Analogue Productions 45RPM Verve Titles Announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yerian, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Nothing new has been announced. AP did four sets of Fantasy 25-title reissues years ago. That included numerous records from Riverside, Pablo and Contemporary.

musictappy likes this.
  2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

OK--I had been wondering the same thing--previous posts made it sound like there had been new series announcements.

musictappy likes this.
  3. musictappy

musictappy Forum Resident

Got it, Thanks! I was a subscriber for those four sets, there is some tasty stuff in there but definitely more available from those labels that could use the audiophile treatment.

4. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I could be wrong about that. I do know that OJCs are a great alternative to originals and oop APs and are a tiny fraction of the cost. I love the OJC of Contemporary Leaders for one.

5. Josquin des Prez

However, I wasn't talking about the OJCs when I made my comments about quality. I have some 'black on yellow' label Contemporaries. My copy of "Way Out West" is just amazing, and better than the AP 33 that was done some years ago. The OJCs are just so-so.

6. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I realize that, and just offering other options. I'm not sure what OJCs you've heard, but the ones I've heard are better than so-so. Most are all analog pressings from the original master tapes as I'm sure you know from reading Steve's comments and other comments in this forum over the years. I'm sure a NM original Contemporary Leaders is great, but it cannot be had for $5-$10 like the OJC. But this is off topic. Let's focus on these solid AP Verves :)

7. Josquin des Prez

I have quite a few OJCs from the 80s. They are OK and I listen to them, but not on par with the "audiophile" remasters under discussion.

The black-on-yellow label Contemporaries I have are the two Sonny Rollins titles, Ornette Coleman "Something Else!!!" and Harold Land, "The Fox." The sound on these is amazing, especially the Rollins titles.

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I want to apologize for a mistake in my earlier review of "Soulville" on the previous page. I said the bass was bloated on the MM 33 rpm reissue of Idle Moments, I've heard a first pressing stereo copy since writing that and the bass on the two is very similar. It was a bit bass light on the previous CD I've been used to hearing. So it seems like the MM is faithful to the tapes, which isn't surprising.

Back on topic, I'm still really liking that 45 rpm Soulville reissue and it's now a go to "comfort" album that has been in heavy rotation since. I've heard an original mono pressing at a friend's, while we didn't do any comparison, I easily prefer the sound on the 45.

9. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Just to clarify when I was referring to the forthcoming Riverside, Contemporary and Pablo series, the info came from the "Acoustic Sounds Office Tour With Chad Kassem" available on youtube from Nov 2014 at around 17:16

In it Chad refers to forthcoming 25 Riversides, 25 Contemporary titles and 20 Pablos.

musictappy likes this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

If they do more Pablo, Riverside, and Contemporary, I'd rather they do them as 33 RPM. The RCA Living Stereo and Prestige Monos have been great so afar.

struttincool likes this.
  11. musictappy

musictappy Forum Resident

Thank you Jellis, I had not seen that video before this. It looks like my wallet is not going to let me retire yet!

12. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. Soulville is one of the standouts. With the 45rpm, he is in the room.

hvbias likes this.
  13. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I'm another big fan of the AP Soulville LP.

14. blue

blue Mastering rules

Received the 45RPM AP of Peterson/West side Story today.

Steve's DCC reissue still slightly rules because of the better touch for more life and tonal colors mid to top. The 45RPM also sounds great and especially dynamic but has slightly dryer cymbal sound

15. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Haven't heard Steve's but I love the ap.

16. blue

blue Mastering rules

Not to say the AP is any bad, it's fantastic and in some terms better due to the 45RPM. But treble again has little more shine and color on Steve's. Kevin Gray on the new Music Matters LP's has another fantasic approach in this regard.

17. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Do you like we get requests? I'm basically sold on all of chad's ap 45s.

18. blue

blue Mastering rules

Yes, much more, it's the best one musically and also sonically great!
    I also like Bill Evans Empathy a lot.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  19. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Has anyone compared speakers corner body and soul with the AP? I'll probably windup with the AP, but the album is quite short, which makes me wonder how much of an upgrade the 45 will be. Thanks!

20. Josquin des Prez

Don't have the Speakers Corner, but I have the entire Verve 45 series and they are all amazingly good. I have Body and Soul on a Japanese issue and that isn't even close.

theron d and RelayerNJ like this.
  21. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Thanks JDP!

22. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I haven't had the opportunity to hear that particular album on AP 45rpm or the Speakers Corner 33rpm, but I have many Verve LP's from both reissue labels and this is my general opinion about how they compare:

Speakers Corner Verve LP's are really excellent and many of them are cut by Kevin Gray in the USA. If you go with the SC, I'm sure you'll get a great sounding LP with high quality pressing.

But... the AP Verve Series cut by George Marino is, in my opinion, the ultimate series, it just blows me away every time. Not that SC LP's are not great, they are, but these AP 45's are really at the top of the game.

James_S888, jgrillo and RelayerNJ like this.
  23. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Thanks Sergio. I can't argue with any of the AP Verves either. I finally added Getz/Gilberto witht e memorial day sale and simply love it. I guess I'll go with the Billie AP...it's just such a short album for 45!

SergioRZ likes this.
  24. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Being in the UK the price of an SC is less than half that of an AP 45 so I have a fair few of them and IMO they are superb. I have "Lady Sings The Blues" and "Solitude" on SC and both are excellent.

SergioRZ and RelayerNJ like this.
  25. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Agreed. The AP Verve Series cut by George Marino is the best it gets. He got the best out of the tapes, mastered them brilliantly and got them sounding great in every way.

the SACDs though he did using a 48/24 converter... You win some, you lose some.
    Take your greatness where you can get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.