Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I haven't seen any complaints about Sean Magee's remastering. All the vinyl fans are ecstatic with it.

2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

HMV Canada is selling the vinyl 29.99$ and the BluRay 27.99$ for anyone interested. I was just in a store in Montreal.

3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Is it maybe the channel imbalance mentioned by @saundr00? I haven't noticed it, but then I haven't listened to it with headphones yet either....

4. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Any comparison between the new vinyl and original vinyl as opposed to the digital versions?

5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I think I've seen that it compares favorably- maybe a little more definition & a tad more bottom end than the original...

6. Derek Blakley

Derek Blakley Forum Resident

Thanks for all the info, guys..

Pretty tragic that they couldn't get the new hi-res master onto the BR audio; maybe after the negative feedback they'll straighten it out for the future AFTK & Signals BR discs?

Regardless.. the new FBN is now on my HDTracks wishlist awaiting the next 20% off coupon they send out.

Frans and rcsrich like this.
  7. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Just remember that Pono, Prostudiomasters and Acoustic Sounds also have this title...sometimes these sites have coupons too. I only say this to spread some of the sales around AND these other sites offer features that HD tracks doesn't (reviews, feedback, social threads and studio mastering notes). The HiRez site that allows for customer reviews, social threads and mastering notes will eventually be the only place I will shop in the future..but that site doesn't exist yet.

Derek Blakley and Frans like this.
  8. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I got the vinyl today, but I'm p***ed because my Rush-hating brother threw it across the room when I showed it to him. The cover art now has a big tear. I paid $30 for it and it's not even in mint condition after being out of the package for only 2 minutes :realmad:. Whatever. I'll listen to it later and compare it with my other FBN CD's and maybe even the GK vinyl.

rcsrich likes this.
  9. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

Hello,

Yes I did a couple of shootouts and wrote about them in two previous posts. I have a Gilbert Kong mastered white label promo. The Kong master is a bit louder and more compressed. The Sean Magee 2015 vinyl is a little more open and dynamic. The two lps are very similar tonally. I would say the Kong is a little rounder and mushier and the Magee 2015 is a little more defined. I should also add that I've only compared Anthem. My kiddo is a huge Rush fan and I'm waiting until he and I can experience the new vinyl together tomorrow night to hear the rest of the reissue. But that being said, I think this new version is superb. The vinyl is as quiet as can be. Beautifully done!

10. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Kick his ass.

11. Gangrel

Gangrel Well-Known Member

Seems to be moot for me anyway as it appears this is a "US only" release....... unless I can procure it through other means.

Gotta love rules!

12. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I'm not usually an advocate for violence, but it sounds like someone needs to throw your brother across the room! Jeez...

13. asat

asat Member

Does anyone know if the highresaudio.com previews are actually high res? I would like to compare them first to the versions I have before I buy.

14. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

You - Snow Dog! him - Bytor!

15. DiabloG

But that would make him the good guy if we were talking about Caress of Steel instead :laugh:

16. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I think I would have ended my brother had he done that....just sayin ;)

johnny q likes this.
  17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Your brother owes you $30 and you should collect.

18. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

The channel imbalance is very, very subtle IMO; otherwise I find the new version extremely gratifying.

rcsrich likes this.
  19. dammci

dammci Forum Resident

It was available on Qobuz from the UK this morning!

20. DiabloG

I listened to the vinyl and I can say that it's the best FBN I've ever heard in any format. Deep lows, nice mids, and clear highs are all coming into play here. I compared it to the GK pressing immediately afterword, and that version has a very strong lower-midrange that makes it sound a little too heavy vs the reissue. Keep in mind that I used an Audio Technica AT-LP60 for playback, so I can't imagine how much better the new one will sound on a better turntable. While it's nice that you get a voucher for a free m4a needledrop of the album, it really bothers me that the pitch is just a tad lower than normal (just listen and you'll notice right away). I'm guessing that this is due to the TT used to make the ND.

rcsrich and c-eling like this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

They should of had been @Ben Adams at the needledrop helm :), no reason the pitch should be off, sounds like a winner on these presses :)

Ben Adams likes this.
  22. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I would immediately go in and rub my nuts all over his drum kit!

23. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

So speaking as a cheapskate, I can't help but notice that with today's HDTracks 20% off coupon, I could get the complete Sector 1 set in 24/96 for $28 which would barely cover two of these new releases. Is the new FBN release (and presumably the releases to come) that much better than the Sectors? Also I heard the Sector box sets had several manufacturing errors, I presume the HDTracks versions are at least free of those?

24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Ha! Thanks! I immediately noticed the pitch was off on their needledrop too. But as you guessed, I made my own. ;)

c-eling likes this.
  25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I will step up and also say this is the best I've ever heard FBN sound on vinyl. If they keep up this quality ... watch out! As for the albums where the tapes are in bad condition, possibly they may use 1st gen safety masters? If done with this care, they may still rival originals. MoFi has worked wonders with safety masters for their silver line vinyl reissues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.