Badfinger...anyone listening lately?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RoryStorm, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I've heard the remaster, better source but not as good mastering IMO.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

To each their own. I prefer the source and (for the most part) the mastering as well.

Carserguev and Tom34772 like this.
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Apple passed on a rough copy of Kansas City concert, even though a radio station had it still after many years. Hopefully more stuff materialize.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

They used to do My Dark Hour.

He can make arguments about royalties and who played on what. If he would get amount of cash that he felt would be equivalent, then he might go for it. But any attempts to load the box with his songs would get rejected by the Ham section and similarly, any attempt to have a lot of Pete would get rejected.
    He has blocked an Iveys outtake collection for years, presumably because of his arguments that they aren't Iveys tracks, but Badfinger tracks. the Apple publishing demos had clear cut indisputable links of who played what.

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

heh, figures. Even now, the band can't get a break.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. JOSERENATO

JOSERENATO Forum Resident

I love Badfinger!!!!!

longdist01, Scope J and EProphet like this.
  7. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Can we please leave the Joey bashing out of a Badfinger thread just once?

905, Scope J, Shak Cohen and 3 others like this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ah, I thought you were talking about Ass.

So how has all of the unreleased material made it out thus far?

9. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I would be all over those albums if they got a proper reissue on LP. While I have a nice German 70s pressing of Straight Up, I had to settle for US pressings of the other Apple LPs, since finding the UK pressings (in any condition) is quite a challenge.

I'm OK with my original US pressing of Wish You Were Here. It sounds quite good to my ears.

longdist01 and Shak Cohen like this.
  10. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I mentioned it in a different thread but seeing that this is a dedicated Badfinger thread...
    My little Badfinger trivia is...Joey Molland says he's never met Paul McCartney, which sounded odd at first and then I realized the "Come and Get It" association was pre-Joey.

longdist01 and bhazen like this.
  11. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Great band and one of the most tragic stories in Rock. As much as I love the Apple LP's... 'Wish You Were Here' is IMHO the best of all of their LP's. Definitely worth finding either on CD or LP. If you can, try to find a WLP of the album because it definitely sounds different than the CD.

longdist01 and 905 like this.
  12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

How true, it's taken me years to find mint UK copies of everything but No Dice. IMO it was worth the hunt. I was never a fan of the capital pressings. Hopefully i'll find No Dice.

longdist01 likes this.
  13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Badfinger was one of my first favorite bands from when I was a teenager in the 1990's. The radio played Straight Up in it's entirety and I was hooked.

longdist01, 905 and bluejeanbaby like this.
  14. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Still love Magic Christian Music.

Gotta love CARRY ON TILL TOMORROW ! and CRIMSON SHIP and MIDNIGHT SUN.

Oh, crap. Love them all !

15. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Yeah, I've seen UK copies of the other albums sell before, but the condition was always not-so-great or the price was too great! No Dice is the one I have yet to see any UK copies of in the marketplace. I know they exist, but finding one is pretty tough.

longdist01 and Slick Willie like this.
  16. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks AG...I realize that Wish You Were Here is one of their finest...but as a completist,I must get the 1974 Badfinger album also. Lonely You is one of my fave Badfinger tunes ever. What a mess with both Ass and Badfinger coming out within months of each other in the US. Whenever I read about or think about the Badfinger story....it saddens me. That this 'maggot infested leech' Stan Polley could destroy one of the finest rock/ power pop bands of the 70's is depressing. And the bastard ended up living until 2009, while poor Tommy Evans and Pete Ham died so tragically. I hope Polley gets what he deserves in hell !

longdist01 and BeSteVenn like this.
  17. RoryStorm

I love the Head First album....just wish Joey had been involved also. He left in December of 74...they spent time in early 75 with recording Head First and then April 75 Pete killed himself...what a shame....they should've been one of biggest bands of the 20th century !

Warren Hawk and longdist01 like this.
  18. RoryStorm

So what's the scoop on this new live material? Will it see the light of day? Any info on track list?

19. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I'll be playing Wish You Were Here later.. love that album!!

Scope J, Shak Cohen and RoryStorm like this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

A fact that certainly adds to the poignancy of the chorus "I can't live if living is without you"

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Actually it would have been even better if they had followed Straight Up and Ass with Head First :)

MrBigShow and RoryStorm like this.
  22. RoryStorm

Funny you mention it....on my way into work this AM I had Wish You Were Here cranking in the car ! One great tune after another on that one ! Love it !

23. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

Big big fan of Badfinger. Love all the hits but most of the Lp cuts rock as well.

I used to really be into Straight Up, then Ass but lately the two Warner Brothers Lp's are my top picks, Miss You, Dennis, Should I Smoke, Meanwhile Back At The Ranch, Give It Up, Know One Knows to name a few.

jrucker, Shak Cohen and RoryStorm like this.
  24. RoryStorm

You know your Badfinger ! Welcome to the Badfinger congregation !!!!

25. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member