Pete Townshend and . . . Ian Hunter?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by curbach, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet Thread Starter

So I'm watching Amazing Journey: The Story Of The Who this evening and at the end of the second disc is a featurette on the recording of "Real Good Looking Boy". It's pretty fun to watch Pete and Roger in the studio with Rabbit Bundrick, Zak Starkey, and Greg Lake of all people. I'd never heard the song before since they chose to release it on some otherwise useless compilation album.

Anyway, no offense to Roger, but the whole time I'm hearing this song I'm thinking it would sound way better with Ian Hunter singing it. It sounds tailor-made for him, and would have fit in nicely on any of his recent albums. So I'm suddenly thinking a Townshend/Hunter collaboration could be really interesting. I wonder if it could ever happen. Probably not :)

2. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Pete is not good in collaborations, he doesn't like it, he like to work alone. There's an interview in the web where he say this.

wavethatflag likes this.
  3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It took Pete 25 years to release a "Who" album........

4. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Ian Hunter's only 75. He can wait.

kBear, dkmonroe and majorlance like this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Rough Mix was great though!

6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

They can celebrate his 100th birthday:)

8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Jeez...is Ian really 75???!!! I'm gonna be devastated when his time comes up.

9. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Amazing Record. Is just a miracle of collaboration in Pete case. But in Rough Mix there's no really colaboration, except for Heart to Hang Onto. Just Pete's songs and Ronnie's songs.

10. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Even Rough Mix had a punch-up or two before they were through.

11. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Roll another one, just like the other one ....and pass it over to me.

12. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I think Pete and Roger need Ian more than the other way around.....Endless Wire gathers dust while I regularly play Rant, Shrunken Heads, Man Overboard and When I'm President.

slipkid and howlinrock like this.
  13. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Honestly, much as I like some that Ian Hunter has done, PT is used to working with one of the greatest voices to come from rock music. I seriously doubt Mr Hunter has the vocal range or the voice control to do even the least complex of what PT writes.
    As well as, anything IH could sing that PT writes, PT could likely sing better.

14. curbach

Yeah, I thought about that. Ian is used to running his own show too. Probably a bad mix of two alpha personalities.

15. curbach

Well, this is the age old question of technical ability versus that certain something that singers like Dylan, Neil Young, Ian Hunter and Lucinda Williams bring to the table. In the particular case of "Real Good Looking Boy", I think there is a lot of room for emotional nuance in the delivery that Hunter could put across better than Daltrey. For my money, few singers do wistful nostalgia better than Ian Hunter. But you don't have to agree :)

wayneklein, Sandinista and dkmonroe like this.
  16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

"How the **** do you get your hair to do that?"

"Wouldn't you like to know!"

keef00 likes this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't think there'd be much air left in the room if Pete and Ian were locked inside and forced to collaborate.

They may both be older and presumably wider, but this doesn't sound like something that would work well.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  18. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Didn't Pete say that Rough Mix was originally going to be made with Ray Davies? Imagine those two working together!

Dave Hoos and wavethatflag like this.
  19. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

That song was produced by his younger brother Simon. I bet that there were some interesting clashes over that, can't imagine Pete not interfering!

20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Like I say, I like Ian Hunter and consider him to be an excellent showman and good entertainer. But Pete Townsend is one picky dude in the studio. I think "almost" notes would make him grit his teeth.

21. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

They're both as deaf as a post so it could be really interesting.

22. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Mott The Whopple?

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yup, most of us gain weight as we get older!

That is a hilarious slip (I'm assuming it was a typo). In any case I gotta remember that one - older and wider :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.