Sly Stone wins $5mil lawsuit against ex manager

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoundAdvice, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

True, but they won the case for their client.

Fullbug, starduster and Sneaky Pete like this.
  2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Now comes the hard part: collecting

starduster and Sneaky Pete like this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

You may be correct about that, but time will tell. According to the older TMZ article quoted above, it looks like there is a family living near his van that's kind of keeping an eye on him.

4. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

True justice.

5. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  6. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

Good for him, thank god for his music! Hope he spends it however he wants.

7. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

Talk about a man who contributed a lot! I can't imagine the soundtrack of my youth without him. Get clean, stay clean. Enjoy the rewards of your timeless music and stick around.

Fullbug likes this.
  8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Let's avoid assuming or guessing that Sly still has a drug problem, please.

9. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

In the Unsung episode with him, he was parked in front of his daughter's house.

10. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Reading another article on this. The settlement breakdown is $2.5 million in
    damages against Even St. Productions, $2.45 million against Goldstein and
    $50,000 against attorney Glenn Stone.

Even St. Productions filed for Chapter 11 in 2013. So I don't know where that
    money will come from.

11. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

There will be post trial motions, likely an appeal and then you have to be able to collect, not always an easy task.

I wish him luck and expediency. Getting a jury award of that magnitude is a huge victory.

12. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Yep - just because you sue someone doesn't mean they have now or ever will have the $ to pay up. Plus I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the lawyers get to grab their share first before any cash makes it to the plaintiff. If someone sued me right now, they'd be **** out of luck! :laugh:

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/959568/sly-stone-sues-ex-manager-for-50-million
    Sly "won" about 5-10% of what he was seeking in court. Half the money will never be paid to anyone in the Stone family.

Goldstein has assets, I just wonder if the court can take them. I'm sure Janie Hendrix would write a $2.5m check on the spot if he'd sign a bit of paperwork.

Does Goldstein legally own some of Sly's copyright that are unrelated to this specific case?

Are you actually optimistic about anything he's done in 35+ years? The new track at Coachella was awful and he barely has a speaking voice now.

He admitted on camera to still using coke in 2011. IMO, I doubt he's known a full time sober lifestyle in nearly 50 years.
    http://www.tmz.com/2011/09/27/sly-s...eer-rehab-center-tour-bus-rv-michael-jackson/

14. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Good for him!
    [​IMG]

Oh, wait.... :sigh:

Jack_Straw and BeatlesBop like this.
  15. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Wishing Sly all the best..........

16. They probably take 1/3rd

17. No they would have an agreement for a % which is usually 1/3rd with no up front hourly fees.

18. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Congratulations to Sly. Now after all the lawyer fees he now gets. ........?

He signed over his royalties as a tax dodge, that went bad. Now the IRS will go after him for back taxes on his royalties. The fun is just starting for him.

19. SoundAdvice

Can they go after Goldstein's assets or throw him in jail if appeals go nowhere?

20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I think the assumption that it is all drugs is too simplistic.
    Most musicians are musicians, not lawyers, not accountants, and not businessmen. And for that reason they are easy pickings for the unscrupulous.
    Most certainly his drug problems didn't make his business savvy any better, guys a lot more together and straighter than he is have been taken to the cleaners.
    Mark Farner lost the name "Grand Funk Railroad" even though he IS Grand Funk Railroad. I remember him doing public announcement TV spots in the 70s warning of the dangers of hard drugs.
    John Fogerty doesn't strike me as Mr Bong, but he has apparently made some of the dumbest business decisions in history.
    Many artists have unknowingly signed away the privilege to reap what they have sown, drugs or no drugs.
    Musicians seem to be the perfect rubes.

21. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Oh, it ain't over til its' over.
    He could be 110 before the suit gets completely settled. Well paid lawyers can be quite clever at finding ways of dragging out appeals until kingdom come.

Mr Bass likes this.
  22. SoundAdvice

Didn't Sly still have many of his rights intact well into the 1980's?

Hasn't Sly himself jerked around others at various times with money over the decades?

John Fogerty regained full CCR royalties in 2007 and has always co-owned the name.

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm not assuming that flat-out, but I've spent a fair amount of time wondering what has kept Sly from getting his stuff together at any point over the last 35 years. Music is full of weird, twisted characters who struggle with substances, depression, etc, but....even Axl Rose has shown up for a good 200+ shows over the last decade (even if he's 3 hours late for most of them). It's so sad to see someone of Sly's level and influence so inactive for so long...hell, all he'd have to do is show up at a few dozen gigs, play well, and he could make enough money to never have to work again, and yet...nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  24. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Really? That's why my post was deleted? As recently as 2011 he admitted - publicly - that he has a major cocaine problem. It's not exactly a secret that he still uses heavily. In one sense I guess I'm glad that he won the lawsuit, but $5m is about the worst thing you could give him. So if we're going to jump for joy about this, we might want to take a moment to say how f%&ing sad it is that this man who made some of the greatest records of the period chose to throw it all away for the pipe. He's gone.

This whole thing has made me think a lot about Prince. As much as I'm not a fan of his post-80s output, the guy has kept plugging along, kept being productive. He WORKS. I think he doesn't get enough credit for that.

25. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Those appearances he made a few years ago were so embarrassing. I felt so bad for the rest of the band, who were clearly trying to make it work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.