VH1 Classic to air 433-hour Saturday Night Live (SNL) marathon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Wow...just wow.

There are 776 episodes currently of SNL so why don't you go back and do some math on how to evenly distribute in the amount that you feel is sufficient. :rolleyes:

And don't cut me down like that. It was not necessary as it was an opinion.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Yes! Season 10! That's a great episode, too.

3. No it wasn't. They had a few minutes left and were improvising when he said it.

4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I saw that episode a year or two ago, and I agree. It is obvious that she at least did not know he was going to say it or how to respond. In fact, if she hadn't reacted the way she did, I might not even have realized that was the big F-bomb that got everyone fired.

Looking forward to this marathon. Thanks everyone who posted. Probably wouldn't have heard about it otherwise.

kevywevy likes this.
  5. Yep. I watched it live and wasn't even sure he said it until she went nuts.

6. Roger Meadows

Roger Meadows Active Member

I didn't write the article, I only posted it. I don't remember if it seemed planned or not so I'll take your word on it. All I know for certain is as soon as the F-word was uttered the screen went to white noise. My dad and I were upset because we wanted to watch the rest of it.

kevywevy likes this.
  7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I can assure you that this will not get run uncernsored on VH1 Classic.

mmars982 likes this.
  8. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

The version that Comedy Central used to run, jumped past it to go straight to the credits.

9. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

I really liked season 10 (1984-1985), the last with Ebersol at the helm. This had Nathan Thurm, Fernando, Willie and Frankie, Ed Grimly, Tippi Turtle, Wanderer Robert Latta, etc. Guests included Eddie Murphy (Desmond Tutu torching Doug Flutie's Heisman), Ringo and the Kinks playing Do It Again. With this being the lone season with Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, Martin Short and Rich Hall as cast members it's pretty easy for me to remember which skits came from this season and I remember more from Season 10 than I do from any other year. (This season was also cut short, losing three episodes to a writers' strike.) When Netflix had all SNL seasons streaming I watched most of what they had from Season 10, but way too many sketches, like Men's Synchronized Swimming, were cut likely due to music rights. I would love to revisit this season in its entirety.

Hep Alien, Dan C and Mark Nelson like this.
  10. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

My favorite era of SNL is around 1991-1993. I'll definitely try and check out as much of the above two as I can.

11. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

In other programming news, the Golf Channel will have a Charlie Chaplin shorts marathon.

How about some music on your "music" channels, Viacom.

12. bartels76

Hi everyone-
    VH1 Classic has the show info thru next weekend so I set recordings for a ton of eps. Thru next weekend they go up about 1990. So the week leading up to the 40th Anniversary special they will have the first 15 years.

13. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

On Saturday the 31st, they show "MacGruber" scheduled from 10:00-11:30 PM and "Black Sheep" from 11:30 PM-1:00 AM

Meaning that once commercial time is factored in, these versions will run approximately 65 minutes or less.

As far as episodes, the schedule appears to be almost entirely made up of 1-hour edits. When the schedule gets to February 6 the episode lengths vary - some don't even last a full hour, while a couple are 65 minutes. Reminds me a lot of the variety of lengths we see on older SNL episodes on Netflix and Hulu which are edited for material that can't be cleared.

14. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I would ratter see a SCTV marathon

15. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Sounds like a Star Wars marathon where they've solved the "Han shoots first" issue by deleting all Han's scenes.

Pass.

minerwerks likes this.
  16. Somehow my wife and I totally missed the episode from just a few years ago that Brian Williams hosted (of NBC News). Do don't do Hulu, but I'd always been curious to see that one in particular (news junkies that we are).

Will have to see if I can find that particular one on the schedule!!

The Brian Williams episode had Feist as the musical guest, BTW (from 2007, iirc)

====================

Also, I **HAVE** to see if I can catch all of Will Forte's impressions of Zell Miller -- which were hysterical!! A quick look around on-line, and I'm seeing maybe as many as five (5!) times Forte did Zell -- damn, I'm sure I haven't see all five of them. EDIT: Looks like SIX times (HERE).

For my searching on the DVR tonight at home, the guest hosts for Forte's Zell impersonations were:

1. Jude Law/Ashlee Simpson (2004)
    2. Topher Grace/The Killers (2005)
    3. Ashton Kitcher/Gwen Stefani (2005)
    4. Lindsay Lohan/Coldplay (2005)
    5. Jason Lee/Foo Fighters (2005)
    6. Tim McGraw/Ludacris & T-Pain (2008, not a typo, 3 seasons after first five)

Gonna be lookin' for all these, for sure!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I have a VHS of that episode when it reran on Comedy Central in the early-90s and it's all there, with the F-bomb simply silenced out. Horrible 90 minutes of television except for Murphy's 'Mr. Robinson' bit and the Prince performance. It's an incredible train wreck.

dan c

18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I was just getting old enough to love SNL during the Ebersol years, and this season (10) felt like it was 'mine'. I loved it so much, absorbed ever second of it that I could. I probably started regularly watching SNL the season or two before, during Murphy's reign, but season 10 just felt like the freshest and most amazing thing ever. I was 14 though, prime impressionable age.

dan c

8tracks and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  19. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

another thing about this ,its Not HD at least in NY so 1:33 stuff will be tiny

20. bartels76

VH1 Classic does not have an HD channel.

21. bartels76

Re: Ashlee Simpson. They cut the song out where she does the hoe-down but kept her apology in during the closing credits.

22. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

That Will Forte/Zell Miller bit always had me worried he was gonna burst a blood vessel and die! Or a heart attack... :shrug:

23. Yeah, me too (and my wife too). How Forte survived all those Zell Miller bits, I'll never know.

I'm not sure I've ever laughed as hard at any SNL impersonation, though. He went for broke x100 EVERY time he played Zell, like there was no tomorrow!!!

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. But the hoe-doawn was the best part!!!!!!!!!!

bartels76 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Acid reflux ALWAYS makes me dance like that.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.