Gotham-Batman Prequel Series on Fox, Fall 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I'm not disagreeing nor being sarcastic. What be done to up it to an R rating that wouldn't involve sex or violence? Add in explicit drug use?

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, you could have those elements, but the difference is the execution. If you threw those elements in gratuitously simply for the sake of shock and titillation, then it would be a total waste. But if they were accompanied by deserving storylines that had a point to make beyond the superficial, then it would heighten the narrative. As always, context is important.

3. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

So how long do you think Fish will be out of the show?

Ouch, I thought we were friends!

This has got to be my favourite role of hers.

musicalbeds likes this.
  4. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

She won't be gone long....we'll get Butch updates for a show or two, and then I can see Fish returning by the season's end. Just guessing of course.

5. The less we have of Bruce Wayne, the better this show gets.

Paul J likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree. As much as I've seen everything, even I wince at some of the stuff they get away with on Gotham. This is a very dark, downbeat, ultra-violent show for American network television. I was initially very skeptical about the show, but damned if it hasn't hooked me in.

BTW, I think I've said this before, but this is one of the best-photographed, most heavily-stylized shows on TV at the moment. It's an extreme look, but I've bought into it... though I bust out laughing every time I see the fake CG "city skyline" they use as bridge shots.

7. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I like the juxtaposition of smart phones and rotary phones - depending on the scene (among other anachronisms). It's like Gotham is in a dimension where 50's and 2000+ technology exits simultaneously. I'm not trying to be sarcastic either.

musicalbeds likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is so F'in' wacky: 1970s cars, rotary-dial telephones, a 1940s/1950s film noir look with smoke and dark shadows everywhere, 4x3 standard-def tube TV sets, but they're using early-1990s flip cell phones. Wacky. It's almost Brazil with cell phones. They should be paying royalties to Terry Gilliam (who's a twisted genius).

I laugh and let it go, but I agree, it's wacky and bizarre, but they kind of shrug it off and don't go out of their way to show it. It's just there. The guy playing James Gordon is so straightlaced, somehow he makes everything feel normal. That was a helluva climax in this week's episode, where Gordon realizes he's on the verge of becoming just as brutal and out-of-bounds as the crooked cops on the force.

woody and xdawg like this.
  9. Archer does similar things with technology juxtapositions.

musicalbeds and xdawg like this.
  10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

No, then it would be Game of Thrones. ;)

John K.

11. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I like this too. In that sense it is very much like the original Batman movie.

xdawg likes this.
  12. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Yep, it was a terrific ending, imo, showing us the line Jim is walking by dealing with someone like the Penguin, where he is justifying the means with the end.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Funny I feel completely the opposite.

14. Hannible is 10 x more violent and gruesome. That's on network.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Gave up on that one. Too downbeat and depressing for me. The Following was the same, only that one was also real stupid. And I'm a huge fan of author Thomas Harris' work.

I like the kid as Bruce Wayne, too, and I think the opportunity of showing his path towards becoming Batman could be interesting. Though I still wanna know how he got the nuclear reactor built in the basement of Wayne Manor...

Coricama and Mazzy like this.
  16. I'm still all in on Hannibal. Wow. The end of season two was so intense. Quite the cliffhanger. And so beautiful

Larry Mc likes this.
  17. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I have been enjoying gotham ! more of a cop show but it is still fun to watch!

18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Unfortunately, Master Bruce is the weakest link at this point. Luckily, we all know he turns out a lot tougher than he looks now.

Shawn likes this.
  19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

He's a billionaire! I'm sure Warren Buffet has one in all his homes.

20. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Well, he's not the weakest link, really - that title goes to Barbara Gordon. Thankfully, we haven't seen much of her recently.

As for Bruce, I think his scene last week with Alfred after Selina cut him loose shows the beginning of that toughening. Alfred's "tough love" treatment got him to stop crying, and replace it with grim determination. I liked that scene a lot.

musicalbeds, Vidiot and Coricama like this.
  21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Hannibal is the best written, acted, scored and filmed show on TV, network or otherwise. I didn't want to like it, I gave up on it after three episodes or so, but went back to it and realized its genius.

It makes Gotham look like a comic book. Hey, wait a minute. . . ;)

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Total agree.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And his voice gets lower with much more bass once he puts on the bat-suit.

Coricama likes this.
  24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

And puberty.

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Is it unconvincing CG, unconvincing miniature work, or a combination of both? You be the judge, dear viewers. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.