Nilsson boxed set coming? (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luftwaffle

luftwaffle Forum Resident

I haven't trolled through this whole thread, but do we know if there's anyplace to buy lossless files of this stuff? I'd prefer to pick and choose which of the albums I want (nor do I currently have the money for the physical box, anyway). I've been unsuccessful at finding them, but if anyone else knows...

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

A year and a half later and I'm still playing this incessantly. A box set for the ages, and one that sets the gold standard for how this kind of collection should be done. Tonight it's SANDMAN!

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I find myself returning to it much more than other box sets. What a great bunch of tunes!

4. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I played three discs today. Maybe my favorite box set.

She is anyway likes this.
  5. bluej

bluej Senior Member

This box is set to arrive in my mailbox today (a birthday present from my wife, possibly including Flash Harry as well). The only album of his I've ever owned is Nilsson Schmilsson, which I liked but didn't love... But then I got that awesome 2-disc Essential Nilsson set and thought it was fantastic. Really looking forward to listening to as much as I can this week before classes start back up. Might re-watch the documentary today while I wait!

-Simon (bluej's son)

6. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I finally got this set. Being a die-hard Harry Nilsson fan, I had all the studio albums, and (or so I thought) most of the bonus tracks.
    The Sessions discs are a revelation.
    I now find myself wondering what the heck took me so long. Non-stop listening to Harry since.

7. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

There is so much material on this set that I'm still not done listening. I keep listening & re-listening to some of my new favourites.
    Duit On Mon Dei, Sandman & That's The Way It Is have never sounded better!
    These really leave the Camden CDs from the 2000s in the dust.
    It's like I'm hearing these albums for the first time.

Back to listening to Nilsson...

8. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Finally my income and availablity at an affordable price came together and I got this second hand for $50. I've been a fan since hearing Herb Alpert's cover of Without Her in 1969 and eventually finding a mono Pandemonium for thirty nine cents in 1970. I haven't been bowled over with such treasures since the Sly Stone box. Started with Pandemonium,jumping to the mono first,then the stereo.Next-the Sessions 1967-1968 disc and what amazing finds there. I love demos,sometimes more than the finished versions,and this doesn't disappoint. Biggest problem is that this forum is the only place to jump and down about the box since I know absolutely no one to talk about Nilsson outside of a few folk who feel Without You(which I can't listen to anymore)or Everybody's Talkin' are about all the Nilsson they need. This is the kind of set where I stop listening to everything else till I've consumed the contents fully.

9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I think I will bite the bullet and buy this set just from reading people's comments about it. I only really know his two big singles but given that this can be bought for a great price......

She is anyway and Yorick like this.
  10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I bought this set knowing very little of Nilsson's music.
    Though I'm only a third of the way through it I already feel it was a worthwhile investment.
    Each album I've played so far has revealed at least 2 or 3 jewels.
    And the sound is good so it's a win/win

11. Reader

Reader Senior Member

If you have even a bit of interest in Nilsson you need this box set. It's been out a while now and I have no clue about the number released etc. but these do go out of print. This thing will go for big money one of these days. Many of us will have our copies but new fans will want it and it'll be gone. For my taste one of the top 10 box sets ever released. Nilsson was unique. This set will never be bettered. Just a thought.

Remember.....

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I'm making my way through this after buying it last year. Previously, I only heard Nilsson Schmilsson and The Point. No two albums are the same.

13. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Now spinning Harry and,while I remember this not only in stores first time around,it hung around our college radio station from the first day I joined. Why did I ignore this? 'Cause I couldn't think of a better version of Mr. Bojangles existed besides Jerry Jeff Walker or David Bromberg?
    Stopped everything and listened carefully to Mournin' Glory Story and remembered a sad,homeless woman who habitated this city since I first arrived in 1973. Her thrift store outfits were complete with fox furs in the summer,1950s hat and mismatched shoes while asking for bus fare for a bus she never stepped foot in. There was so much information about this woman there was a front page story years ago about her life. She was still very much alive when the story was published as were the kids,by then grown, she had abandoned when mental illness washed over. Turns out when I first saw her in 1973,she had already been a fixture of the city for more than ten years. For years she slept in the doorway of the building I lived in. We tenants purposely kept the door unlocked till the landlord forced locking it for fear of a lawsuit. Yesterday's newspapers placed on the steps so she could relieve herself while sleeping. The "7:30"reference was poignant as this was the time I would usually see her starting her day while I went to get my kids off to school. She often panhandled for a cup of coffee as well as a ride to the convienence store for that cup and cursing you the next day if you didn't offer the money and trip again. She passed in 2004. Mournin' Glory Story indeed.
    As for the rest of the album,there isn't a false note,including the bonus tracks. Only Fozzie Bear & Scooter from the Muppets did a better Simon Smith & His Amazing Dancing Bear. Harry's next album,Nilsson Sings Newman,was famously awarded 1970 Album of the Year by Stereo Review but Harry is an equal contender for content and execution.​

14. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

soundQman and George C. like this.
  15. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Yorick likes this.
  16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Wow is that true? Guess I'll have to play my copy tonight...been a while.

Yorick likes this.
  17. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Does anybody know if Harry really re-recorded his vocals for Pussycats?

18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I know very little about Harry, but after sampling a few songs on Spotify, I think I'm going to order this set. Now I just have to be patient and hunt for the best deal.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

It's great, but the price has skyrocketed.
    Well worth the search.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I noticed that LOL, I tried all my usual places to get a deal and no such luck. I'm hoping Amazon will come down, as they've been all over the place with their pricing. I will be nabbing this though, and my patience will only stretch for so long. I want to be digesting this material, and getting to know his music.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Popeye stuff is coming as well. Not my cup of tea, but many here long for it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I just can't get enough of 'Pretty Soon There'll Be Nothing Left For Everybody' off the 'Sandman' album... Really love that song!

dvakman, timnor, Tord and 1 other person like this.
  23. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Please elaborate!

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

A friend asked me yesterday, why the volume of the box set is so low. At first I thought: because the dynamics are perfectly intact and there is absolutely no limiting.
    Which is in fact true and great.
    But anyway: I found out that the album "Harry" peaks at - 1.7 dB, and this should be considered as a (small) mastering flaw. I'm sure that the mastering was done digitally - and before calculating it down from HiRes to 16 bit, it should have been normalized to -0.1 dB, or something like that.
    Not a big issue for me, but it is wasted resolution.

25. joejoe

joejoe Forum Resident

Hep Alien and Dark Horse 77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.