although in the fall... "Weather Report Suite" from 11-10-73.

Looking forward to the PITB > UJB > Dew > UJB > PITB that follows.

brew ziggins likes this.
  18. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Watching/listening to The Grateful Deads 1981 Rockpalast performance. And of course The Who is on this as well. Always crack a smile when Pete Townshend joins the Dead on stage. Interesting watch/listen.

ruben lopez likes this.
  19. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Jerry Garcia Band - Live (1991)

Criminally out of print, this 2 CD set is a personal desert island pick. Cover art by long time JGB bassist John Kahn.

Sentimentally, I remember buying it at the music store (where I also worked) at the Schine Student Center at Syracuse University my sophomore year. This is the period when I became a stone cold Deadhead, seeing my first JGB show at MSG on 11/15/91 (and my first Dead show at MSG on 9/8/91) and becoming an insatiable tape trader/collector/listener. In those days, high quality, low gen JGB soundboards were rare, but I remember being hooked up with low gen audience tapes from that stellar Fall Tour of '91. This release was a revelation.

Recorded during the Spring Tour and August of 1990 at the Warfield in San Francisco, and with some studio fixes, this is pinnacle late career Jerry Band for me. Stellar, highly emotive versions of Simple Twist of Fate, I Shall Be Released, Dear Prudence, and Deal are disc 1 highlights. Disc 2 is just as tight with killer versions of Senor (Tales of Yankee Power), The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, and Tangled Up in Blue. The highlight for me is the spacy 17+ minute Don't Let Go. IMO, there is not a bum note on this entire collection.

If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend seeking it out, and if you have it, I recommend spinning it again and rejoicing in the Church of Jerry.

[​IMG]
    • The Way You Do The Things You Do (William Robinson Jr / Robert Rogers)
    • Waiting For A Miracle (Bruce Cockburn)
    • Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob Dylan)
    • Get Out Of My Life (Allen Toussaint)
    • My Sisters And Brothers (Charles Johnson)
    • I Shall Be Released (Bob Dylan)
    • Dear Prudence (John Lennon / Paul McCartney)
    • Deal (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
    • Stop That Train (Peter Tosh)
    • Senor (Tales Of Yankee Power) (Bob Dylan)
    • Evangeline (David Hidalgo / Louis Perez)
    • The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (J.W. Robertson)
    • Don't Let Go (Jesse Stone)
    • That Lucky Old Sun (Haven Gillespie / Beasley Smith)
    • Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan)

20. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Yeah - I remember getting the cassette form Christmas or B-day when it was released - found it on cd about 5 years ago, pretty cheap $5-$8 range. It's definitely a great set - sadly I never did see JGB live - it just seemed every time the rolled through Chicago, i wasn't in town (I was at school at the time).

21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

This album was in constant rotation for years. I was just getting into the Dead before it was released and decided against seeing JGB. This album made me sorely regret that decision. I blame my friends for not insisting.
    The cascading/echoing guitar runs during Simple Twist is some of my favorite music. I hear those in my head frequently.

mgb70 likes this.
  22. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Just listened to this to see what it sounded like. I'm no musician, but yeah - that's not good. Ah, well, nobody's perfect.

23. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

This afternoon, I've transitioned to the Grateful Dead from Hollywood Palladium on 8/6/71. Incendiary performance by the "core five". I was blown away by seeing the Grateful Dead and JGB for the first time starting in the Fall of 1991. For the people lucky enough to be of the age to have seen the band perform in their prime, this stuff is life changing.

I'm listening to Rob Bertrando's crisp, superb audience recording here:

[​IMG]

24. JRM

[​IMG]

The +2 version of this disc has two added live tracks from January 28, 1972 in Providence. One of the bonus cuts is the 13-minute "Sweet Cocaine," the strongest track on the album IMO.

The Jerry Garcia Band might have looked very different had it not been for the relationships formed around the Wales gigs:

"He [John Kahn] and I have been playing together since - we started working together for Howard Wales at a little club in San Francisco called the Matrix on Monday nights, right around '68, '69, somewhere around there. When the Grateful Dead isn't working, I like to keep playing.

So they used to have this Monday night jam session, but Howard gradually sort of took it over. Howard's this amazing organ player - difficult person, but wonderful musician. And for some reason he liked our playing, John and mine. We didn't know each other, John and I. In fact we played with Howard for almost a year before we even actually started talking to each other. Really. We would just show up, plug in, and play. About half the set I'd be whispering to John, I'd be saying, 'Hey, man, what key are we in?' Howard didn't have tunings or anything, he just played. Sometimes he would do these things that were so outside that you just couldn't - unless you knew where it was going, you had no idea where to start. Sometimes they'd turn out to be just these things like four-bar blues turnarounds, relatively simple musical things, but they were so extended the way he'd play them - 'God, what is this?

Anyway, I learned a lot - both of us learned a lot about staying awake and listening to what's going on, playing with Howard. It was a real experience. We played with him for a couple of years, and then Howard went off and kinda - periodically he gets this thing of where he just can't deal with the music world any more, and he just disappears. So we were there, stuck there, and we were supposed to play Monday night, and we didn't have a player. John said, 'Well, I just did some sessions with this guy Merl Saunders.'" [JG]

25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Digital or not, I dream of spinning this one on a turntable some day....

mgb70 likes this.