Worst stereo mix in rock and roll history, worst mono mix....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Your post just reminded me of something funny from back in the days. I purchased Disraeli Gears and Surrealistic Pillow stereo records new a couple of months apart from each other. The only phonograph I had to play those records on was my parents Packard Bell stereo (tube) console with one of the stereo channels not working on it. I played those records so much on that unit that believe it or not, I didn't know what the actual stereo mix sounded like and I got use to it sounding that way. Once I heard it on someone else properly working stereo, it sounded really weird to me.

2. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Flesh-toned vinyl?

3. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

I've grown accustomed to the original mono 45 and stereo LP mixes of One Fine Morning but they're still wonky and unbalanced.

Always got a kick out of the misleading "a stereo dimension recording" on the label of the mono Evolution 45 too!

Interestingly, when One Fine Morning was released on CD in the 1990s the stereo LP version was remixed with what sounds like a re-recorded drum and bass track, and the tambourine was moved a little further back in the mix. To my knowledge, this remixed version has appeared on most CDs having the LP version, beginning with Bill Inglot's Super Hits of the Seventies Volume 6.

Here's the remixed LP version of One Fine Morning which appears on many CDs (disregard the misleading album that plays in the video):

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

offED:
    DCC, a US company, was re-releasing what had been all so a US album [ATCO in mono '66 & in stereo '67] in the US as a "Special EDition" CD & "LimitED EDition" LP.
    It certainly should have been on the re-issue.
    And you should have no issue that it was.
    If DCC said it was re-issuing the original UK on Reaction album, then it shouldn't have been on there, butt they didn't ["SE" or "LE"].
    I'll bet Polydor/PolyGram had more too do w/what was or w/wasn't on the DCC "SE or LE" re-issue than Steve did.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I want the album that Clapton, Bruce and Baker put together, not ATCO's bastardization of it. You're just posting this because you want to say "LimitED EDition".

ubiknik likes this.
  6. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I was listening to the live half of John Lennon's 'Some Time in New York City' vinyl yesterday, the side with 'Cold Turkey' on it. It sounded horrible in stereo, so I switched it to mono and it improved. Does anyone know if that is a mono recording?

7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

offED:
    Wrong.
    Butt if you want "the album that Clapton, Bruce and Baker put together, not ATCO's bastardization of it" don't buy any "SE or LE" [see? why your wrong!]
    &
    don't post that "... it shouldn't even be on... " "Steve's Fresh Cream Gold Disc... " either [which was "Special"/not "original"].
    Just post you like or want the original track listing only; instead of pointing the finger at people and/or a company trying too give other fans something too enjoy.

"It ain't just about you & it ain't just about me" [TM]

8. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Worst mono mix? No, but pretty bad because the Fairchild compressor was set to 'stun': the mono Revolver, or how to obliterate Ringo in the loud parts.

9. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

In some cases the awful mix is a minor irritant, in others it is horribly frustrating and in sthen others it utterly ruins the track.
    A case of the latter that springs to mind is the simple, lead vocal in one speaker and backup singers in the others mix in the
    My boyfriends Back I have on a famous girl group compilation. Utterly ruins the track. I can't imagine ANYONE who loves the single
    sitting through this without throwing something.

10. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Some idioms just don't translate.

11. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

I took a recording studio course at a recording studio in the 1970s. They had a 3" speaker in there for that very purpose.

McLover likes this.
  12. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Vive la differance! I prefer the YSS remix by a wide margin.

13. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Surfin Safari was available in duophoic; after that there were stereo versions available. That said, Brian's deaf in one ear, so god knows who mixed them...

14. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Except the guitar solo is mixed too low.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  15. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

It wasn't until I read it on this forum that I noticed that Paul's vocal is slightly out of sync on the YSS remix. Now I can't unhear it. Thanks everybody. Happy to share the favor!:nyah:

16. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Please tell us where to find a true stereo version of the Surfin' Safari album. I'm sure there are a lot of people on the forum that would like to know. (hint: it doesn't exist)

McLover and Blue Cactus like this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think he meant later albums were true stereo...

DavidFell and GroovinGarrett like this.
  18. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I don't want the original only. I want the LP as submitted originally, and then load on as many bonus tracks as you can get on there. I want I Feel Free to be a bonus track and Spoonful to be part of the album, like it was supposed to be (and I Feel Free is my favorite track on there anyway, it just doesn't belong on the album). And there's never been a special edition of Fresh Cream anyway. Disreali yes, but Fresh, no.

19. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Chuck Britz.

Michael P and DavidFell like this.
  20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

off:
    Now your posting a release on CD & LP [the vinyl did have a "Limit" too it's run] a w/bonus tracks isn't "Special".
    OK
    It's the "normal"... no, it's not the normal!
    It's the "original"... nope, it is not the original!
    What kind of release was the DCC CD & the DDC LP any way?!?!
    Oh yeah, "Bastardization".
    :uhhuh:

21. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Of course, I knew someone here would have the answer.

22. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Yes.

23. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

What about the Australian stereo mix with the panned channels?

24. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

I once bought a copy of the Blind Faith LP. Literally the worst mix I had ever heard. Dropouts and stuff, absolutely horrible. (I didn't think there were multiple mixes, but I guess there are?) Then when it started skipping I jumped for joy and returned it to the store.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Just one mix as far as I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.