Simple tweaks to optimize Klipsch Heresys

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

If these things take so much effort to get good sound, why bother? Why not just buy something that sounds good?

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

It's fun to try and make something work or sound better, especially if you can make improvements for little to no cost. Finding a pair of vintage speakers of any sort will most likely require recapping the crossover (cheap electrolytics usually show up in older speakers, and they're frequently dried up or have leaked), cleaning or replacing pots - simple things that can produce a nice improvement in quality. Adding Mortite or rope caulk material to metal horns is an inexpensive way to dampen them if they ring. Rewiring with a heavier gauge wire can also benefit a lot of older speakers. If you don't like what you hear, you can always move them on if they're working properly.

kevintomb likes this.
  3. MonkeyMan

Okay, makes sense. So, it's more about the process than the destination perhaps? For me personally, I just don't get excited about trying to improve performance in HiFi. I'll leave that to the designers. I just want to press play and space out.

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Yep... :righton:
    I've resurrected a pair of Dynakit MK IV tube amps, rebuilt a number of different speakers - another of my hobbies is repairing/rebuilding old Lionel and American Flyer trains and getting them to operate correctly. It's extremely satisfying to take a toy that hasn't run in 50 years, tear it apart, replace worn or missing pieces, and see it come back to life. I've repaired trains for original owners who've teared up when they've seen a beloved piece of their childhood chug around a loop of track. Sometimes you stumble across some vintage gear for free, or dirt cheap at a yard sale or thrift shop, and it takes a few dollars, some research time, and elbow grease to clean it up and make them work.

5. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

It's about both process and outcome.

The modified Heresy is never going to be a world class high fidelity speaker, but it can be a lot better than it is with a little inexpensive work, and it will provide the beginning audio hobbyist with a lot of satisfaction. He will probably pass them on or relegate them to a secondary function in time, just as someone wanting to get into vintage motorcycles might start with a Royal Enfield and move on to a Vincent.

Simply buying something will never provide the satisfaction that a successful hands on project will.

I dragged home an old two wheel lawn tractor a couple of weeks ago. I could have just bought a new cheap riding tractor at Sears and made payments, but I am spending my nights dismantling and cleaning a 55 year old chunk of cast iron because I enjoy the process and because I will wind up with a piece of machinery that will probably outlive me. The new Sears lawn tractor would die in a few years and cost more to fix than a new one.

Soundgarden, mtgray and jeffrey walsh like this.
  6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I am an owner of the ol' Klipsch Legends (KLF 20's). I too have read of these tweaks, which also included changing the crossovers. But, I just couldn't put that "clay" on mine, so I tried some poly fiber fill stuff, and it worked! Just another option. These speakers are so addictive, just can't seem to bring myself to upgrade, anyway-good post!

7. Skush

Skush Active Member

My Heresy are the "1.5" like yours: plastic mid horn. I did the Crites x-over mods and replaced the diaphragms in the mids. A significant change for the better all around.

8. MonkeyMan

Makes sense. It wouldn't work for me, though. I am an absolute idiot. I am also extremely lazy. These are not traits that ought to be paired together in one human.

Slick Willie likes this.
  9. Hi Folks, I'm new to this forum and I hope for questions and comments from the neighborhood here...

I have in my collection an old pair of Klipsch Heresy (original model) speakers (for many decades now) and I felt my comments might add something to this discussion. My pair of Heresy speakers are a consecutively numbered set and are completely original in every way, never (yet) modified or repaired. To consider that these basic speakers have now been in continuous manufacture since the mid 1050s is extraordinary enough all by itself to put these into any 'Hall of Fame' grouping since the advent of 'Hi-Fi'. The modifications made by versions II and III are nothing more than minor tweaks.

I understand the weak bass issue these speakers suffer from (by design?) since they were intended originally as voice support for the large bass heavy corner mounted Klipsch speakers, they were never intended to be full range instruments. Still that they have withstood the test of time and are still being sold and purchased today indicates a very strong following for this particular speaker.

I used them in several surround sounds systems, they perform nicely as front Rigth & Left speakers when set to 'small' size ( limited bass). My Bass for the last 10 years in all my systems has been handled by a Radian 215 bass guitar stage speaker paired with a Crown CE2000 amp, I decoupled the two 8ohm transducers in the Radian (originally a 4ohm speaker) and now each cone is powered by its own separate power source, about 400 watts at the 8ohm load. That is how to do Bass!

So now to give my Heresy speakers bass if that is desired I combine the Heresy and the Radian 215 as a three speaker group, that is an almost perfect balance! The draw back to doing this requires some plug swaps and a preamp with two sets of outputs, one set for the Heresy's and another for the Radian 215 in a 2.1 configuration, I have several preamps that do this well. I also adjust the Crown amp down by about 75% to balance it with the Heresy speakers. I've only done this a few times usually for new records or demonstrations, it's worth the extra work.

