Marantz TT15-s1 or Vinyl Nirvana tt?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by riverrat, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member Thread Starter

About to pull the trigger on a Marantz TT15-s1 which comes packaged with a Clearaudio Virtuoso cart.

What other table/cart combos should I be considering at this price point ($1500)?

I'm told this table is no longer being made because it undercut Clearaudio's ability to market their own tables. There's still stock in the pipeline, but it seems this table may not be available for much longer. I'm thinking that, at least for buying new, I'd probably have to spend more for the same quality if I dither. (This is how we rationalize such new purchases, eh?)

I've read the online reviews saying this table is basically an upgraded Clearaudio Emotion, packaged with a great cartridge, and represents a great value. I know its been out awhile, but this seems to still hold true.

Before I pull the trigger, I'd love to hear 1) from anyone who owns this table, and 2) what other options would be at this price point, e.g. a restored unit from Vinyl Nirvana.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. easyge

easyge Senior Member

I really like mine. I damaged my cart though so I am using my Denon DL-304. Nice sounding table.

3. riverrat

Thanks for the reply.

I am considering whether or not to flip the Clearaudio cart. I have read that it is not the most durable design.

Most reviews suggest that it does sound great, although there are some that say it is just a prettied up AT95..

4. riverrat

bump...more feedback please!

What is the best value turntable/cart combo for $1500?

5. Sergey Godunov

Sergey Godunov Member

TT15s is the best combo. The cartridge itself is $900. The arm is about $500. Acrylic platter is the best. I used a Mobile Fidelity GeoDisk to align my cartridge and it sounds much better than when I followed the instructions from the manual. I also bought a set of four Vibrapods #3 to isolate the feet and motor. And a thick clear cover on eBay ($300). The cartridge has seen more than 1000 hours and still sounds magnificent. No plans to change anything. Get it from MusicDirect while supplies last.

6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd also check out the Clearaudio Concept deck as well. Lovely. The Marantz was a thing of beauty however.

7. The Marantz is a really nice sounding table and gorgeous to boot. I almost bought it myself, but then I came across a super deal on a Nottingham that I couldn't refuse.

8. Brother_Rael

Oof yes, good on you! The Nottingham tables are stunning.

9. Sergey Godunov

Sergey Godunov Member

Concept is placed below Emotion (Marantz TT15) in the Clearaudio product lineup. The price is the same as Marantz, but that's because Marantz sells them cheaper than their real value.

http://clearaudio.de/en/products/turntables.php

10. Brother_Rael

Maybe is the Performance DC I'm thinking of then. Either way, all rather nice decks!

11. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Myself I bought one of Dave's Thorens tables then came across what I thought was a good deal on a TT15. I still need to set up the Marantz. I'm really looking forward to it. Right now I I don't have time, its either enjoy the Thorens or set up the Marantz. I keep choosing to enjoy the music.

12. Sergey Godunov

Sergey Godunov Member

I've had TT15 for about two years. Very happy. Recently, I've been thinking about getting an Audio Note
    Total agreement here. They are awesome.

13. Sergey Godunov

Sergey Godunov Member

Setting up the TT15 takes 30 minutes tops.

14. Sergey Godunov

Sergey Godunov Member

There's also Audio Note TT-1 with Arm-1 and IQ-1 cartridge that will place you around $1500-2000. Audio Note only make the finest gear.

15. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Tables that I can recommend in this price range are from Mitchell, Notts Analogue and Audio Note. All different flavours. I do suggest OP tracks down dealers and auditions them first. However if the Marantz is shortly to be discontinued it may be available at an advantageous price. The other alternatives give the option of choosing tonearm and cartridge which may or may not be a more attractive proposition.

17. russk

russk Forum Resident

I'd give the Marantz a good listen to. I really didn't care for its sound at all and I second Mitchell. They make beautiful decks but will definitely top out your price range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.