Paul Feig's 'Ghostbusters' Reboot

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Roger Meadows, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger Meadows

Roger Meadows Active Member Thread Starter

Today, the writer/director hit Twitter and revealed his quartet of leads: Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy, along with "Saturday Night Live" stars Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. The Wrap notes that are all in negotiations to join the film, which presumably means that the rumored spring shoot is not out of the question, and that McCarthy — who was a question mark due to her tremendously busy schedule — will be able to fit this one into her calendar.
    “We’re not recreating the old movie, but we want to do just enough fun nods that the fans will go, ‘Oh, okay, they’re acknowledging that the other movie existed,'” Feig recently told Empire about his approach. “I like to watch parodies, but I don’t want to do them because they’re too referential. Comedy that’s too referential has such a short shelf life, whereas comedy that’s based around characters will be relatable 2000 years from now because people won’t change that much.” -The Playlist http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ie-jones-to-lead-ghostbusters-reboot-20150127

2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I think this will be a big DUD ! would have been smarter to have the kids of the original ghostbusters trying to save their fathers who are in another dimension like the ghostbusters game from a few years ago! this new one just sounds lame. oh rebooting Indy Jones is trust not smart at all!

3. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Or better yet, just leave well enough alone and let folks watch GHOSTBUSTERS (1984).

goodiesguy, fr in sc, jh901 and 10 others like this.
  4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Why????

I've also heard they are rebooting Indiana Jones.

{sigh}

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I worry that Melissa McCarthy will take over the entire movie. She is kind of a bulldozer in that aspect where she doesn't give the rest of the cast room. She did fine in Bridesmaids but that was Wiig's thing. It seems like she is the leader in this reboot as she has been wanting to be cast in it for a while.

I do like the rest of the cast. I hope it is funny.

PS- Hollywood has been rebooting old movies for the past 100 years. If it is going to make profit then why not?

6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Ugh! More crap from the Hollywood film business.

Pericles and aarsonbet like this.
  7. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

8. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Yep. If you're anywhere near Philly, next Friday night (Feb. 6) International House will be showing both films (in 35mm) in a double feature: http://ihousephilly.org/calendar/ghostbusters-double-feature

aarsonbet likes this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Rashida Jones > Kate McKinnon

Heck, Annie Mumolo (crazy lady on the plane in Bridesmaids) would be a great addition - probably better than McCarthy in the same role. But I'm sure they want McCarthy's name attached. Unfortunately, having to pay McCarthy makes the budget an issue and so they go for lesser knowns for the other 2.

10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Good cast, all very likeable actresses IMO.

Brother_Rael, stereoptic and somnar like this.
  11. I think this is going to stink on ice - as far as I can see it's not a concept that plays to the strengths of anyone involved. Well, maybe Melissa McCarthy, but still. Anyway, who knows, maybe it'll be off the wall enough to work. I'm not placing any bets, though!

12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The device hasn't been invented that can measure my indifference to this reboot.

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I really liked Bridesmaids so this could be very funny.

14. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't think the producers or studio are worried too much about offending uber-fans of the original film. If remakes/reboots drew enough ire from hardcore fans that they bombed, they wouldn't keep doing them. The titles that do bomb usually have more to do with the film itself just super-stinking than backlash from oldschool hardcore fans of the original.

They want the immediate name recognition the title affords them, and that's about it.

I'm not a huge fan of the original films, I enjoy them though. But I do think any cast (and production team for that matter) would have a difficult time getting the slightly off-kilter mix of action, nerdy sci-fi, and odd sense of humor that the original film has.

The remake/reboot/sequel thing is getting so bad that maybe it would actually be better to speed up the quantity even more, and maybe that way they'll eventually run out of things to reboot. Oh yeah, but then they just re-re-boot. :laugh:

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, well. What's in a name?

16. tcj

tcj Senior Member

If they can manage to capture the humor and tone of Bridesmaids, this is going to be a heck of a lot of fun. Way too early to be digging the grave for this one.

driverdrummer likes this.
  17. Mark Nelson

Because the original GHOSTBUSTERS never caught on or is remembered today due to its distinct lack of anyone sh***ing in a sink.

My take on remakes and reboots (what you call a remake when you want to sound like you're not doing a dumb old remake, but that's exactly what you're doing) is that while they're a quick cash grab
    upon initial theatrical and video release (if they're lucky), they have no long-term staying power, with only a handful of exceptions out of the hundreds that have been done. I'd think that the long-term earning
    power of repeated video and licensing deals for something original would outweigh the single cash dump of something that comes out, generally disappoints, and nobody ever wants to see again. For me,
    the greatest effect any remake has is that it usually results in a new/better edition of the original on home video. If not for Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES, we'd not likely have gotten good DVD editions of
    the original film series, TV series, and cartoon, at least not all at once.

I think I'd find this new GHOSTBUSTERS a bit less of a lame notion if it was somehow a sequel (the ladies bought the business from the original guys, or are the third/fourth owners), rather than a remake that sprinkles
    references to the old film here and there that take us out of the reality/story we're supposed to be watching.

Anyway, grumble grumble grumble...

Dudley Morris likes this.
  18. Mark Nelson

Actually, the more I think about it, I'd give this new film tremendous respect if it was actually a BRIDESMAIDS sequel, where somehow those characters became GHOSTBUSTERS.

Then it wouldn't seem like it was trying to ape the earlier Feig film so much as expand upon it in a way nobody would expect.

19. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I'm keeping an skeptically open mind. I'd rather have it this way then them attempt a movie without Ramis and Murray.

20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I hope this is the tone for the film.

21. It will be a hit. It could be pretty funny. And most of you haters will still watch it, even if to just come back and say, "I told you so!"

:p

22. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I'll take that bet.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  23. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Let me take a wild guess - Melissa McCarthy will play the fat, loud and obnoxious Ghostbuster.

24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yup.

CrazyCatz and fitzysbuna like this.
  25. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Movies aimed primarily at female audiences have been cleaning up for the past few years. This movie will do phenomenal business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.