I also use my Heresy's as the stereo speakers powered by (please don't hate me for this) my Yaqin MC-100B tube amp - this has been a very delightful combination for a few years now with the bass being slightly more pronounced in the Heresy speakers, this I think has something to do with the tube amp output using the 8ohm output terminals. This is the minimum combination that produces the most enjoyment!

Right now they are attached to a highly modified Phase Linear 400 Series 2 amp with all the 'White Oak Audio' upgrades, the Heresy's are ok so long as the output volume is kept low (no more than 8:00 on the two volume pots), anything more is risking the integrity of these fine old speakers. Since I have so much time listening to these two speakers in other combinations I wanted to see how my new PL400S2 sounded after the modifications were finished. This combination plays very nicely but still deep bass is not presented as well as with the tube amp, but over all the sound is splendid when powered by the recently modded PL400S2. Incidentally I am now rebuilding a second Phase Linear 400 series 2 with the 'White Oak Audio upgrades' - I like it that much!

So I have played with these Heresy speakers now in many configurations and for the most part I find them to be extremely fine for long listening periods (over three hours none stop) with any good source material from LPs or SACDs, they still work with lesser material but the sound quality is reduced by the lesser materials weakness. They have worked alone and in other speaker combinations as well, I do not think these will ever be seen on eBay!

Just for the record my musical taste includes a very diverse collection including Classical, Country, POP, Rock'n Roll, Blues and Jazz to name a few. I collect vinyl LP records including the Direct to Disc and 45rpm 12" LPs, SACD, DVD audio, as well as music concerts on DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray. I have been an avid hobbyist since 1972 starting with LPs and 4 track tape, Dynaco ST400, Pat-5 preamp (from kit) and speakers I designed and made myself. My first phono cartridge was a SHURE v15 Type III, all three of my current turntables still have that same cartridge in them.

Cheers,

shirleyujest and james like this.
  10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Klipsch hater:shake:

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

Why would anyone hate you for that? :)

12. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Paul Klipsch specifically stated that he wanted nothing in the Heresy box that was not "Pure Capacitance"

In other words, NOTHING

It is by design

Analogman

13. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

The center channel application network (Type C) was changed out years ago

The Type E is the way to go for STEREO

Beauty of Klipsch is that all you have to do to convert a Type C to a Type E is change one cap and move some autoformer connections

Any Heresy identified as an H700 model should definitely be checked for this (network type)

You can make the conversion, if needed, for about $10 bucks, even less is you are cheap!

The Klipsch Heresy is a fine speaker

Analogman

14. dadbar

dadbar Forum Resident

I enjoy my Heresies (version 1). The best tweak with these is definitely a subwoofer. Without it they are a bit shallow. I use mine with a low power SET (2A3).

15. action pact

Mo, I didn't know you had Heresies.

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

These are great speakers and can be generally obtained at a reasonable price. I think they sound their best when you push them moderately hard. I used them for a system I put together for a friend because they fit his taste much more than mine. He is a "louder is better" kind of guy and I felt these would be harder for him to damage with volume.

They a bit like a monster truck. Not a daily driver for me but really fun to take for a spin if you're in the mood.

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've always liked Klipsch and think Heresys are cool looking, even if I've never heard them.

But I was absolutely amazed when I heard people feel they lack bass. I wasn't aware it was physically possible to make a speaker cabinet that large and put 12" woofers in it and get weak bass!

18. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

HAHA. It came from experience. I'm a former KG4.2, '76 Cornwall, '88 LaScala & '80 Klipschorn owner. I have nothing against Klipsch. They're great if you primarily listen to jazz, classical, acoustic type music played back on tubes on vinyl at low volumes. If you like rock genre and louder volumes in general you can do a lot better is all.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think the Heresys were made for listening to AC/DC. and if anyone has problems with their bass, just turn up the volume.

The Pinhead likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Even Steve Hoffman chimed in to state how kerrapy my Synergy F2s are. I LOVE loud rock and could not dream of better sound and low distortion.

21. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Trust me, you can do much better. :agree:

22. dadbar

dadbar Forum Resident

I have them out in the man shack up in Gloucester. Come on up sometime for some Kayaking and listening when the weather turns a little warmer. Bring the fam. We have a guest shack.

23. action pact

Yeah? That sure sounds like a ball! Thanks!

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Other things to note. Our original poster's suggestions also apply equally to all Klipsch Heritage and Extended Heritage line speakers. Which also means, Klipschorn, LaScala, and LaScala II, Heresy, Heresy II, Heresy III, Cornwall, Cornwall II, Cornwall III, Chorus and Chorus II, Forte and Forte II. Also, there is one other thing I can recommend to add to this. The Crites titanium tweeter elements on most models as well. Which are a very worthwhile upgrade. Also, Klipsch is not just for tube amp owners either. SS lovers can also get great sound as well. My own Chorus sounds great on my McIntosh MA 51oo and on my Sansui 4000. Low damping factor SS is very nice with Klipsch.

25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Just turn up the bass.

betweentheears likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.