Just ordered my first ever LP from Discogs - Wish me Luck!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by adamdube, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was listed as NM/NM promo - amazing rare super clean!

2. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Good luck ... like all used record buying it can be hit or miss.

3. I don't buy a lot from Discogs, but I've had good experiences due to effective communications with the seller. And I think that's key.
    I always ask for pictures of the product (both disc and jacket). I also ask if they can play-grade it if they haven't already.

Good luck for your purchase!

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I've had good luck buying from them.

5. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was going to go that route but the seller had great feedback - plus the last time I did that the seller called me too finicky and said he could tell I would claim it was not as advertised and to decided not to sell to me. It was too much work to play grade IIRC. Oh well., hoping for a good start to 2015!

6. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

The counter-argument is that it is pretty much impossible to accurately grade a record without playing it. The grading system is mostly about how the record sounds, not how it looks. That seller did you a favour – I can pretty much guarantee it was over-graded.

johnny q likes this.
  7. One could turn that argument around by saying that the seller is hiding something, especially if that's his reason to you. However, and in fairness, maybe he had some personal experience with a previous buyer.

I personally don't expect a detailed play-grade, although that's nice to get. I just want some basics. How would you rate the noise level? Are there any skips/bumps? Is it warped?

8. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

I also ordered an LP from Discogs. My first time. The Seller has excellent feedback and will refund LP and shipping costs if I'm not happy. And they play-graded the LP.

Good luck to adamdube and me.

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

That pretty much proves that the method works :) You more than likely didn't want to deal with this guy anyway if he was reluctant to put his money where his mouth is so to speak and back up what he was offering for sale.

Good luck with the Discogs purchase - keep us posted!

10. Rhythmdoctor

Rhythmdoctor Well-Known Member

I recently purchased my 1st and then 2nd record from discogs 2 weeks ago. Both sellers had 99%+ rating with enough transactions, so I was comfortable with it. Everything worked out fine. I received both in a reasonable amount of time too.

11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`ve had no problem at all buying cds from Discogs.I recently bought some really nice vinyl also.

12. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Discogs is my preferred method for buying records online... actually it's getting close to being preferable to B&M shopping thanks to the resurgence in vinyl making all of my favorite stores into zoos. I've got 300+ transactions on Discogs over 5 years and had maybe 1 instance where something was not what it was supposed to be. Check feedback carefully and you'll be good.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I just listed 35 LPs there. I started selling five years ago there and got no action, yet the titles listed were also listed at Amazon where they blew out like wildfire.

So I'd come to the conclusion that Amazon was a better market. Now I have decided to try again and see if discogs has improved. From y'all's comments it sounds like it's come a ways from the deadsville I experienced.

I have some modern classical stuff that is minty, vintage, and does sell but it takes months to get any action. I decided I need both Amazon and Discogs for the ones that have place cards at each site, and my own Ecrater store for the ones that are not at either. I don't want to create listings from scratch at either site, but for my own store is a decent investment of time doing so.

14. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

My first Discogs purchase just arrived. It was listed as Mint vinyl and cover. I received a sealed LP, Mint vinyl and cover. The seller responded promptly to my questions with clear information.

Great experience!

Jeff Edwards likes this.
  15. I bought 8 records on Discogs and sold 1 fairly expensive one. Good experiences all round.

16. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

No one here has ever bought a record or CD from Discogs (or from eBay for that matter). Neither site sells records, although they do sell advertising to people who sell records. If I sold records on Discogs (which I don't) I'd hate to have anyone badmouth the whole site because some loser sold them a lousy record. Similarly, that someone who advertised on Discogs sold you a good record doesn't mean the next guy won't hose you.

17. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I've been selling on Discogs for several years now, and must say in general it's a step above anywhere else to buy and sell.

The percentage of buyer issues there is far, far lower than what we routinely saw on Ebay or GEMM. That said, there are many new/recent sellers on Discogs and it's starting to become quite saturated in some categories.

18. GoodnightRose

GoodnightRose New Member

I buy and sell on Discogs. I rarely have issues doing either within the U.S. although I sometimes struggle with international claims and individuals not wanting to pay the customs fees required in their country. Other than that, I have never had a customer contact me unsatisfied with the grade I gave the record or the shipping. I always list a detailed description of the record as a whole. I cover the sound quality and play-test as well as the condition of the cover, inner sleeve, and label. As long as you stick with a seller who is detailed and has good feedback, you will have a good experience.

19. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Are you allowed to post your Discogs username here ?

20. GoodnightRose

GoodnightRose New Member

I don't see an issue with that.
    DTSVinyl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.