Under $2k bookshelf speakers for classic rock lover

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RalphNYC, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm getting my Linn LP12/Ekos/Arkiv back into shape after years in storage, and am using my BWS tube preamp and amp (clean and neutral sounding) and need a pair of smaller, likely 2-way, speakers. The speakers will be about 5 or 6 feet apart and about 10 feet from my listening position. I plan to put them on an existing credenza, probably can't use stands due to space/spouse constraints.

I listen to mostly classic rock: Steve Miller, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Neil Young, Bowie, etc.

I plan to buy second hand online, and am looking to keep it under $2k. I won't play at loud volumes, and I like a smooth high end, really don't like a "bright" sound.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. RalphNYC

Those are beautiful I'll check them out. I should clarify I don't have the 13 watt single ended amps, I've got his 40 watt push-pull design.

4. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

They ain't small, the ain't 2 way, but they sure can rock- JBL L 100 Century

Mike Novak, billh and papatwo like this.
  5. kamcma

kamcma New Member

For similar requirements, I came pretty close to buying Zu Audio speakers. Ended up coming across a good used deal on something else that was too good to pass up and I'm quite happy, but if it hadn't appeared, I would've gone Zu.

6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I LOVE my System Audio Aura10's, but they are almost impossible to find in the US with only 4 dealers.

One I've heard that was awesome as well is the DynAudio Excite 14.

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Tekton Mini Lore Monitors, perhaps (I'm going with the assumption of low-powered amp...)

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  8. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

OK ... we're all wondering - what did you get ???!!!

Ash76 likes this.
  9. kamcma

kamcma New Member

Hah sorry didn't mean it to be a cliffhanger. Dynaudio Focus 160s, used but mint, in the color I wanted, walnut. I love them but would consider them a bit more up-the-middle audiophile, whereas Zus, by reputation at least, are less strictly accurate and a touch sweeter with classic rock, jazz, etc.

BayouTiger, Rick58 and bhazen like this.
  10. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Aren't ProAc's supposed to pack a punch for their size? Maybe something from Totem? Not sure how efficient these models are though.

11. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Rockier and livelier :

[​IMG]

McLover likes this.
  13. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Better plan on adding a sub for full enjoyment.

gd0 and PROG U.K. like this.
  14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think you made the right choice. My favorite system among my audiophile buddies features Dynaudio speakers. Some friends have far more expensive and larger speakers, but I find the midrange of those Dynaudios very accurate and non-fatiguing. They really do disappear fed the right signal.

15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

cool, but I'm afraid these would be too 'sizzly' for the OP (and maybe too 'cheap', he said up to $2000/pair). I'm actually looking at this range for upgrades to my center/surround/back speakers in my (separate, family room) surround setup. Would drive them with a Denon or Marantz AVR or preamp (or something else known for smooth sound).

16. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Check out the PSB Imagine B, the Sonus Faber Venere, the KEF LS50 and the Nola Boxer. My personal picks for rock in that group would be the PSB and the Nola, but all are well-reviewed and competently designed.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  17. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

P3ESR...

steveharris likes this.
  18. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Good speaker, but not really for Classic Rock.

smctigue likes this.
  19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

[​IMG]

The Palladium bookshelfs. U$ 2000.

stricee likes this.
  20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Read the reviews, some say these are a tad bass light. I was looking at a pair myself but went for Pioneer's S71-B instead. Probably closer to the sound you're looking for too.

21. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I'd argue that ;)

22. I had a pair of these with orange grills that I bought new in around 74 I loved them and wish I still had them. Great for rock and roll crip but bass heavy. My neighbor downstairs hated them. :tiphat:

They were stolen when my apartment was robbed in 1985.

23. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Sonus Faber Cremona Monitors can easily be had for under $2000. I can attest to how fantastic they sound. Their build quality and appearance can't be topped. We're upgrading from them to Olympica 3s.

Gettyman and Baron Von Talbot like this.
  24. RalphNYC

I've got a lot to chew on and research here. Someone mentioned ProAc and I saw that Abs Sound rates their Tablette Anniversary very highly.

Now where is the sound clip library with all speakers sorted by price played through the same system and same recording??

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  25. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

You really should look up the Ascend Sierra 2 bookshelf -These sell for right around 1,500 for the pair. Custom Raal tweeter and new mid woofer created by Seas from Norway just for this project. Alexsandar from Raal even posted over at Ascend to chime in on the two years of development work he and Dave put in on them. Mine arrive this weekend and from the research I have done I expect them to be spectacular.

dislocatedday, bdfin and gd0 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.