Any red flags being raised here?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by action pact, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

I just sold on eBay an item for $178 to a fellow in Thailand. He has plenty of positive transactions, so it appears that he's on the level.

I received the following message:

I will make payment shorty, but let me have some advice from you regarding some matters.
    Could you please declare on package as used turntable cartridge with value 30-50?
    Are you able to send the item to my friend address, also in Thailand?

I assume he's trying to avoid tariffs, but if something goes wrong, I won't be able to put in an insurance claim for the full value, right? (Is postal insurance even available on international shipments?)

I just want to make sure I don't get burned... What do you think?

2. action pact

I've decided to not lower the declared cost on the customs forms - I'll get burned if the package is lost in transit or something.

As for shipping to a different address, I'm gonna call eBay tomorrow and get their take on that. I don't want to do anything that may open me up to liability.

John Buchanan and Dave like this.
  3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Asking you to declare a lower value is the first red flag.
    Asking you to send to a friend is the second red flag.

Darryl

Dave likes this.
  4. action pact

You're right...

I just found this on Paypal's page:

To be eligible for Seller Protection, you'll need to meet each of the following requirements:
    1. You must send the item to the shipping address on the Transaction Details page.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you even need to ask the question regarding #2, you're a sucker in waiting on eBay.

Only ship to PayPal /eBay verified addresses Period.

The whole thing sounds shoddy to me.

Personally, I would not include Thailand as a country I ship to for anything I was not willing to take a total loss on, but that's my view based on bad experience.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  6. action pact

I'm not feeling too secure about it either... I wonder what my obligations are here.

Not Taiwan... Thailand.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah I have to agree with the others here. I'd avoid this guy. Never ship to any address not verified on Paypal. I'd avoid lower customs declarations as well if you're going to insure the package.

The buyer might have plenty of positive transactions but it doesn't mean the account hasn't been hijacked.

action pact likes this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What is your opinion on shipping to Mexico? Since I ship to the country so rarely, I don't think too much about it. I just got an email from a buyer mentioning item not yet received.

9. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I've been selling on eBay since 1998. Because of excessive delivery issues over the years, I no longer ship anything south of the Rio Grande anymore!

10. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I don't think that there's some strange conspiracy in the works over a $178 item. I'd just ship it and relax...

11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

When a buyer asks a seller to break the law, I would cancel their order in a heartbeat. No buyer should ever willingly put a seller in that position, just as a seller should not compromise the integrity of their buyers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.