Cassettes are back in

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ganma, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

Hi-MD discs were ~1GB. 94 min was for uncompressed 16/44.1. Check out sallymae_hogsby's post above.

2. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Keith V and RobGordon35 like this.
  3. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I was referring to plain old MiniDisc, not HD-MD.
    The ones that hold 74 minutes of data, those are lossy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniDisc

Keith V likes this.
  4. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

"The Future Of Tape' -Miss the 90's :cool:

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

This is exciting to me, if only for the fact that I used to love the smell of new cassette tapes, especially the clear plastic ones.

nolazep and Rodz42 like this.
  6. ZeroFourNine

ZeroFourNine Forum Resident

7. Marc Bessette

Marc Bessette The King of Somewhere Cold

Interesting chain of events. Thanks for sharing

8. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I bought a Panasonic desktop cassette recorder recently and you would not believe the excellent voice reproduction it has using the built-in microphone and a TDK D90 tape!

9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

10. ZeroFourNine

I know quite a few non-hipsters who bought that Guardians of the Galaxy cassette soundtrack out of love for the film. A few of them don't even own a cassette player, so there's that. The company that made the cassette is well known for quality product so I doubt very much that the cassettes they produce are prone to disintegration.

I do find it interesting that over 600,000 of the cassettes are being produced for sale by Disney. In a few years, this may be looked back upon as the moment cassettes re-entered mainstream. Or it could be a one off non-event, who knows? Metallica ordering a run of their first album on cassette is interesting news.

I think many people attribute the hipsters with bringing back vinyl and cassettes incorrectly. I grew up with cassettes and vinyl and I buy vinyl for a combination of reasons. If this cassette thing keeps rolling along I may pick up a few. I do have a beard, and I wear flannel and love Wes Anderson movies. Is 38 too old to be a hipster? :)

11. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Many forget the cassette overtook vinyl as a convenience issue too. Walkmans instead of iPods, lesser sound quality but to be honest vinyl in North America was spotty at best at the time...

I liked recording my UK imports onto TEAC cassettes, sounded not bad to me at the time..

12. ZeroFourNine

Must not forget the most important cassette attribute...being able to compile a mixtape. Giving your hipster girlfriend a mix CD could end the relationship.

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

My car had an upswing this morning when I accelerated from zero to one mile an hour.

RevolutionDoctor likes this.
  14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

15. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

Cassettes were for people that didn't have a CD player or bought cassettes because they were cheaper. Nowadays CDs are dirt cheap online so there's really no excuse to go back to cassette tapes other than nostalgia reasons. Heck, even CDs are considered a relic of the past now since most people out there just download music online for free and put it on some portable device.

16. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  17. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I am not nostalgic for the cassette thing at all. But I did grow up on cassettes more than vinyl or CDs. I'm just kind of that age. And yes, I still remember the smell of some of those clear new ones!

Keith V likes this.
  18. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I guess if people start leaving their smartphones, PCs or iMacs and go out to bars, parks or civic gatherings it will all be a "hipster" thing. What will those people think of next? Penmanship and writing actual letters?

I grew up on Lps and cassettes( and an occasional 8-track). They never failed me. And I didn't have to ask the 'starry dynamo in the machinery of the night' to allow me access to my collection.

19. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Minor lapse in hipster judgment. Cassettes belong in the past. I'm sure they'll be back there this time next year.

Ed

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

So all people who still enjoy cassettes are "hipsters"?

21. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

The people who've been into cassettes and never let them go is incredibly low. Those who are currently jumping on that bandwagon - those are the hipsters. I'll stop there because I'm incredibly anti-cassette and I'm unlikely to change anyone's perceptions.

Ed

22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was surprised to see the local music store has a cassette section, including several new releases. I should have saved my vintage 80s Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd cassettes.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I still have all my cassettes from the 80s. :righton:

24. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

My goal is to get all the Genesis albums on Cassette

I have Three Sides Live, Invisible Touch and the Way We Walk vol 1

25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.