Roxy Music SHM-SACD catalog releases announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The Best Of is not included in this reissue series.

eelkiller likes this.
  2. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I know that, but I have the original one and the audio quality of the versions on it left a lot to be desired, certainly compared to the Avalon SACD.

3. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

If there is no number of copies under a particular title (For Your Pleasure Platinum SHM CD) does that mean that title has sold out?

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I think that's related to the estimated shipping date, ie. if no copies are left you'll have to wait until they re-stock.

5. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I admit I got really nervous with these, particularly after the last two Steely Dan SACDs sold out in 8 minutes, or some ridiculously short timeframe, on CD Japan. Similarly The Beatles SHMs didn't last long. I probably would have waited a bit before ordering these but in the end I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I can recommend a couple of excellent Japanese sellers on eBay, if you're interested. Their prices are a little higher than CD Japan, but the goods are here in less than a week, p+p is cheap and I've never had an instance where my goods have been subject to import tax. Sadly, the latter happened all too frequently with CD Japan...

7. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Thank you for the advise. I've also stopped buying from CD Japan. Their stuff almost always end up in customs!

fredblue likes this.
  8. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Stranded and Country Life along with The Band S/T arrived here just now - spinning Stranded and it sounds great, but I haven't got a comparison discs on hand so will refrain from going overboard with praise.

dartira and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That one was a bit weak

10. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

100% agree! I went with your recommendation of those eBay sellers for SHM SACDs and Platinum SHMs and have never looked back.. fast shipping and never been whammed by customs' duty so far!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Glad to hear it. They are a little more expensive than CD Japan, but you don't have to live in fear of getting one of those little cards from Royal Mail explaining your package has been 'detained' and an extra fee is required.

Another good thing about those eBay sellers is that they only sell what they have in stock. You never have to wait for them to get extra copies in.

I'm glad you're happy. I just hate the thought of you getting whammed!

fredblue likes this.
  12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

SHM-SACDs are "cheap" at jpc.... I pay less than 37 bucks. No shipping costs!

13. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Thank you for sparing me the whamming :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

With you on your sick bed it's the last thing you need!

fredblue likes this.
  15. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

what is jpc??

16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Anyone spinning these yet? I've not heard Avalon in hi-res, so I'll go for that one first tonight.

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My Roxy Music SACDs have arrived.

Shvartze Shabbos, jh901 and fredblue like this.
  19. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

Just received all eight SHM-SACD's this morning also (FedEx Int'l Priority)! I won't be able to hear them until I get home to my SACD player. Until then my eye is on this thread waiting for reviews...

20. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Where/ who did the tape transfer to DSD for Roxy Music?

21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Wish we got a mastering credit, but I'd guess it's the same one they used for Sex Pistols since those tapes were also in the UK. Anyhow, the blurb mentions the tape research and then:

DSD flat transferred from UK original analogue master tapes
    Edited in DSD by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Music Studios, Tokyo, in 2015.

I gave Avalon a spin and enjoyed, but didn't consider how it compares with the box set. Generally, the sound was big and open. Really nice.

22. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Says Abbey Road for tape research.

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Exactly when they list X number remaining that is just their way of enticing a buyer to act fast. It works sometimes ;)

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

MANIFESTO sounds good on SHM-SACD. Nice full, even audio characteristics all around. Quiet recording. Nice album! Hadn't heard it in 25 years.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I ordered Stranded, Country Life and Siren. But now, I'm looking at The Complete Studio Albums (Vinyl), to be released in March:

"For the first time, ‘The Studio Albums’ brings together every one of the band’s peerless studio albums on 180gm vinyl, mastered at half-speed at Abbey Road Studios by respected engineer Miles Schowell. The albums, which have never sounded better on the format, come with complete original sleeve and inner sleeve reproductions including original artwork, lyric sheets and high-end gloss finishes. There will also be a voucher inside every box to download the albums, for free, on MP3.

Contents: ‘Roxy Music’ (1972); ‘For Your Pleasure’ (1973); ‘Stranded’ (1973); ‘Country Life’ (1974); ‘Siren’ (1975); ‘Manifesto’ (1979); ‘Flesh + Blood’ (1980); and ‘Avalon’ (1982)."

[​IMG]

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.