Beatles: Let it Be (album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith V, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

this is exactly what i proposed on my thread Let it Be the album it could have been

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I think you are absolutely right.

3. muffmasterh

thats correct but the versions Glyn Jones used were little better than demos, the Beatles were correct in that at that time it would been unreleasable.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  4. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Let's move the release date back and add The ballad of Jon and Yoko and Old Brown Shoe. :D

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The Byrds Untitled LP came out in September 1970. So if the Beatles had done a similar type album for Let It Be (studio cuts on one side; live cuts on the other), then they would have been first and The Byrds would have been coping the Beatles. ;)

But now that I think about it, Cream had already done a similar thing on Wheels Of Fire (released July 1968) and Goodbye (released February 1969).

Arnie

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  6. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Wasn't suggesting Byrds were first - just easiest way for me to explain the type of album...I wished the Beatles did release Let It Be like that...They could have cut out Dig It and Maggie May that wa....

7. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Yeesh. Almost as scary as Lennon's desire to release "What's the New Mary Jane" as a single.

3rd Uncle Bob and DrBeatle like this.
  8. Get Back, Let it Be, and Naked... I'm glad we have all three. :D

Robber Soul and Keith V like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

It would have been interesting to see what number on the charts it would have peaked at.

Arnie

10. Back then, would it have to have actually been played on the radio, to chart?

11. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

Love both but find I listen to Naked the most. It engages me the most..

12. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Yet, I would have taken that song on the White Album every day and twice on Sunday over "Revolution 9." It was actually included in the running order for the album right up until the final mixing sessions, IIRC.

Haristar likes this.
  13. I remember the "Christ" caused some concern. Maybe they only played it past your bedtime! Did they have a "Daily Countdown" where it would have been obvious that it was "missing"?

14. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I would have replaced Revolution 9 with What's the New Mary Jane and Not Guilty.

Bewaremylove, bumbletort and DrBeatle like this.
  15. DrBeatle

Same here. In a fricking heartbeat. The White Album is already my favorite Beatles album but with that switcheroo (and I'd have included the unedited coda in "Sexy Sadie") it would have been even better.

Peace N. Love and Haristar like this.
  16. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

My first Beatles album ever, given to me by my mom for Christmas 1970. This started off my complete obsession that has lasted 45 years (so far). I love every bit of it. I wouldn't choose any other version of the album. Not a fan of LIB naked other than the improved sound quality.

17. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Although "Mary Jane" was uber-commercial compared to some of the stuff that Mr. Lennon actually chose to release in the bleak early days of his solo career.

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I had one....as thick as a 78.

An original Beatles album....as maligned as Yellow Submarine.

19. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

It's not too late! This could be a Record Store Day 7" release b/w "You Know Your Name"!

They could even use that RM6 remix version of "Mary Jane" John did just before and intended for the single release, which is starkly different from the Anthology version. It has a ridiculous amount of extra noises (loads of honks, etc.) and delay effects not previously released. Maybe it would chart! :)

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  20. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

At least it wasn't going to be released as The Beatles.

21. slane

slane Forum Resident

As the B-side. 'You Know My Name' was the planned A-side.

22. muffmasterh

not sure which is worse

23. Arnold Grove

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Keith V likes this.
  24. muffmasterh

dont even go there Arnie I was offered the test pressing for this last year, it still haunts me that I turned it down grrrrrrr......

25. DrBeatle

What if the Beatles HAD released that single (and the "Cold Turkey" one) both as John had asked them to? I often wonder if throwing him that bone might have helped to ease tensions and keep the band together a bit longer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.