Badfinger...anyone listening lately?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RoryStorm, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Why hasn't this band received the box set treatment?!?

2. They never got the recognition they deserved as the writers of the song Without You, which was big hit for both Harry Nilsson and later on for Mariah Carey.

I believe two of the main band members (Pete Ham & Tom Evans) both committed suicide. These were the two members that wrote Without You.

JonnyKidd and longdist01 like this.
  3. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Dennis has become one of my favorites as of late. Sad thing is it kind of brings me down hearing Pete sing those lyrics, terrible loss. Take away blue... What a tunesmith, made the band IMO.

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The ballads from Ass are great:

Apple of My Eye
    Icicles
    When I Say
    I Can Love You

5. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I like the Ass album a lot. Certainly not as commercial as Straight Up and more of a rock album. I understand why Apple pulled "Apple of My Eye" as the single, but i think "When I Say" would have made a better single. Love Joe's work on the album, though "Constitution" took me a while--a little too 'heavy' for my normal tastes. And "Timeless" is a beauty.

JonnyKidd, tages and jacethecrowl like this.
  6. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Always loved Badfinger - what a treat that final scene of Breaking Bad was-

SPOILER ALERT- don't watch this if you want to see the show in order...
    ...the single best show ever on TV next to Star Trek...and from a dramatic/artistic sense, the best show ever on TV.

7. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

It was a tragedy....

JonnyKidd likes this.
  8. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Was just playing this the other day - first time in a loooong time too. Still great.
    [​IMG]

9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

An underrated gem :)

JonnyKidd, longdist01 and jricc like this.
  10. Chris De Burgh covered Without You as well a few years back, but when he covered it he was keen on letting people know about the song's roots, and therefore went into detail about how and why that song was written when interviewed and at his concerts. After performing it once in concert a woman approached him after the show to say that Without You was written about her. She was Tom Evans' ex-wife. This would've been around 2008/09.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Played Straight Up last weekend...DCC disc...love it.

12. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I have always loved Badfinger.
    Ass was never one of my faves (love Apple of My Eye), but it has more recently been the disc I pull when I wanna hear some Badfinger. Straight Up is still my fave.
    I've also been digging Airwaves.

JonnyKidd and longdist01 like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I agree..I think it's their weakest, by far, of their Apple albums for the exact reason you give.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  14. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

This thread made me dig out my CD of the Head First album. I remember thinking the first track reminded me a LOT of what Fleetwood Mac would turn into when Buckingham and Nicks joined. Almost sounds like a Christine McVie song of the period. Coulda been a hit!

JonnyKidd, mrjinks, RoryStorm and 2 others like this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Given how much attention Apple records and now Universal owning the Masters for Apples artists, I still cannot understand the issues with "Without You" accolades, "Breaking Bad" using Baby Blue for Finale and yet nothing...from Apple on a definitive Boxset treatment by now!

I would think Universal would be in the stages of moving Badfinger up a notch besides the ICON " Timeless: The Legacy of Badfinger" hits CD. If Ringo has a Boxset for his Induction to R&RHF this year, then maybe somewhere down the line Badfinger could get some interest.

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Apple should re-issue the catalogue on LP mastered by the same team responsible for The Beatles' mono set.

17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Yes they should!

JonnyKidd and jeffrey walsh like this.
  18. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

I've owned all the originals on vinyl since college. I got into them initially through a friend and through Dan Matovina's excellent article in the May 1979 issue of Trouser Press. (Matovina, of course, went on to write their biography, Without You).

Unlike a lot of music I listened to as a teenager, I found their music resonates more and more with me as the years go by, especially Pete Ham's songs. Beyond the hits he wrote, some of his album cuts are not only melodically compelling but get into a place lyrically few other writers go. I'm thinking of "Name of the Game," "Perfection," "Dennis," and "We're for the Dark. I don't know how to describe this stuff: philosophical? Political-meets-personal?

Also, a few years ago, Matovina unearthed a 1969 demo of a Ham song co-sung by Tom Evans that I think is as good if not better than anything on the albums:

19. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I've got their first 3 and Wish You Were Here, Been playing them a lot after watching Breaking Bad

JonnyKidd likes this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Peter Ham - Midnight Caller:

JonnyKidd and jeffrey walsh like this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I don't like Azz, yes I know they were a rocking crew but I never understood why Pete wanted to rock out (Steve Miller cover??!) instead of having a longer quiet section.
    I play their cds a lot, and Pete's two embellished demo cds. They've really stood the test of time, I think. Pete was a great songwriter, Joey not so much. But I will give him credit he was a good guitar player.
    BTW, for those of you 'out there' looking, a really high quality live tape just surfaced from the Straight Up tour...........

JonnyKidd and D.B. like this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Joey has lawyers. He has zero affection for Pete's family since the book came out. Let's leave it at that before this thread gets blown away like some others did.

JonnyKidd and Tony Sclafani like this.
  23. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

All the time, and for many, many years!:cool:

24. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

No Dice and Straight Up are some of the best DCC's I own and I play them often.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Steve Miller cover??

Why would Joey block/be able to block a box set, but not the reissues with unreleased material?

They were both great when released, but Straight Up has mostly been surpassed by the 2010 remaster.

Hayden Love, longdist01 and mpayan like this.