My Costco Pioneer Elite SC-35 AV Receiver

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by maxwelledison1, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxwelledison1

maxwelledison1 Senior Member Thread Starter

Just crashed. After less than 5 hours of use the power clicked off and the IPod light started flashing signifying, according to the manual, a SERIOUS problem. Just started the return process with "it broke" email. Back to square one. Please keep those deals notices coming. I need a replacement!

2. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

If you have your Costco recipt..take it back & get your cash.
    I have had this model since June with no problems at all..besides screwing up some settings & having to reset the unit, it sounds amazing. What did you do to it? The unit seems foolproof. I do not have or use the IPod setting, nor the satellite radio settings.

3. maxwelledison1

I just turned it on and it clicked off after 5 seconds and then the IPod light started flashing. Odd that on page 122 of the owners manual the exact problem is shown under Power in troubleshooting section. I am one sick puppy. I have been checking other sites and they are all sold out in anything near the Costco price range. I just unplugged everything on the unit and it clicked off again.

4. maxwelledison1

Found this posted by Username2012 on 10/2/11 at AVSforum.com:

"I was listening to my SC-37 and then suddenly it turned off. When I tried to power up again it shut down after a few seconds and the ipod/iphone light blinks.

I have rewired the whole set up without any change to the problem.
    I have reset the memory to factory defaults without any change to the problem".

I thought it was strange Pioneer had a specific entry in the Users manual about this problem.

5. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Sorry about that. You have my sympathy. I know it' not just the money as much as the time invested in obtaining, hooking up, removing and returning the defective unit. And people wonder why custom system integrators charge so much?

When I bough my SC-25 display demo back in the spring, I was eyeballing the Yamaha RX-A1000 (MSRP $1,100). Plenty of inputs, a phono stage, and Yamaha's YPAO room correction. The amplfier section might not be as exotic or beefy as the Pioneer Elite, but if you are using bass management to send low frequencies to a powered subwoofer, the drop in power won't be noticed. Check the specs page of the review below.

Yamaha's factory direct store has them new in the box for $700 shipped. I did NOT confirm the sales tax issue.
    http://www.yamahashoponline.com/pro...+RX-A1000&trk_src_ss=YAMGBASEWEBMACSS|SEO|GB|

Home Theater Magazine Review Dated September 2011
    http://www.hometheater.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a1000-av-receiver

Please keep us posted on how it all plays out.

6. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Call Pioneer support and see what they say. You have a warranty, it might be fixable.

7. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

It came from Costco - get a replacement...

8. maxwelledison1

Costco sold out. Waiting on UPS to pick up defective unit. Costco customer service was quick to respond and everything smooth, so far. Replaced the Pioneer with a Yamaha RX-A2000. Thanks to the forum members for replacement suggestions. Great to have an excellent fall back position.

9. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Good luck with getting a new one , that's a real bummer , was there any "smell" from the unit at all ?
    when my last Denon crapped out it just shut down like that , the Transformer had blown & of course about a week after the 2 year warrnty was up ...
    Cool the company is working with you & hope you have a working one soon :righton:

10. maxwelledison1

No smell I could detect. I'm still amazed that the exact problem I encountered appeared verbatim in the troubleshooting section of the user's manual. Seems a problem that specific would have been addressed BEFORE the unit was placed on the market.

11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Maxwelledison1, how is your Yamaha rePlacement working out?

My friend Gene got his $800 RX-A2000 up and running yesterday. The quick report is very good. YPAO did it's thing. The GUI is slick and made bi-amping his floor standing Mirage bi-poles sing. The bad news is the 65" Panasonic VT30 was damaged and DOA out of the box with a cracked screen. The VT30 was purchased direct from Panasonic on a corporate perks plan and Panasonic says the set is now on backorder. As I said before, stuff happens.

At my house we screened our first Blu-Ray title, Limitless. 1080p and lossless audio rock.

12. maxwelledison1

The Yamaha is sitting in the UPS sorting center in Hodgkins, IL. and oddly enough so is the Pioneer Elite. Costco authorized the refund as soon as UPS picked up the defective Pioneer. Very happy with Costco. I hope to receive the Yamaha by Wednesday. Already called Yamaha and requested a users manual and it is supposed to be shipped next week. From what I have read, the Yamaha setup can be a complex endeavor.

13. TeacFan

My SC-35 ain't exactly plug & play, either.

14. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Did you know that you can register at the Yamaha website and download the 170ish page PDF of the manual for free. I printed and bound a copy for Gene at work.

Happy reading.

15. tedbt1

tedbt1 New Member

maxwell, Did you ever hear back from pioneer on what the cause of your sc-35 was or did you just move on to the Yamaha? Mine sc-35 is doing the same thing you described here and it is off warranty .

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wow.... Hot deal. Thanks for posting this.

In for two.

Gene Parmesan likes this.
  17. maxwelledison1

Never heard from Pioneer. Ordered the Yamaha and it is a jewel. I did purchase a Pioneer SC-1523 during the period Amazon was practically giving them away and it clicked off within days of it arriving. Amazon replaced it and so far so good. The 1523 makes my subwoofer shake the floor. Sorry to hear about the problem with your 35. I sure hated to send that monster back to Costco.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  18. TeacFan

I am getting a bit jittery now that this thread has come back to life. Still have never had any malfunction with my unit. Thought I had a bad HDMI socket, but turned out the cord had a short in it. I am running 5.1, much to the consternation of the neighbors. Ran a "B" speaker stereo line upstairs to the bed room so I have sound all over the place. Purchased the add-on radio frequency remote that is really handy. I understand Pioneer was none too happy with Costco selling this unit. I wonder if it was "gray market obtained" on Costco's part? Am a bit concerned that this SC line keeps getting discontinued & replaced with newer models. I did not purchase mine through Costco, did not even see it on sale there, but through a B&M dealer in Santa Ana for $800 cash.

19. Costco likely did source it outside approved Pioneer distribution channels. This was supposed to be a nice unit intended for high-end clientele, not to be sold in bulk at a warehouse club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.