The "Before" Trilogy (...Sunrise, ...Sunset, ...Midnight) coming to Criterion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

...according to Ethan Hawke.

One of the greatest trilogies of all-time getting respect on Blu-Ray in 2015. Finally.

PhantomStranger and wave like this.
  2. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

He's talking about it at 2:03 >>>

Bowie Fett likes this.
  3. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

My wife and I loved the first one, like the 2nd one a lot, and couldn't get through the 3rd one. Maybe we should give it another try.

For those that have seen 'em all, is the 3rd as good in your eyes?

Monosterio and Bowie Fett like this.
  4. Bowie Fett

I loved and hated the third film when I saw it in theaters. I wasn't prepared for its tone and storyline. Now, I've grown to love it. The first two are happier films. LOVE this trilogy.

mikeyt, tedkul and Aggie87 like this.
  5. wave

wave Forum Resident

I almost gave up on the third one (borrowed it from the library) halfway through. The characters were beginning to annoy me and the dialogue seemed too self-aware. But I'm glad I kept watching -- the conclusion made it worthwhile.

Aggie87 likes this.
  6. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Nope, the third one really made me dislike Celine.

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Nice to get upgrades and probably commentary tracks on Sunrise/Sunset, but what could Criterion really add to the Midnight Blu-ray?

8. I liked the 3rd one. It was definitely different (primarily with there being additional characters/actors) -- but I found it to be equally engaging/interesting.

Somehow neither my wife, nor I -- had EVER seen any of the prior films in this series -- so when the promo-machine got up to speed right before #3 debuted, we watched #1 and #2 on successive weekends, and caught #3 the very next (3rd) weekend -- so we saw all of them over three weeks (all for the very first time).

Needless to say we were TOTALLY bummed that we would then have to (probably) wait nine (9!) more years for #4 (assuming the series goes on, and at the same rate of production).

I get why people who love #1 & #2 didn't care as much for #3 -- but I found them all refreshing, and original.

IronWaffle likes this.
  9. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Great news, this Criterion 2015 teaser hint more or less confirms it.

[​IMG]

10. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

I don't know what Criterion could really add to this, i can't see Richard giving extra scenes or anything, even interviews from Julie & Ethan, i don't know how much they would add honestly.

As far as the series goes, i was a big fan of the movie the first time i saw it in the theater. My friend and i were fans of Linklater's Dazed & Confused and were director groupies and saw Before Sunrise the day it came out and ended up following as it went down the movies house chains: Megaplex, 2 screeners, $1 cinemas. And loved the second maybe even more.

As for the third, and i remember two things very sharply about that day i first caught it. 1-i was the ONLY PERSON in the theatre!!! 2-I ABSOLUTELY DETESTED what had become of two of my favorite characters. It's stripped of all the whimsy and chance encounters of the others, i really was angry when i walked out of there. But thankfully a couple of weeks later after reading nothing but the glowing reviews it got i grabbed the DVD & gave it another chance & i just really think it's perfect. It's real, we just managed to catch all the good times in the other ones before is all, this is part of life too. Were they gonna meet up again after 9 more years in some city and bemoan again that evening so long ago...that's way to lame.

If i were first going into them now, i'd hope someone would tell me to view it all as sort of documentary, not a love story.

Rooster_Ties, mikeyt and Bowie Fett like this.
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They would add quality high-definition presentations of the first two movies, which I don't believe are available on Blu-ray (and I don't know if Before Sunrise has ever been upgraded from its original DVD release way back, which looks pretty shoddy today.)

12. Bowie Fett

Well said...

13. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Wow, this is really exciting. I absolutely love and adore this trilogy, and always hoped that Criterion would give it the treatment at some point.

About the third film, I wasn't expecting it to be what it was either. But I loved it and I think it complements the first two perfectly. Idealized ideas of love only lasts for so long.

Rooster_Ties and Bowie Fett like this.
  14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Before Sunrise is one of my favorite movies of the '90s if not all time. The sequel is not quite as good though the ending is a killer. (Celine: Maybe...you are...gonna miss that plane...Jesse: I know...)

The third is more problematic for a couple of reasons. First, it takes a scathing look at a troubled relationship nearly 10 years down the road. That in itself is not much fun to watch.

The second, bigger problem is that I didn't buy the idea that Jesse and Celine would still be talking that much after so many years. Their conversations in the first two-thirds of the movie sounded like those of friends catching up rather than a couple on the rocks.

So, what was fresh and natural in the first movie felt contrived by the time of the third. Thankfully, though, all has been set right between Linklater and me after the glorious experience that is Boyhood. :)

15. Squealy

It was surprisingly painful to see them fighting in Before Midnight. Although I thought you saw enough evidence of their still being deeply connected to each other in the rest of the movie that I didn't think it was over between them.
    There is something of an explanation/excuse for this in the movie -- when they're walking to the hotel (where they've been sent by their friends for a night away from the kids) one of them comments that this is the first chance they've had to talk like they used to in years.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Dudley Morris likes this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Can't see the picture in the thread, but it does appear on my screen when preparing a reply. Any guesses on the other upcoming movies?

17. Monosterio

I understand all that, but it just seemed like Linklater, Delpy and Hawke felt obligated to follow the formula (not really the word I want there) of the first two movies rather than going in a different direction. It just felt contrived to me, rather than natural like in the first movie.

Maybe I'll revisit it again at some point and see if I feel differently about it.

18. Squealy

The verbal back and forth between them is so central, though, that it's hard to imagine a third installment that didn't focus on that. I quickly became impatient with the dinner party section of the movie, which did break from the formula.

If he hadn't just done this concept, Linklater could shoot a film that followed them through nine years one year at a time. Or if he really wanted to throw people, do one where they don't have any scenes together until the end!

19. Monosterio

Honestly, I'd prefer to see Linklater move on to new ideas. I don't want to see what Delpy's breasts might look like in another 9 years. :D

20. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Oops, maybe this is better

[​IMG]

Bowie Fett likes this.
  21. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Totally understand with the folks who really were thrown by the third, and hey, i'm not exactly an expert on relationships or marriages or anything, but i don't think i know any couple that has been together for 20+ years and didn't have a pretty nasty fight, specially if one/both of them cheated around on the other (i mean, that was probably their only real chance to go full tilt without the kids and everything around. Better have that happen in some hotel room than at home i'd think!). It's a twisted expression of passion, cause if they're fighting, that means they still care. REAL not caring...that's a whole other, very non-talkative movie, believe me!

and the good thing, is that they were making a sort of peace with the other at the end. No quick kissie-kissie tie-a-bow on it makeups, but those last few moments seaside, kinda like they got it all out of themselves, just so the other one knew. And hey, IF there is another one, goodness, they won't be together if they're still going at each other like in that one!!!

Also, tho' it is a long movie and subtitled, if you haven't seen Scenes From A Marriage before, check that one out. Richard or Ethan namechecked it afterwards in some interview and i was shocked that i hadn't made that connection before. It's painful as hell sometimes, but ultimately really great. I should pull that one out come to think of it, been awhile.

22. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

The other connection to Scenes From a Marriage is that there was a sequel Saraband where they are many years older and wiser.

IronWaffle likes this.
  23. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Wow, Saraband...i'd forgotten all about that one...man, thanks for reminding me...

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved the first one, liked the second one and didn't care for the third one as much as the other two.

Monosterio likes this.
  25. Monosterio

These movies are a reflection of real life: The older the characters get, the less fun they are -- and have. :D

This is why I'm glad Linklater followed Midnight with a movie like Boyhood.

IronWaffle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.